we all have different music tastes :/

we have all been wanting to get into the studios for a VERY long time, so we thought we might have a jam, see heres the thing

Me - Oasis, Kasabian, The Enemy, Ocean Colour Scene, The Stone Roses.
Drummer - Metallica, SOAD, ETC.
Guitarist - All Time Low, You Me At Six, Paramore, ETC.
Other Guitarist - Megadeth, Slayer, Trivium, Machine Head, Slipknot, ETC.

so what do we do? play covers? or make our own music straight away? or do we quit and never ever ever speak to each other again?

thanks in advance
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Quote by J.J.Jolly
we all have different music tastes :/

we have all been wanting to get into the studios for a VERY long time, so we thought we might have a jam, see heres the thing

Me - Oasis, Kasabian, The Enemy, Ocean Colour Scene, The Stone Roses.
Drummer - Metallica, SOAD, ETC.
Guitarist - All Time Low, You Me At Six, Paramore, ETC.
Other Guitarist - Megadeth, Slayer, Trivium, Machine Head, Slipknot, ETC.

so what do we do? play covers? or make our own music straight away? or do we quit and never ever ever speak to each other again?

thanks in advance

Im in the same situation as you... I can tell you, there will be problems and It might get hard, but still sometimes you get really nice results if you make your own music. : D
yh, we said we would give it ago and see how it sounds, plus me and the guitarist get on really well when making music, so it should be quite a bit of fun and it will be exciting to hear how its gonna sound

Quote by demon.guitarist
Just because you have different music tastes doesnt mean any music you make will be crap. In fact the differences may make it unique and interesting to listen to. Give it a go and see what you think.

+1
Me and my bandmates have different tastes and whenever we jam and write new songs the results are quite interesting.
aslong as the metallica/megadeath etc guys arnt like 'i wanna do thrash metal and refuse to do anything else' then you should be fine n dandy. (disclaimer: thats why me and my mate quit our band, only it was drummer and bassist that refused to do owt else but METALLLLL)
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Unless there's a great chemistry and the mixture of genres blend well together, it's hopeless. You'll always be arguing over what to play.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
just jam

if you guys know 12 bar blues, just jam
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
this is a good thing. Gives you a bigger library to pull from as far as how your songs could sound. This is how you get an original band. Now just ****ing jam
-ALe
It can work quite well and frankly, its going to be huge benefit to you as a bass player. The more styles of music you can master, the better a bass player you'll become and you'll be in higher demand. As a musician you really need to be open minded, and as long as no one in the group is stubborn regarding their musical tastes, it can work and be fun.

And yes, it can lead down some interesting improv paths. A guitarist who we play with occasionally got into a Buckethead kick, which was cool until we went to jazz practice that night. I ended up picking up his vibe and threw in a slightly funky bass line in the piece we were playing. Let's just say it was one of the more interesting renditions of "Girl from Impanema".
Jam jam jam. Throw in a few covers, but change them up by improvising, adding effects that aren't supposed to be there, play them in a different tuning ect.

And make sure none of you have crazy bad tempers. My last band broke up because the drummer and guitarist wanted "br00t@l metal," i wanted ska/punk, and the vocalist wanted pop punk. Unfortunately we weren't patient enough to work it out

Most of all, have fun!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Music is music, different styles only makes it more interesting.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
well basically, i went to this, and it went ok, we changed instruments, jammed out, it was quite fun to be honest, i guess it does work, thanks guys

Quote by basser4ever123
just jam

if you guys know 12 bar blues, just jam
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I imagine cool stuff resulting.

some kind of pop metal.

call yourselves Jonas Priest.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom