So can anyone give me any tips on how to play surf rock. Like any good song examples and scales.

thanx
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
misirlou, lots of tremolo... that's the extent of my "Surf" rock knowledge

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I think the best answer you could get is:

Wipeout - Surfaris

And then possibly

Surfing with the alien - joe satriani is basically surf rock just with the alien twist :P

I'd say analyse that song wipeout its only based on like 1 or 2 scales i could see from a quick glance there, but something you needa know that a style of music is much more based on how you phrase you music rather than what scales or chords your playing.
Wipeout by The Surfaris, and some older Rancid songs(Spirit of '87, Stand Your Ground and Listed MIA, although they're slightly more punky).
Generally I'd keep in a major key, use chords I, IV, V, simple melodies, lots of passing notes.
With your chords you can slide them in, for example:

e|----------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------|
G|-4/55555554/5555555-----|
D|-4/55555554/5555555-----|
A|-2/33333332/3333333-----|
E|----------------------------------|

And in your lead guitar this usually works well to make it sound very surfer:

e|----------------------------|
B|--777777----------------|
G|--9b9b9b----------------|

Hope that's helpful
Check out Guitar Player January 07- its devoted to Surf Guitar.

There is also a nice boxed set of surf guitar out there called Cowabunga!.

If you can't get your hands on either, check out these...

Bands:

Dick Dale
The Ventures
The Bel-Aires
Beach Boys
Los Straightjackets
Laika and the Cosmonauts
Surf Punks
Link Wray
The Chantays
Jan & Dean
The Honeys
The Sandals
Booker T and the MGs
The Trashmen
The Rotations
Bobby Fuller Four
The Surfaris
The Pyramids

Songs:

Eliminator
Rumble
Wipeout
Get Carter!
Green Onion
Miserlou
Pipeline
Walk, Don't Run
Sleepwalk
The Wedge
Shoot the Curl
Surfin' Bird
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 13, 2009,
Check out Guitar Player January 07- its devoted to Surf Guitar.

I hate being wrong, and that info is wrong.

That issue is the one dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Fender Strat and the reason I came up with it is that Fender used a lot of surf imagery in their ad campaign...and its reproduced in that issue and on its cover.

HOWEVER, there is an issue of GP or GW that I own that does have a buttload of surf/spy/space guitar info, and when I find it, I'll pass it along.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

chris isaak- wicked game kinda has a "surfer" tone from what i gather is surfer music based on the above recommendations. ive always wanted his clean tone from that song.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Wicked Game is simply an awesome song...from what I understand, though, the characteristic sound of that song was crafted by the other guitarist in his band, not Isaak himself.

As for its sound, its a bit more "Rockabilly" in tone, but then again, Rockabilly had its influence on surf, too, mainly in the form of picking techniques. The main diff, as I understand it, is that rockabilly typically has a cleaner guitar tone. FWIW, Rockabilly artists also have a tendency to use more hollowbody and semi-holowbody guitars- Gretch, Epis, Gibsons, etc.- while the Fender Strat and Tele and similar single-coil equipped solidbodies tend to dominate the Surf genre.