Ok so as a band, Do you think its important to stay true to the style of music you started with? I'm not talking about selling out, but like say you make some heavy songs and sometimes you want to kick back and play an acoustic with some pop kind of feel to it. Do you think that hurts the bands image? Like as Artists we should be able to express ourselves in anyway we feel right? Then again we are entertainers so we should do what the people want. I'm just kinda stuck. So any input would be helpful
Well I guess that would depend on who your doing it for?
If you have a fanbase and you're playing for them, and generally you care about pleasing them, then stick with it.
But if you're playing for your own enjoyment then do whatever the hell you want, if other people don't like it then they can sod off!
Depends are you doing it for purely monetary reasons, or because thats what you want to play. If your making music purely for money, your not in the right field of buisness. Otherwise its okay.
In my opinion, doing what you want can be respectable, even if people hate you for it. Take for instance Metallica. I'm going to catch a ton of s*** for this, but I don't care. I HATE Load and ReLoad....St. Anger aside, they are the biggest pieces of s*** that band could've put out. BUT I respect the fact that it was done in WANT to play a different sound, not in want to sell records. (Last I checked, s*** blues metal crossover didn't have a huge market). While the fanbase hates the records, Metallica themselves appreciate doing what they felt artistically expressed themselves. I commend them on that. Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do, regardless of what the fanbase wants. Else, selling out could truly mean KEEPING your sound if you are artistically led elsewhere for expression.
Last edited by SawGuru at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Dio10101
Depends are you doing it for purely monetary reasons, or because thats what you want to play. If your making music purely for money, your not in the right field of buisness. Otherwise its okay.

If your making music for money, and it achieves that, then you are doing it right. Its no less valid a reason to make music than any other.
If you're in a cover band, you play what's popular. You don't really have a choice of genre.

If you're in an original's band, you'll find that the same people will create similar sounding songs, regardless of how different they think it sounds.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alright this helped guys! Thanks.
selling out could truly mean KEEPING your sound if you are artistically led elsewhere for expression.
I like how that was put, I never really thought of it that way.