Could anyone give me some bass effects help?

I've been looking into effects lately and the terms have me at a loss...

what is compression, envelope, expander, synth... ect...

ANY effects terms I might find reletive to bass would be great to know (even one's that might be obvious...

I want to learn anything you guys know, so lets make this a collective knowledge dump!!!

layman's terms welcome
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
sweep, boost, phase, shift... other stuff like that

well, what sound do you want added to your clean tone? example?

no post can possibly contain every tone conjurable with effects pedals.

chorus, fuzz, overdrive, delay, and phaser are my favorites. wikipedia could help.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Compression evens out the peaks in your playing by restricting the signal; in effect, squeezing or "compressing" it. This is not to say that it compensates for sloppy technique. It just keeps notes from sounding significantly louder than others due to variations in how hard or aggressively you strike the strings. Compression is generally considered a bassist's primary effect. Use it sparingly, or it will suck the life out of your tone.

An envelope filter filters the signal coming through it; thereby turning a noise (sound) signal into a weird, synth-like sound. Old analog keyboard synthesizers traditionally had envelope filter controls to turn the basic sound generated by the noise generator into musical synth sounds. With an envelope filter bass pedal, the noise generator is your bass. A lot of enevlope filters are marketed these days as synthesizer pedals.

A true bass or guitar synthesizer usually requires the addition of a special pickup to your instrument, and the unit is capable of making your instrument sound like a variety of different things from string ensembles to sci-fi weirdness.

Expanders and boosts enlarge or amplify targeted frequencies. Expanders like the Aphex are rack-mounted effects processors that you usually find in a recording situation.
Quote by FatalGear41
Compression evens out the peaks in your playing by restricting the signal; in effect, squeezing or "compressing" it. This is not to say that it compensates for sloppy technique. It just keeps notes from sounding significantly louder than others due to variations in how hard or aggressively you strike the strings. Compression is generally considered a bassist's primary effect. Use it sparingly, or it will suck the life out of your tone.

Is it weird that I don't feel right playing with a compressor? Every now and then I like to slap the crap out of my strings an purposely clip it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Is it weird that I don't feel right playing with a compressor? Every now and then I like to slap the crap out of my strings an purposely clip it.

Not at all. A lot of people feel that using a compressor is like putting your tone and your dynamics on a leash. They hate the things and wouldn't use them no matter what.
Quote by FatalGear41
Compression is generally considered a bassist's primary effect.

I do not agree with this at all.

And TS, the best thing for you to do would be to google the terms to get an idea, then if you have a more specific question post here again, its kind of hard to answer the very broad question that you've given us.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Sorry about that, it just seems that there are very common terms, and it is very hard to find a deffinition. Whe I google stuff like this, i just get adds to buy pedals

There's a guide in the FAQ. I in fact wrote it.

Check it out, brief description of most effect types.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
wikipedia is always pretty good.

then youtube can help also.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom