I have a 2001 F150 and I love the sound system it has, but the bass is a little bit of a problem. Its good for metal and other ****, but it gets way too muddy when its bass heavy like rap/hip hop.

could you buy just subs and not an amp or whatever, and they would still work, or do you need the same brand amp as the subs and what not?

yah, probably a dumb question, but any help would be nice
In order to get any appreciable sound out of subwoofers, you'll need an amp. Brand doesn't matter, per se, but the RMS wattage ratings should be matched up. Underpowering a subwoofer will result in muddy, inarticulate sound and can damage the speakers.

If you want tight, punchy bass, you'll want to pack your sub(s) into an appropriately-sized sealed box.

You can also add bass blockers to your current setup, which will keep your component speakers from handling frequencies they weren't meant to handle.
Hi, I'm Peter
my friend had a few subs in the trunk of his car hooked up to his sound system...twas one of the most amazing things I've EVER seen.
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Quote by Dirk Gently
In order to get any appreciable sound out of subwoofers, you'll need an amp. Brand doesn't matter, per se, but the RMS wattage ratings should be matched up. Underpowering a subwoofer will result in muddy, inarticulate sound and can damage the speakers.

If you want tight, punchy bass, you'll want to pack your sub(s) into an appropriately-sized sealed box.

how much does it cost to get it installed at a place like Goodyear?

all I needed to know, thanks
Last edited by Fat Lard at Oct 13, 2009,
do it yourself, It's piece of piss and a LOT cheaper
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ I agree. Installation is time consuming, but it's not difficult.

You can't get it installed at a place like Goodyear -- a big box store like BestBuy is probably the cheapest route, since a lot of times they'll offer free installation with a purchase (check beforehand, obviously). If you want decent components, you're looking at probably $350-400 minimum -- $150-200 for the box and sub, $150 for the amp, and $50 for the amp installation kit.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 13, 2009,
allright, thanks man. Birthday was the 6th and my parents wanted to get me something, so maybe thisll be it
Quote by Fat Lard
I have a 2001 F150 and I love the sound system it has, but the bass is a little bit of a problem. Its good for metal and other ****, but it gets way too muddy when its bass heavy like rap/hip hop.

could you buy just subs and not an amp or whatever, and they would still work, or do you need the same brand amp as the subs and what not?

yah, probably a dumb question, but any help would be nice

Don't listen to rap/hip hop. Problem solved
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

im pretty sure u need amp and subs. but they sell ones that are combos and are a sub and amp mixed together. f**k, now i want subway and an amp energy. CURSE U TS!!

but go to crutchfield.com, they have EVERYTHING!! and u just pick out yur car and they show u what will work with yur car, and will help u with everything. thats where i got my car stereo
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by bingeandletgo
Don't listen to rap/hip hop. Problem solved

how good are the Boss brand subs and amps? I'm looking on Ebay and they're going dirt cheap, but I don't want to get stuck with something that's worse than what I already have stock
Don't get Boss sound gear.

Look at Kenwood, or Pioneer, or the like.

Even Alpine is overrated shit.

Oh, TS, that was probably THE dumbest question that I have EVER heard, honestly.

If you get big subs, it will take away all the good bass from metal, and give it solely to rap.

Bass drum will sound like a retarded cow, black dude saying "uhhuh" will sound slightly better than normal.
damn, there's no way to get that boom without screwing up the other genres?

what do you guys think is the best overall sub/amp combo , price wise and sound wise for any genre?
Quote by Fat Lard
damn, there's no way to get that boom without screwing up the other genres?

what do you guys think is the best overall sub/amp combo , price wise and sound wise for any genre?

Kenwood KAC-9104D with Pioneer Champion TS-W1208D2's, they're 12" so they're not the most expensive either.
I'm assuming being a Ute that your car has a relatively small cab in comparison with a normal car. It's possible that your current sub is overpowered for the size of the space you have inside.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
^its a truck, so there isn't any way I could install it in a trunk. If I was to get 2 12" subs with the box included, would the best place to put it be on the ground of the back middle seat?
Last edited by Fat Lard at Oct 13, 2009,
Get a truck wedge. The other thing you might look into is a custom box -- sometimes Crutchfield sells vehicle-specific boxes for subs.

Alpine amps aren't shit. They give you good, clean power but they're not going to win any loudness competitions. I like Rockford Fosgate Punch series for inexpensive gear. Kenwood and Pioneer are so-so.
Hi, I'm Peter
the way it sounds depends on how its tuned. use the specific settings in the headunit to alter lows, mids, and highs to sound better depending on the genre youre listening to. and if you tend to shuffle all your genres together, sit and play with it until you find a setting that satisfies you for all types.