Do you think a 5w tube amp would be loud enough for a smallish theatre (capacitiy - Approx 150 people). If it wouldn't be loud enough would a 2x12 or 4x12 make any difference?

Cheers,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
yeah,with PA
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Only with a PA. Otherwise there's no way it'll be loud enough unless you don't have a drummer and everyone shuts the **** up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would mic it, probally not loud enough by itself, though ive never played one so what do I know. If you have the money I would get the 2X12 If you plan to continue gigging, its the standard. good luck at the show!
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Apparently, the people arranging the show aren't going to mic the amps because the sound guy sucks

EDIT: I'm also looking at a used Marshall 1960A cab which is being sold for about £250
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Jak Archer
Apparently, the people arranging the show aren't going to mic the amps because the sound guy sucks

EDIT: I'm also looking at a used Marshall 1960A cab which is being sold for about £250
Exactly. That is why everyone should stop constantly stating that it's fine if you mic it up. Most bands don't have PA's. Most venues these small bands are playing at cannot afford a £4000 PA system.

Unfortunately, mate 5 watts won't be loud enough, period. You will have no clean headroom at all. 20 watts through a 4x12 is a minimal I'd recommend.
^Cheers, I'm going to try and get a soundman for the gig, but I'm wondering whether I should get that marshall 1960A anyway because Class 5's (on youtube anyway) sound good with 4x12's.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
I like my HT-5 better through my 4x12 than I do through a 1x12. 5 watts still isn't enough to gig with though.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^Have you tried you Blackstar through a 2x12?
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
I gig with a 5 watt thru a 1x12 cab all the time. Mic it to the PA and rock on.

Without a PA, don't believe it will work no matter how many speakers you run.
Quote by Jak Archer
^Have you tried you Blackstar through a 2x12?
No, 1x12 and 4x12 only. Never had my Blackstar while I owned my 1936.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
if you dont want any cleans, and you drummer doesnt suck (i.e. can control his volume) you could feasibly do it. but i would def. want to be in the PA.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.