Hi all,

My first post. I used to play for a band 10 years back as a lead guitarist and have stopped (family life you know ) But I want to get back again and require some advice. I can't afford a good guitar and the cheap ones sound like crap. I recently saw an advert for a second hand 2003 model of the Jackson KE3 Kelly for sale for £220, I've done some searching and it seems these guitars retail for around £500. The reviews look spot on. I've never played a Jackson guitar in my life and require some advice. Do you think this is a good deal considering the guitar is almost 6 years old? Are there any known problems I should be looking out for when testing the guitar? Do these guitars or guitars in general develop any faults as they age? Do let me know. I was looking to buy a guitar around £300 anyway and was thinking of going in for the Ibanez RG370DX since it fit my budget.

What do you gurus think? Sorry for the long first post but I don't want to waste money if this is not a good deal

Thanks for all the help in advance

Ooops P.S: Forgot to mention that I spoke to the dude selling the guitar, he said that it had some light scratches (understandable I guess for a guitar that old) and the reason he is selling is because he has another guitar and doesn't use this as much
Last edited by bitsnbytes at Oct 13, 2009,
the trem's not great on the rg370, personally i'd avoid it.

The problem with the kelly is that they brought out a new, upgraded model in 2006, which had "real" seymour duncans (as opposed to duncan designed) and a slightly improved tremolo (which still isn't a match for an OFR/gotoh/schaller or similar, but is better than the old one, allegedly). Might be worth holding out for a 2006 or later model, it might not be all that much more expensive.

Just bear in mind, I'm not a major fan of the neck joints on those jacksons, they're very bulky. Would be worth trying some in a shop to see if you get on with them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well....

What did you play back then, gear wise?
What style of music are you lookin for?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
the edge 3 trem on the ibby is fine if you maintain it properly.

there`s another thread on the same topic today and someone found a rg420 for £299.....
is it really? I doubt that. The whole point of the cheaper trem is to differentiate the product line and persuade most people to either save up for the prestiges or to have to upgrade to a prestige later. It's designed to fail eventually, basically. Nomatter how well you maintain it, it's not going to make up for soft metal in the knife edges. And I've heard some horror stories about them basically falling apart, too (though some of that could be abuse, granted).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by strat0blaster
Well....

What did you play back then, gear wise?
What style of music are you lookin for?

Played mostly metal (metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, judas priest, scorpions etc). I used an Ibanez (sorry can't remember the model number, it's been so long)

I used to use boss pedals with this, the MT-2, compression sustainer, delay and chorus (sorry can't remember the model numbers again)

I thought I'd go in for the G2.1U now with a decent guitar
i`ve known peeps to have edge 3 trems last 5 years, any trem will fail eventually, it`s more likely that a inexperienced player will break something than a experienced player who knows the limits of there rig....see it time and again especially on UG.

i only slightly agree with the sentiment that they are designed with a finite life expectacy in the hope that before it fails they will have bought a higher end guitar....if it fails before then the company recieve a bad reputation and will lose customers rather than retain them...i won`t touch jackson for this reason regardless of how many ownership/management changes the company has gone through.
the jackson necks don't feel that dissimilar to ibanez necks (assuming you mean RG-style necks), to my hands, anyway. but they don't have the all-access neck joint which the ibanezes have.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the trem's not great on the rg370, personally i'd avoid it.

The problem with the kelly is that they brought out a new, upgraded model in 2006, which had "real" seymour duncans (as opposed to duncan designed) and a slightly improved tremolo (which still isn't a match for an OFR/gotoh/schaller or similar, but is better than the old one, allegedly). Might be worth holding out for a 2006 or later model, it might not be all that much more expensive.

Just bear in mind, I'm not a major fan of the neck joints on those jacksons, they're very bulky. Would be worth trying some in a shop to see if you get on with them.

The problem is that even on ebay the current ones go for around £400 which is way out of my budget. I really can't afford that kind of money Just want to get a decent guitar since I touched my friends accoustic guitar and was surprised at the lack of movement of my fingers In hindsight I should have kept in touch
even the current second-hand ones? if so, sorry for getting your hopes up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
even the current second-hand ones? if so, sorry for getting your hopes up.

I checked on ebay and most of them are from ebay.com so generally go for $500 upwards. Not sure if I want it coming all the way from the US (don't trust the couriers so much)

I asked the guy if he would consider £190 and he said he might. So not sure. Truth be told, It's not that I'm a decent guitarist by any means to expect an excellent guitar. So not sure, should I go in for the RG420 for £299 as another poster said or this one for £190? The question is which is better? I've liked the sound of the Ibanez and they suited my style of playing, never used a Jacskon before so am well confused Or maybe I should hold out
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the edge 3 trem on the ibby is fine if you maintain it properly.

there`s another thread on the same topic today and someone found a rg420 for £299.....

Sorry, couldn't find the thread, can you (at the risk of asking for too much ) please post the link
Quote by ibanezgod1973
(a) i`ve known peeps to have edge 3 trems last 5 years, any trem will fail eventually, it`s more likely that a inexperienced player will break something than a experienced player who knows the limits of there rig....see it time and again especially on UG.

