Hey UG,

Why is it that when I play along to Black Sabbath's Paranoid I always have the feeling that I should tune my guitar a little bit sharp, and when I do the whole thing sound more "in tune" and "note for note".

I wonder if it was recorded a little bit sharp ?
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
You should make sure your guitar is properly intonated first, but I THINK Paranoid might have been recorded before electric tuners were perfected, so they were tuned by pianos, which can go out of tune also.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

You'll find that in a LOT of early recordings. Some AC/DC stuff is "between" notes. Another one that always comes to mind is Bob Seger's Mainstreet. It's tune a little flat of normal or a little sharp of a half step down. I HATE THAT!
Well the track was kind of rushed, so he might not have felt that he needed to tune up, since it was recorded on the day the album was due(or something along those lines). Or maybe he just tunes differently, i know that Dave Mustaine tunes to an offset E Standard.

EDIT: TS has the best sig ever.
Quote by Dio10101
Well the track was kind of rushed, so he might not have felt that he needed to tune up, since it was recorded on the day the album was due(or something along those lines). Or maybe he just tunes differently, i know that Dave Mustaine tunes to an offset E Standard.

EDIT: TS has the best sig ever.

It's Eb (or maybe 1/4 lower than standard) on early work.
A lot of songs aren't quite tuned to standard. Some bands just tune to each other, not to concert pitch. Also sometimes a band may feel that a song is too fast or too slow. They'll slow it down a tad, raising or lowering the pitch very slightly in the process.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
It's not just the one song...pretty much the whole album (War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man, Fairies Wear Boots) is sharp by about 12 cents. It's pretty evident if you play along with the CD.

Solution #1: tune your guitar to the album.
Solution #2: buy some software like Amazing Slow Downer that lets you alter the pitch of the original. (All in all, it's a great program for learning songs.)