I'm setting up my ESP and been studying up on turning the truss rod. After searching the forums here I came across this post..

"do this check:
1 fret the low E on the 1st fret (use capo if you have it)
2 fret the low E on the fret where the neck meets the body (still fretting it on the 1st fret)
3 check out the 8th-9th fret. there should be a small gap (max 0.5 mm) between the fret and the low E string
if there's no gap the truss rod is too tight
if there's too much gap (more than a credit card thickness) it's too loose

ok, so first read this:
http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

now that you've read it (if not, do it) you probably know what you should be doing.
if there's no gap you should loosen the truss rod.
if there's too much gap you should tighten it.
half of milimeter is usually considered as perfect neck relief (the gap i've mentioned) but it can vary a little depending on how you like it better. if you can avoid buzzing with less neck relief, then keep it that way.
now, to turn the truss rod nut you'll need an allen wrench.
turn the nut counterclockwise to loosen the trussrod (more gap) or clockwise to tighten (less gap).
turn in small amounts, only 1/8 of turn, max 1/4 of turn. turn slowly and carefully.
if it seems too hard to turn don't do it yourself, you could break the truss rod, ask for proffesional help.
also remember to wait for around an hour between adjustements. it takes time for necks to adjust to new amount of tension and settle.
be careful and patient, it took me two days until i was completely satisfied with my setup...
if you're not sure what you're doing than you're better of taking your guitar to a proffesional.
if there's anything you don't understand or if i forgot to say something, just ask...
hope i helped. good luck!"

the part that says

if there's no gap the truss rod is too tight
if there's too much gap (more than a credit card thickness) it's too loose

is this correct information?
Yeah, generally speaking, although it's not an exact science. A set of feeler gauges will get you the most accurate results.
Hi, I'm Peter
yeah I got some feeler gauges and i'm guessing 0.10" around the 7-8th fret is good right? should this measurement been done with the first fret and the fret net neck attach to guitar (16th I believe) be held down or should I use the gauges without it being fretted? I do the measurements in playing position also.
accurate measurements are useless set it up to what feels right and what you`ve quoted sounds like it`s straight from the ibby prestige manual, whilst it is correct information no two guitars are alike, aslong as your getting no fret buzz and it feels comfortable to play and bending and legato licks sound and feel right then your guitar is setup.

a guitar setup is personal as to how you want it, not what a manual says, although the techniques are the same for every guitar except generic hardware/ spec differences.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 13, 2009,
well i'm just getting fret buzz on the E and A strings everything else is going and i've tried adjusting the action.

I probably need to loosen it a bit more, and I usually give it a day or two settle I was just making sure I was following correct information.
Last edited by SpawnSC at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by SpawnSC
well i'm just getting fret buzz on the E and A strings everything else is going and i've tried adjusting the action.

I probably need to loosen it a bit more, and I usually give it a day or two settle I was just making sure I was following correct information.

if you're getting buzz that transmits thru the amp.

if adjusting at the bridge doesn't help, and you have less than a credit cards thickness at the middle relief when holding the first and last fret, where the neck and body meet,

then turn the truss rod 1/4 counter clockwise.
don't force the turn and leave it in tune while it settles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011