Im running a Carvin v3 6505 and Splawn Nitro would it be worth changing the preamp valves? Im reasonably happy with the tones im getting but im always trying to improve.
What tubes have you got in there?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Definitely. It's such an easy and cheap thing to do that can yield big tone, gain and attack improvements. Sometimes just one preamp tube changes things for the better.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Yes, they can make a big difference as far as frequencies that are emphasized, buzziness and amount of gain go. Just start V1 and go from there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Do you mean swapping out one brand of preamp tubes for another brand, such as swapping Tung Sols for Groove Tubes; or do you mean trying to swap one kind of tube for another, such as swapping a 12AX7 for a 12AT7?

The first one might get you a noticeable change in tone. The second one probably wouldn't work at all.
^ A 12AX7 to 12AT7 swap would make a huge difference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^True.

AT's have generally less gain but add tremendously to a clean channel.

So preamp tube swapping whether it is brand or type does make a big difference.

lucertia - I sent you a PM or a friends request some time ago if you want to check it. I'm getting ready to do some preamp tube swapping on my Quick Rod if that will help you. Right now I have all JJ's and no complaints. This project is more for the fun of it. The preamp tubes I have to play with are:

Tung Sol
Penta Labs 9th gen
JAN Phillips 5751

all 12AX7s.

Generally, JJs and Mullards are considered 'darker' while Tung Sols, Sovteks, etc are considered 'brighter'.
DOOOOOD!!! you got a Phillips 5751?!?!?! clips very much appreciated!

also, i've heard a nitro with tung sols, amazing. absolutely.****ing.amazing!