(b) i only slightly agree with the sentiment that they are designed with a finite life expectacy in the hope that before it fails they will have bought a higher end guitar....if it fails before then the company recieve a bad reputation and will lose customers rather than retain them...i won`t touch jackson for this reason regardless of how many ownership/management changes the company has gone through.

(a) i've heard of plenty of people's which have failed long before then. And I'm not sure that any trem will fail eventually- plenty of people have edges, OFRs, etc. from the 80s which still work fine.

(b) that's not exactly what I said- they're planning for it to fail so that they have to upgrade later. I agree with your sentiments, and personally I'm the same, I haven't bought another Ibanez since my Lo-TRS died, but it's surprising how many people will just shrug and say, "Oh, that's just good business" and stick with the company. It's infuriating, and while sufficient numbers of people have that mindset they're just going to get shoddy treatment like that, but...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) i've heard of plenty of people's which have failed long before then. And I'm not sure that any trem will fail eventually- plenty of people have edges, OFRs, etc. from the 80s which still work fine.
True - I've got an '85 roadstar and an '85 proline, both with pro-rock'r trems, and both trems are still going strong.

TS - if I was you I'd go try out a bunch of guitars that retail new at up to double your budget, then when you have a shortlist of what you like start hunting the second hand market.
Quote by Dave_Mc
is it really? I doubt that. The whole point of the cheaper trem is to differentiate the product line and persuade most people to either save up for the prestiges or to have to upgrade to a prestige later. It's designed to fail eventually, basically. Nomatter how well you maintain it, it's not going to make up for soft metal in the knife edges. And I've heard some horror stories about them basically falling apart, too (though some of that could be abuse, granted).

I don't think they're destined to fail. I don't think Ibanez made the Edge III to "break" eventually. They're designed for their cheaper guitars. They use cheaper metals because the cost of the material is less and it's easier to manufacture. Making many different types of trems is also costly. That's why there's nothing between the good trems and budget trems. If they put good trems on all of their guitars, they would be over budget for a lot of people. You can even upgrade to a better trem with very little modification to your guitar if you wanted to. They offer better trems for their higher end guitars so Ibanez isn't ****ing you over. Trems are expensive pieces of hardware. If you buy the budget version of a guitar, I don't think you should complain. It's the budget model for a reason. They're trying to keep costs down to keep the price down. You can't expect it to perform like a guitar that costs twice as much. The point of the cheaper product lines is so people can afford them. A lot of people can't afford to spend $1000+ on a guitar. It has nothing to do with persuading them. Most people aren't serious enough about guitar to spend big bucks on gear.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 14, 2009,
All this trem stuff is preference and personal experience.

I've got an Ibanez RG trem from the mid 90's that threads the ball end of the string through the back like a stop tail bridge, and it's survived two guitars and still works great. People have hailed it as a POS, but it's lasted me for six years and is still functioning very well.

Take care of your stuff, and it will do well. There are always case exceptions of just badly done hardware on specific occasions, but that's true for almost any piece of musical equipment.

In my experience, with those Edge trems, the most common mistake is heavy-handedness when locking down the bridge. The metal is softer, which doesn't make it necessarily worse, it just means that you don't have to grind it into place.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't think they're destined to fail. I don't think Ibanez made the Edge III to "break" eventually. They're designed for their cheaper guitars. They use cheaper metals because the cost of the material is less and it's easier to manufacture. Making many different types of trems is also costly. That's why there's nothing between the good trems and budget trems. If they put good trems on all of their guitars, they would be over budget for a lot of people. You can even upgrade to a better trem with very little modification to your guitar if you wanted to. They offer better trems for their higher end guitars so Ibanez isn't ****ing you over. Trems are expensive pieces of hardware. If you buy the budget version of a guitar, I don't think you should complain. It's the budget model for a reason. They're trying to keep costs down to keep the price down. You can't expect it to perform like a guitar that costs twice as much. The point of the cheaper product lines is so people can afford them. A lot of people can't afford to spend $1000+ on a guitar. It has nothing to do with persuading them. Most people aren't serious enough about guitar to spend big bucks on gear.

that's just not true. When my lo-trs broke, i went to a local shop to see about a replacement. The lo-trs was something like £10 (!) cheaper than the lo-pro edge. It's a marketing tactic, and they are designed to fail. the actual cost difference is not very much, and the vast majority of people would pay slightly extra to get the good trem, given the choice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's just not true. When my lo-trs broke, i went to a local shop to see about a replacement. The lo-trs was something like £10 (!) cheaper than the lo-pro edge. It's a marketing tactic, and they are designed to fail. the actual cost difference is not very much, and the vast majority of people would pay slightly extra to get the good trem, given the choice.

U can't compare Edge III to lo-trs or lo-pro in my opinion.

Edge III is fine, ignore them haters & fanboys. It's made for vibratos and stuff, not for abusing. It stays in tune perfectly and won't wear of that fast if you use it right
but surely the point of a locking trem is so you can go crazy on it? I mean, if you just want more subtle vibrato, something like a vintage strat trem or wilkinson will generally do that better than a floyd, anyway (and have a more vintage-accurate tone into the bargain).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?