Hi all I've been singing for a couple of years now, and I have a bass-baritone range from about D2-G4, although I can reach a low C or a high Bb with some effort.

Now, a lot of my higher register can be quite strained and trebly, particularly when I'm singing softly, and my head voice is generally weak and scratchy.

Right now I'm living in a shared room in student dorms so it's practically out of the question to practice my belting, so I've been reduced to singing softly.

My questions are; what can I do to improve my soft singing, how can I translate this technique into louder singing, and does this mean that my "loud" technique is poor?

I've received plenty compliments for my voice, and my tone is somewhat similar to Caleb Followill from Kings of Leon(in songs like On Call, Use Somebody) I never feel discomfort while singing, but after a long show I often lose my falsetto and find it harder to sustain higher notes.
Well, you shouldn't be focusing on pushing hard or using a lot of force/power to achieve a 'louder' voice anyway, so don't do that. As far as singing softly and cleanly, imagine that your voice, the air that propells it, is arcing across the roof of your mouth on its way out. This will lessen the strain on the vocal chords and produce a lighter sound - thinking of it this way, if dont right, coaxes the muscles to act differently when singing.

I think you should decide what it is to you exactly to sing softly - it can mean strong but with low volume, quiet and even, a whisper like quality instead of the more rounded, bassy tone associated with louder volume singing, the amount of force used, etc. If volume is your only concern, just use less air pressure when putting the notes out.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
OK I've been taking your advice and I can see myself improving with a bit of time and practice, I hope.

Thing is, ever since I started trying, my head voice is really quivery, and I find it really hard to hold a note without it wavering. I'm also not totally sure if it's my head voice I'm talking about. I think it's the same register as in Falling Down by Muse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQU2BKVzAJU&feature=related

It sorta feels like its created in the back of my throat and I can 'slide' up to it from chest voice without breaking. Just putting it into words now it seems like it might be the wrong technique=S

eh, any clue?
Last edited by Declan87 at Oct 16, 2009,
You're probably talking about a minor falsetto. It's going to be 'wobbly' or 'quivery' until you learn to evenly distribute your air throughout the note. Just keep practicing and it'll come It's all about wind control, man. Without that, it'll never be even, true, or powerful as you want it to be.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Are you sure you're not talking about your falsetto?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
It sounds like he is to me.

About you starting to lose some of your notes after a while of singing, that means you're doing something wrong. If you are singing with proper technique, your voice will actually be stronger at the end of the night than it was at the beginning, and stronger by the end of your six-month world tour than it was at the beginning.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.