Page 1 of 2
Roland Cube 15X and Peavey Vypyr 15 are both $100. Which one do you think is better and why?

Oh, and what is the difference between the Roland Cube and the Roland Micro Cube, besides the size? Which one is better?
IMO, the vypyr. It's a nicer amp tonewise and has a lot more tonal options.

The micro cube is the 2 watt battery powered cube... it's the portable one. The Cube series is better, but require an outlet.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the Roland Cube is much more versatile, has better cleans too,
the Vyper has more control over effects

after playing both I can say I would pick the Cube everytime
if you want to play metal the vypyr is your best option, if you want to play a wide variety get the cube. the micro cube has less amp models and effects than the 15x
Ive never played a Cube, but can vouch for the Vypyr's tone, very nice compared to the other modellers out there at this price.
Cube 30x
v
v
v
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
I was looking at both amps, and it seems like the Vypyr has more amp models than the Cube.
Quote by deadgroovy
Cube 30x
v
v
v

Agreed, I love my Cube 30x

Can go from playing RATM to RHCP in an instant
I have the Cube 15x, and Ive played a Vypyr 15, and I will say the Vypyr has a far far better tone than the Cube.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
This thread has been done a ****ing million times.

VYPYR
Quote by darkcheef
when will the threads end man

Lol sorry I'm not getting my guitar/amp for some time so this holds me over and I can get some more information.
There is a search function. I would use it, otherwise face endless posts about repetitive, already-answered questions.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by darkcheef
And didn't you make like 4 threads over the cube alone already?

Nope, it was about the Vypyr.

Quote by Mitochondria9
There is a search function. I would use it, otherwise face endless posts about repetitive, already-answered questions.

Sorry...
Quote by Lollage123
Roland cubesare good for begginers, but other than that they suck.

not at all man. Roland cubes are great no matter how good you are. We don't all need some high end marshall, mesa, or peavy to practise. I would take my cube 30x over the vyper, sure the vyper has more effects, but I never really use alot of effects anyways.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I'm not a fan of the cube for most things. I find it sounds very Lo-fi.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Agreed, I love my Cube 30x

Can go from playing RATM to RHCP in an instant

I made this decison about a year ago. I narrowed it down between the Vypyr and the Cube. The fact is that the Vypyr has just too many quality control problems. Over on the Peavey forums at least one new person a week writes in about amp failure. Some guys have gone through two, three even four Vypyrs. The Peavey reps that participate in the discussions never provide an explanation. They just tell you to send it in for service.

Peavey honors the warranty. If you don't mind risking a big headache, then go with the Vypyr. I went with a used Cube 30X from Ebay. You know what? It's a practice amp. That's what it is.
TS, I know you want one for metal because I've seen all your threads. The cube has bad metal tones. I know because I have a cube 30x. The vypyr is more metal oriented and would be better suited for you.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by GraceKim
I made this decison about a year ago. I narrowed it down between the Vypyr and the Cube. The fact is that the Vypyr has just too many quality control problems. Over on the Peavey forums at least one new person a week writes in about amp failure. Some guys have gone through two, three even four Vypyrs. The Peavey reps that participate in the discussions never provide an explanation. They just tell you to send it in for service.

Peavey honors the warranty. If you don't mind risking a big headache, then go with the Vypyr. I went with a used Cube 30X from Ebay. You know what? It's a practice amp. That's what it is.

Don't you mean "Roland" when you said "Peavey"?
If you are using a pedal (preferably multi FX), get the Roland. I have it and it works beautifully. However if you don't, the built in distortion options are terrible IMO, so look elswhere
The Cube completely outclasses the Vypyr. The Vypyr is the kind of practice amp that trailer trash poor kids get when they want to feel hardcore. The Roland, on the other hand, has the heaviest distortion I've heard from a practice amp and it's models are all spot on. The Peavy's models all sound like garbage.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Quote by Smarglefarb
The Cube completely outclasses the Vypyr. The Vypyr is the kind of practice amp that trailer trash poor kids get when they want to feel hardcore. The Roland, on the other hand, has the heaviest distortion I've heard from a practice amp and it's models are all spot on. The Peavy's models all sound like garbage.

