So i just got a bass head and bought a cab for 200 bucks. the thing has awesome cleans but no dirty channel, and my sd-1 isnt getting me good enough distortion. im playing a schecter c-1 elite so far ive been looking at the ehx metal muff with top boost, the mxr distortion 3 , the mxr fullbore metal, and the boss metal zone. which one do you think is the best for metallica and other 80s type metal
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Elite (Seymour Duncan JB/59 set)
Ibanez PF15ECE
Custom EVH strat (Dimarzio Super Distortion)
Amps
Peavey Vypyr 15
Acoustic 220 Head
B-52 Cab
Pedals
Boss SD-1
Boss DS-1
Boss CE-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i have the metal zone, and i love it. try out the pedals if you can and see which has more of what you r looking for.
I have a Digitech Metal Master and it's very good. I don't use it anymore though.
if u have ears you'll realize how bad the boss and mxr are

go with the metal muff
Quote by 1jack369
if u have ears you'll realize how bad the boss and mxr are

go with the metal muff

the fullbore IS better than the MM IMO..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I have a MM w/top boost for sale for $50. PM me if interested.
Quote by 1jack369
nah thats just the gate talking lol

i tried both dude.......

and BTW ts, if you have a budget of 120-150 look at AMT pedals
feel free to add me
Either the Metal Muff or the MXR Fullbore in your budget.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the fullbore IS better than the MM IMO..

Time for a hearing test, son. The Fullbore is godawful.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If you cant find a used Tech 21 GT2, go with the Metal Muff or Hardwire, though Im not a huge fan of either.

Depending on the kind of 80s metal youre talking about, an MI Audio Crunch Box may fit as well.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by CleanCanvas

try hardwire TL-2 Metal distortion

+1! I live for Hardwire...great pedals/
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Stay away from the metal zone, it is noisy and takes away any dynamics in your guitar, amp or technique.
does TS mean a bassMAN head or like just a bass guitar head or what??

anyway id go with a blackstar dist x

or maybe if its tube/valve u could just get TS9/TS808 maybs
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Time for a hearing test, son. The Fullbore is godawful.

i HATED the MM, its muddy and uncontrollably fizzy .

im not saying the Fullbore is the best.im just saying its better than the muff but it still doesnt match the TL-2
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

im not saying the Fullbore is the best.im just saying its better than the muff but it still doesnt match the TL-2

+1 the MM is simply a fizz box, and a bit overhyped imo.damn shame because i had a chance for one for 30 bucks too
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
the metal zone actually isnt bad if your playing any type of extreme metal. i know for a fact cannibal corpse uses it, and they have a sic tone IMO. it just seems like people rag on it because you cant get good moderately overdriven tones. just my view though
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by sound-byte
the metal zone actually isnt bad if your playing any type of extreme metal. i know for a fact cannibal corpse uses it, and they have a sic tone IMO. it just seems like people rag on it because you cant get good moderately overdriven tones. just my view though

I rag on it because the EQ is worthless. I mean it's a good EQ system, but you'll be too busy using to to fix that 'half-cocked wah' sound to actually use the EQ the way it's meant to be used.

I don't think any of these pedals will give you the sound you want, unless you mean Bassman, as mentioned earlier. A bass amp will NOT give you a good metal sound, period. Well, not unless you're seriously downtuned. It's designed to handle a lower register, and anything above that will sound pretty weak.

That said, I always recommend www.olcircuits.com. They cost more, but it's worth every cent. Go there, pick out a pedal based on the massive amp you wished you owned, and wait for Mike to make it for you. He can even make suggestions of switch out components if you plan on playing downtuned or using a weird rig.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

I still think the TL-2 is fizzy.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I still think the TL-2 is fizzy.

its not as fizzy as the MM and the Fullbore
feel free to add me
Barber Dirty Bomb or Hardwire TL-2. The ProGuitarShop demo doesn't really do the pedal justice, IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Barber Dirty Bomb or Hardwire TL-2. The ProGuitarShop demo doesn't really do the pedal justice, IMO.
Maybe that's why I think it's fizzy if you're talking about the TL-2.
I was talking about the TL-2.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The HardWire stuff is pretty rockin'. Miles ahead of anything else Digitech makes. I'm kind of a snob about that sort of thing, and even I like them.
The only thing the Hardwire series could use would be a Hardwire Whammy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Hardwire Whammy.

+10282383959237423
feel free to add me
The only thing is that it's pretty unlikely, because the Hardwire series was designed by Hardwire (not DigiTech) which was a company that DigiTech acquired, but who knows?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Fullbore is HORRIBLE. No low end, buzzy, disgusting.

Unless you can find a Keeley MT-2 for under $100, save up.
The Trex Bloody Mary was fairly good for a highgain pedal imo.

The problem with massive gain pedals is they either sound too fuzzy (metal muff), too digital (hardwire metal), not enough gain or too much gain or too buzzy (blackstar ht-dis)

Consider it like a normal amp and try before you buy.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
If you cant find a used Tech 21 GT2, go with the Metal Muff or Hardwire, though Im not a huge fan of either.

Depending on the kind of 80s metal youre talking about, an MI Audio Crunch Box may fit as well.

i 2nd this. i got mine 65 dollars shipped on ebay. best distortion i've ever had in front of me. blows the rest out of the water. i use it over the distortion settings on my vox amp (it has like 18 dif distortions) it just destroys, and type of gain you want, it's ****ing got it. i say wait around til you find a deal on this.
Best idea is to get a used MT-2 and do the Monte Allums mods to it. Monte Allums MT-2 > Keeley MT-2 IMO.
If that fails, try to hunt down an HM-2 if you can dig the oldschool Swedish death metal toanz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Dirty Bomb is a great option, I have one on order. Yeah used GT2 is also kickass, but the EQ isn't too powerful IMO...

And yeah DON'T buy a fullbore, sounds terrible...
Quote by jean_genie
A bass amp will NOT give you a good metal sound, period. Well, not unless you're seriously downtuned. It's designed to handle a lower register, and anything above that will sound pretty weak.

I disagree. I find bass amps are great for Metal. they have a better low end control and sound a lot less flabby then some guitar amps when cranked. i know for a fact Josh Homme used bass amps in Kyuss
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
does the bass head have a line in or FX return? if so, i'd try going from the vypyr's headphone out into that on the bass amp, you'll get the vypyr's modeling with the bass head's power amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.