Hey y'all

I'm going recording with the hard rock band I'm in and I'm gonna be playing through an Ampeg SVT-4pro! I dont have a whole lot of time so I would like some advise for a getting a great tone with it that will be present and defined in the mix and not just like some... undefined shadow of low-end mud.

If anyone here have ideas for a nice sound with this setup, I'd love to hear some EQ/setup suggestions! My bass is a fender aerodyne P-bass.

Bass sounds I like are, just to name a few: Jason Newsted's (Black Album in mind here), Duff McKagan's, Mike Starr's (on Dirt with AIC).

Thanks in advance!
Baaaaaaazz
First set it flat, its a start, turn the graphic eq off.

I would begin by boosting bass, from central, cutting lowmids and high mids, but keeping central mids well up. Treble is to taste. Mess around with it alot though. Things will sound different in the studio. But i think the best way to keep muddiness out is to tame the low mids.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
oh ****!! i wish i wasent in my dorm room i could AIM skype/telephone with you cuz i have the SVP pro wich is basicly the preamp portion of the svt4-pro and i would work with you but im not home =(

i recomend the 2 position on themid frequency and scoop it down a little OR try the 4 or 5 position and boost mids allmost all the way that is a good starting point at least
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
oh man that would've been awesome

Just wondering, but everywhere I go I hear that it's kinda dumb to scoop your bass sound when your in a mix with guitars and drums?

And fatgoogle, by "central mids" what frequency range are we talking about? 500-800hz or?
Baaaaaaazz
i think on the SVT boosting the lowest mids slightly puts ampeg speakers "in thier element" if you wanted a scoop sound leave those alone (120-250ish hz) but scoop right next to it and boost your highest mids slightly for contrast. also if your using ampeg speakers without a tweeter, be carefull not to overdo the highest frequencys i actually wouldent boost them on the graphic eq or at least save that band for last "finishing touches" of the sound
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I do have a rip-off model of the BDDI (the behringer BDi-21, I know it's **** but it hasn't failed on me yet =P) but I thought one of the main things the sansamp does is in fact to emulate an overdriven SVT, so why use a sansamp if I have a SVT at my disposal?
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by QvistDK
I do have a rip-off model of the BDDI (the behringer BDi-21, I know it's **** but it hasn't failed on me yet =P) but I thought one of the main things the sansamp does is in fact to emulate an overdriven SVT, so why use a sansamp if I have a SVT at my disposal?

+1

Mid scooping isn't a bad idea unless you do it so much that you become inaudible, which is easy to do. Basically, you figure out where you want to sit in the mix, and add only enough mids to get you there and no more, while keeping the focus on the lower end of the spectrum.
Nope, no sig here.
With a P-bass I like boosting the mids and putting the high end up a tad more than normal while turning up the volume quite loud in order to get a gritty/ballsy sound. I don't really have much experience with the SVT-4PRO, but if it has a graphic eq, definitely boost the lower mids, and accentuate the high end a little bit.
+1 on not using the sansamp but if you have extra time then it wont hurt to xperement with it
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
If you want McKagan's sound, go rich on mids and bring up the tremble as well. I might reduce the bass just a bit. Add chorus and reverb (but just a bit). As you have an Aerodyne, you will get very close to his sound by just picking closer to the neck (right above the p-bass pickup). Make sure you play with a pick to get the right sound. I think thats about it. Don't hold back in the mids, most importantly. McKagan plays through a GK and that's very mid-rich. Use Rotosound strings if you really want to.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club