You have a horrible ear then, oh and the cleans sound much better in the vypyr. Just sayin
Quote by darkcheef
You have a horrible ear then, oh and the cleans sound much better in the vypyr. Just sayin

lol, somebody wishes he bought a Cube. Don't be jealous, it doesn't look good on you.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Quote by Smarglefarb
lol, somebody wishes he bought a Cube. Don't be jealous, it doesn't look good on you.

Yes I am so jealous I didn't buy a amp that I didn't even like, you know everything man
I like the Cubes.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by dsan224
Don't you mean "Roland" when you said "Peavey"?

When people say "Peavey", they mean "Peavey" not "Roland" not "Heinricke" but "Peavey". That's enough for today. Tomorrow I'll demonstrate how to do an open position Em chord.
Quote by Smarglefarb

Man, a lot of people are like "People who say Cube is better are jealous of Vypyr" and now I hear the opposite! It's so confusing! They have Peavey Vypyrs at my local guitar center, but not Roland Cube, so I can't try that one out. For those of you who prefer the Cube, can you at least say what type of music you play, and if you play it in your room or something like that? Same goes for you who play with a Vypyr.
This is just another pointless vs thread. Some people are going to say Cube, others Vypyr. And you will not get anything from it. Maybe if you asked something like "What are the differences between the Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube" you would get helpful information and be able to make a judgement on "which is better" yourself.

Peavey Vypyr has lots of effects, great for metal.
Roland Cube has a nice tone, not as many effects, but pretty versatile.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
This is just another pointless vs thread. Some people are going to say Cube, others Vypyr. And you will not get anything from it. Maybe if you asked something like "What are the differences between the Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube" you would get helpful information and be able to make a judgement on "which is better" yourself.

Peavey Vypyr has lots of effects, great for metal.
Roland Cube has a nice tone, not as many effects, but pretty versatile.

Does the Roland Cube 15X have things like delay and reverb? I know the Vypyr is primarily a metal amp, but can the Cube play metal as well, or is it primarily an amp for cleaner sounds?
i have a cube 15x and even though ive never played a vypyr i wouldnt choose one over my cube i love it....not too many effects that it sacrifices sounds quality
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
Quote by dsan224
Does the Roland Cube 15X have things like delay and reverb? I know the Vypyr is primarily a metal amp, but can the Cube play metal as well, or is it primarily an amp for cleaner sounds?

Don't think the 15x has delay and reverb. The 30x does, though. Like I said it has very little effects, and 4 amp models - distortion, overdrive, metal, and metal stack. I would highly suggest getting a 30x because it has a lot more stuff. Or a Vypyr. With the 15x it does have metal channels but you won't be able to get many different tones out of it.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 14, 2009,
Roland Cube amps just plain s*ck IMO! I have tried several Roland amps out after seeing them praised here on the UG and they all fail miserably. If you like the sound of a a guitar playing thru a 60s transistor radio by all means buy one. Even as a practice amp you need something with a decent sound. I am not a huge fan of the Peavey Vypyr but compared to the Rolands they rock. I hated my Marshall MG 15 until I played the Roland Cube now I appreciate my Marshall a little more still don't really like it but it's better than the Roland.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Roland Cube.

John
Quote by dsan224

It's not, I could get the sexiest Jazz tone out of my vypyr. Then the next moment get a raw Death tone. Honestly, your just going to have to go with the one you feel good about and the one whose sound you like better
Quote by darkcheef
It's not, I could get the sexiest Jazz tone out of my vypyr. Then the next moment get a raw Death tone. Honestly, your just going to have to go with the one you feel good about and the one whose sound you like better

They don't have the cube at my local guitar center
TRY IT OUT.

I like cubes more than vypyrs because of the Roland Jazz Chorus Simulator.
And when i buy a SS amp it´s gotta sound like a SS amp and not some ***gy tube simulation which sounds nothing near the real the thing anyways.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I already told you guys, they have NO Roland Cubes at my local music store, so I CAN'T try it out. The only thing I can try out are the Vypyrs.
Page 1 of 2