this is probably a beginner kind of question but i have been playing for a long while and still haven't been able to clean up my playing good enough >_< and i think i might have to start to basics or something

i have problem when i do pull off to open strings when is on the high e string there is no problem since there is nothing to hit, but on all other strings. but when i do pull off on all the other strings i hit the strings that are close to it and it sounds messy not a direct kind of hit but more of a brush.

this is an example from the song Aces High
B----15p12p0---15p14p0-- repeat

i dont know how to correct this but it seems almost impossible to do a pull off with control since i use the tip of the finger and kind of do pull away motion from the fingers but once the finger lets go of the string it has that little impulse. is kind like a catapult motion once it lets go of the string

i been playing for a while i have plenty of strength in the hands

my question basically am i doing pull offs the right way? or is it a combination of muting with the left and right hand and people always slightly hit the other string?
what could i do to improve this?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
just practice patience man patience
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
just practice patience man patience

i do practice >_< i been playing since i joined ug like 4-5 years almost

i think is something i missed that nobody explained on the technique or something because i been playing for a while and i do have ssome strength in hands since i can do thrill fast but to open strings is just hard to or get excess noise
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I studied Thomas Erak closely for stuff like this. He sort of wraps his thumb around the top of the guitar when he does this for more control. Do that over and over again slowly and build up.
Might not be exactly the same thing, but if you ever play Thunderstruck by AC/DC, which is basically a hammer-on pull-off fest, always going to and from an open string, I mute the adjacent strings with my strumming hand at the body, so I don't accidently hit them. You might not have time to do that if you have to get picking right after it, but... yeah
Quote by stefan1988
i do practice >_< i been playing since i joined ug like 4-5 years almost

i think is something i missed that nobody explained on the technique or something because i been playing for a while and i do have ssome strength in hands since i can do thrill fast but to open strings is just hard to or get excess noise

I have a bit of trouble with open string pull-offs too. First of all, I don't completely buy the "I've been playing for x and practiced this a lot" - the way I see it is - ok, my own case. I've been playing 17 years, and performed many million pull-offs in that time. So, out of those millions of pull-offs I've performed in my life, how many were when I was slowed down, really focusing on getting the technique improved? A much smaller percentage, but enough to be decent at legato. Ok, now, out of that number, how many were pull-offs using my index finger? Really not that many. Compared to the number of pull-offs you do with your other fingers, it's a tiny fraction.

So, practice could be a factor, and regardless, you can ALWAYS improve with practice.

The other thing - really analyze your technique. Look at the angle you pull-off at. Is it more towards the floor, or more up and away? You want the latter to avoid hitting other strings. Also look at the size of your movements, and see if you can shorten them a bit.

Another thing to look at is the action on your guitar. If it is high, it's harder to get a pull off to an open string to sound right, so this could be distorting your technique when you do an open string pull-off.
Mute the unwanted string with your fretting hand, or your picking hand palm. Muting is an art - it takes a lot of time and experimentation.
No kidding.

Muting is probably the hardest part of guitar playing
Your doing it wrong!

Quote by sumo456
That part in the solo is picked btw

The above statement is true. I know the whole song and i pick that part. Also if you look at live versions of the song you'll see Adrian picks that part. Whenver you have trouble with a song i suggest you look at live versions or other people doing covers to see what they are doing.

My 2 cents.
sorry i dint post in a while i forget i posted this with all the stuff i been doing >_<

how many were when I was slowed down, really focusing on getting the technique improved? A much smaller percentage, but enough to be decent at legato. Ok, now, out of that number, how many were pull-offs using my index finger? Really not that many. Compared to the number of pull-offs you do with your other fingers, it's a tiny fraction.

i have tried slowing down my pull offs but i always have this catapult effect like when i pull string and i let finger go it has like that energy like spring coiled

Look at the angle you pull-off
i know is the angle that i pull off that messes with me but i see no other way i cant do a pull-off forward i have never seen anybody do that in any technique video. and i cant do ip up how will i pull the string that way?

bove statement is true. I know the whole song and i pick that part. Also if you look at live versions of the song you'll see Adrian picks that part. Whenver you have trouble with a song i suggest you look at live versions or other people doing covers to see what they are doing.

very much appreciated i could do the part by picking but im a perfectionist so i thought that's how he did it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
when i have a long run of pull offs on the same string, and i need to pull off to an open note i use my fingers to mute.

For example. say i have a hammer on and pull off sequence 7-5-0-5-4-0-4-2-0 on the g string. What i do is i place my pick on the d string, and then put my middle finger on the b string (talking all picking hand here, no left hand muting really since its a fast sequence). This way no matter how hard i pull off, those strings right above it and below it will never ring out.
Quote by bubbamc119
Mute the unwanted string with your fretting hand, or your picking hand palm. Muting is an art - it takes a lot of time and experimentation.

this
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.