Hey UG, I've been pondering for a few days on what amp to get.

I want to get a half stack, but perhaps buy the head and cabinet(s) separate, as I have yet to play a combo amp that has blown me away.

I've been thinking about the Hughes & Kettner Trilogy head with a Marshall cabinet of some sort. I don't know too much when it comes to amps though. Which is why I'm asking you guys for some suggestions. All I know is that I want a tube amp. Also, my price range varies, because if I find a cheaper amp that I love the sound of, there is no sense in paying $600 more for something that I don't like as much, or isn't THAT much better.

Any input is appreciated guys, thank you!

EDIT: Also, I'm going to have an ESP LTD EC-1000 soon (the Amber Sunburst with Seymour Duncan JB/59's in it, and my main genres are classic rock, acoustic rock, blues, metal, modern rock, and the occasional screamo or death-core, heavy heavy balls-to-the-wall metal.
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Oct 13, 2009,
What styles of music do you play and what is your absolute maximum for a head and cab?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
See if you can find a Peavey 5150, they sound really good and are pretty versatile and the gain sounds amazing. I got mine for $375
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
See if you can find a Peavey 5150, they sound really good and are pretty versatile and the gain sounds amazing. I got mine for $375

For Classic? Acoustic? and Blues?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thanks for a couple of suggestions guys, I just kinda want a list to go and try out a few in Guitar Center.
-George Szell
Quote by Raijouta
What styles of music do you play and what is your absolute maximum for a head and cab?

I listed my styles in my edit, and my absolute max would be around $2500-3000 total.
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
I listed my styles in my edit, and my absolute max would be around $2500-3000 total.

ENGL Invader
Baron K88/K2
Granger Lead Overdrive 100
Peters Hydra/Gryphon
Mesa/Boogie RoadKing
Engl Savage
EVH 5150III
VHT/Fryette Sig X
Axe FX Ultra
ENGL SE Preamp
Line 6 Vetta
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
If you can go used, a Mesa Mark III or Dual Rectifier 2-channel head sounds pretty ideal. They're both very versatile amps and are ideal for many genres. To be honest, though, you've got alot of options. On a higher end of your budget, you've got:

Mesa Mark V
Mesa Stiletto
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quickrod
ENGL Invader
ENGL Savage
ENGL Blackmore
used ENGL SE
Soldano Hot Rod
Soldano SLO (used)
EVH 5150 III
Fractal Audio Axe-FX
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
Hughes and Kettner Coreblade
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
mesa mark V and a mesa 4x12 cab to match
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! Looks like I'm gonna need a grocery list on my next trip to Des Moines.
-George Szell