Hey, Im looking to buy a new amp as im currently using a behringer usb interface thing.
The bands i listen to/play are metallica, slayer, alter bridge etc.
The amps im looking at are the blackstar ht5, peavey windsor, krank rev jr pro, egnater rebel.
Im leaning towards the cheapest two (Blackstar, peavey) and wondering if the blackstar is loud enough to gig, and if the peavey is quiet enough for bedroom practise.
Suggestions are welcome, but im on a pretty tight budget.
Thanks,
Fraser
Last edited by BurningAlive409 at Oct 13, 2009,
the blackstar will be able to play small gigs not hooked upto a pa system but it would be a good idea, you can practice in your bedroom with anything all you have to do is kepp the volume low
You don't need more than around 60w for a good sized gig, and most places that are larger run a front house PA anyway, so you'd be going partially through that as well. As far as low enough wattage to play in a bedroom, you only need around 5w for that. Too many watts won't allow for enough volume to get appropriate headroom to sound good, and that's not wonderful.

I don't have much experience with the Windsor, but I've heard good things about it. Another suggestion is that you may want to look used - you can find great deals if you know where and how to look.

What's your budget, anyway? It'll be helpful from this point on to know what you can spend.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
you could get a blackheart handsome devil and a good 2x12 cab for that, the handsome devil is a 15 watt head that can be turned down to a 7 watt amp when needed
Ive looked into the handome devil before, but im unsure of how much gain it has?
Its also more expensive then the windsor, which ive heard is a great jcm 800 copy, and since most of my favourite bands have used 800s i thought it would be more suited to me?
i've heard that for the windsor it will only go as far as classic rock and that it will play metal with the help of a good overdrive pedal, the blackheart is basically built to play metal.
Strange, i heard that the other way round really (blackheart for classic rock) But i will probably buy a boost/overdrive pedal sometime soon anyway
Does anyone have experience with the blackheart?
i.e. does it have enough gain for metallica?
Is it loud enough to gig?
Quote by BurningAlive409
Does anyone have experience with the blackheart?
i.e. does it have enough gain for metallica?
Is it loud enough to gig?

I'd get a OD to get most Blackhearts into metal territory. For some Blackheart amps, a distortion would be better.

IMO, I find Blackhearts a little too loose on the bass end. Not exactly your ideal metal amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
IMO, I find Blackhearts a little too loose on the bass end. Not exactly your ideal metal amp.

This has always been what i had thought, but further up sombody said that they were built for metal?
Im kind of leaning towards the windsor, as its definatly giggable, gets great reviews and is the cheapest, but any other better suggestions?
The Windsor is probably your best option. They have a great JCM tone. Just get a boost and/or EQ for it...and avoid the Peavey cab if at all possible. There is no low end at all in that cab.
Quote by BurningAlive409
This has always been what i had thought, but further up sombody said that they were built for metal?
Im kind of leaning towards the windsor, as its definatly giggable, gets great reviews and is the cheapest, but any other better suggestions?

There is no way that the Blackheart is made for metal. I have personal experience with the Blackheart and its no way a metal machine. Its bass is too loose and it doesn't have sufficient gain without an OD pedal in front of the amp. Also, its very easy to get power saturation on this amp, which will muddy up things as you get louder.

I'd also recommend you take a look at the Krank Rev Jr Pro. Its aggressive, has tight bass and has more gain than most people will ever need. I personally found it more metal oriented than the HT-5.

The sweep knob on the Krank makes it hell of a versatile... and when dialed in correctly on the sweep and EQ, it brings you quite close to the MkIV mode on the Mesa MkV (I can attest to this as I own both the Krank Rev Jr Pro and the Mesa Mk V).

Overall, its tight, aggressive, a gain machine made for metal with good cleans. Add in a chorus and you've got powerful dirty gain for metal and shimmering cleans for everything else.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ive had a look at the krank, very interested but i cant seem to find anywhere in the uk that supplies kranks?
Hmm... a quick search on the interwebz suggest that Machinehead used to stock them, http://www.machinehead.co.uk/. However a visit to the site did not show any Krank amps.

Another source suggested that Sounds Great Music stocks them. http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com ... so maybe you could call them up or check out the website.

Also I know for a fact that another UGer went down to Denmark Street in London and actually walked out with a Krank Rev Jr. So you should probably make a trip down to Denmark Street if you can.

Alternatively, go to the Krank site, join the forums and ask for UK dealers... their head tech posts under the name KrankTech and usually replies to posts which require his attention within 2 days. Don't e-mail Krank, they never reply, but they monitor their forums like hawks, which I suppose is much better in a way.

Also, note that if you want to pick up the low wattage Revs... pick up the Krank Rev Jr Pro and not the Krank Rev Jr.

The Krank Rev Jr is very much less gain than the Rev Jr Pro. The Rev Jr is very much a classic rock amp and you're only gonna get up to early Sabbath levels of gain. The Rev Jr Pro has more gain than you'll ever need. Plus the Rev Jr has no EQ section for its clean channel, whereas the Rev Jr Pro has a Bass and Treble control for its clean section.

Also, at least try the Rev Jr Pro before making a decision. Krank unfortunately gets a lot of unjustified flame due to their association with Dimebag. However, there is one thing a lot of people agree on: Krank amps have a love-hate relationship with guitarist. You either love the tone, or you hate it. There's no 2 way about it. I personally think its a tight bass and the aggressive growl to the amp, which makes it a very metal amp. If you don't like a hint of aggressive metal to your tone, it might not be the right amp for you.

I for one like the tone and the capabilities of the Rev Jr Pro. Sure it wasn't the cheapest low wattage amp, but for the versatility and the fact that it has got crazy high metal gain and yet good cleans in a small package is pretty cool.

Plus it looks darn cute lol.

I know of both UGers who liked the Rev Jr Pro after trying it... but I also know of UGers who weren't blown away by the amp. You really have to try it before you can make a decision.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 16, 2009,
Right registered and posted at the krank forum, but thanks everyone for your input, i really appreciate it
Did you post under the same name at the forums or another name... I'll track the postings there too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah same name, i got a reply there saying pm kranktech about it, seems there is a uk dealer, they just have a website and are on the other side of the country
Just found another possibility, but its not out for a few months, the new peavey 6506 plus 1x12 combo at 60 watts, any opinions?
Quote by BurningAlive409
Just found another possibility, but its not out for a few months, the new peavey 6506 plus 1x12 combo at 60 watts, any opinions?

Dude... there are a number of posts regarding this amp. As a reference point, just check out the head version.

As for the quality, no one can tell as its not available to the public yet, but JSYK its Made in China... home to low quality buildings and poisoned milk powder.

FWIW, I found the 6505 and 6505+ a little dark sounding for Metallica. That said, I'm not a big fan of the tone, though I admit it has it uses.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 19, 2009,
Are you BurningAlive for it?

/lame joke

I'd go Windsor. Hotrod JCM for the cheaps, and thoss in an OD or EQ and you have a versatile thrash setup.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Ok, thanks everyone i think i will go for the windsor, Once i can afford that, since i just got myself fired