So five months into learning guitar and I am not sure where to go. I know a decent amount of open and barre chords (M, m, 7, m7, M7, sus etc.) and I am pretty good at playing them. I have no problem with power chords (learned alot of white stripes songs). I can listen to songs and figure them out pretty easily. Just not sure where to go now. Thanks for your suggestions, i'm sure you get these threads alot, sorry.
Make sure you also understand the building of the chords, and not just the shapes.

Because alot of people say, "Hey I know a Cmaj7 chord is build out of C-E-G-B and you can play it here and here and here", if you know that you should know every other maj7 chord possible as well understand? For example Abmaj7 is build out of Ab-C-Eb-G etc..

In other words learn some theory it's very helpful
Quote by KoenDercksen
Make sure you also understand the building of the chords, and not just the shapes.

Because alot of people say, "Hey I know a Cmaj7 chord is build out of C-E-G-B and you can play it here and here and here", if you know that you should know every other maj7 chord possible as well understand? For example Abmaj7 is build out of Ab-C-Eb-G etc..

In other words learn some theory it's very helpful
I just started playing piano too so i usually go play them on both instruments, figure out what the intervals between each note are, and make every variation of that chord. Theory is probably my strongest area, I know more than my friend who has been playing for 5 years
I like theory
To progress your playing further you gotta understand the theory as well so you can reach your full potential, it's like having a really high IQ but then not reaching your potential because you dont know what to do with it
Quote by OtherGuy
o soz i just realised what u just sed!!! sorry

heh, no problem. Yeah there are alot of great players out there who aren't worth anything because they can't write anything interesting.
Quote by KoenDercksen
Yeah theory is awesome

You could also try and go work on finger independence, learn some Malmsteen or something. I suggest Trilogy Suite. I'm working on that one too and it's awesome (fast).

Thanks! i could improve on that, so I'll check that out.
Oh god. Right
Things you could learn/perfect (this could take on average 10/50 years):

Alternate picking
Economy Picking
Sweep picking
Tapped Harmonics
Natural Harmonics
Pinch Harmonics
Whammy dives
Tapping
Sweep/tapping
String-Skipping
Jazz (this one alone could take like 50 years)
Metal (this too)
Slapping
Chicken Picking
Legato
BarreChords
Swells
Flutters
Andy Mckee style acoustic..

Then there's theory on top of all that...and i've definitely missed at least 5 things out...
Quote by Ikonoklast
Oh god. Right
Things you could learn/perfect (this could take on average 10/50 years):

Alternate picking
Economy Picking
Sweep picking
Tapped Harmonics
Natural Harmonics
Pinch Harmonics
Whammy dives
Tapping
Sweep/tapping
String-Skipping
Metal (this too)
Slapping
Chicken Picking
Legato
BarreChords
Swells
Flutters

Then there's theory on top of all that...and i've definitely missed at least 5 things out...

Very particular about what kinds of music i play so I could learn some teqniques but might never put them to use. I'm fine being great at some teqniques rather than good at all of them

Alternate picking
Economy Picking

Could def learn these

Sweep picking
not so much into sweep picking i honestly think it's kind of cheesy and boring, just cause it's fast doesn't mean it's good. Would be good to build up finger strength though

Tapped Harmonics
Natural Harmonics
Pinch Harmonics

need to work on these

Whammy dives

don't have a whammy bar, probably wouldn't use it much but i might want to use it a bit so i could get one

Tapping

yeah

Sweep/tapping

meh

String-Skipping
absolutely

Can't stand jazz

Metal (this too)
don't like metal much either

Slapping
meh

Chicken Picking
meh

Legato
yes

BarreChords
yes

Swells
Flutters
no clue what this stuff is.

overall that gives me stuff to work on, thanks for the advice.
If you're not doing it already, start alternate picking. If you're chords are ok I'd learn some scales (start with the major scale - pretty much every other scale you'll ever use can be derived from it so learn that and you've done most of the work), then record yourself a chord progression and start improvising.

I'd start learning some songs with simple solos too.
^Well i wasn't talking about using them all the time, because if you don't play that type of stuff then you won't use it a lot. However to be the best you can be it's good to know how to execute as many techniques as possible.

Sweep picking isn't always fast. Most people overuse it and think they're amazing because they can sweep patterns over and over at ridiculous speeds. Think laterally. You don't HAVE to play with sweeping the same way everyone else does..
I agree with Ikonoklast - plus you don't lose anything by learning a new technique, it doesn't matter if you're not planning on using it much, and you generally learn stuff that helps your general playing - for example to learn to sweep properly you have to get pretty darn good at muting, which improves your general playing. You need good finger dexterity in your fretting hand, and decent pick control too - which also help your general playing.

Same goes for different styles of music - you may not like listening to jazz, but you can learn a huge amoutn from it, that will help your overall playing and make a huge difference to your soloing ability and give you a lot more flexibility soloing. And thats just for starters.

Don't write anything off - just prioritise what you are going to learn first.