So I have been thinking, for some reason I am starting to turn away from the stock pickups on the bridge of my strat, Its a humbucker, but I am looking for more sustain and crisper tone, while still sound more heavy, how much for an upgrade, and could I change the pickup myself
if u want a decent name brand humbucker, ur looking at about $80 new. u can do it urself if u have a soldering iron, the ability to follow a color coded diagram, and basic motor skills.

however, ur description of what ur looking for is kind of vague. name some bands u want to sound like and what amp u have.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I agree. it would be nice to know who you would like to sound like and what your amp is.

For the sake of a quick suggestion, I own an HSS Strat as well and I decided to put a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge. It now sounds a lot heavier and has a ton of sustain. This is actually the bridge pickup that was in the Tom Delonge sig Strat. I bought it cuz i wanted a good punk tone, which i achieved, but by dialing in my amp a little different I can get a good heavy metal sound too. try to get back to us on what it is you want though. there are many others willing to help you
Well I put in a seymour duncan JB in my strat. It made it what I wanted, it made it heavier, but not too heavy, that perfect overall balance that I was looking for, I felt the pickup in mine was a little to weak. However, it made my strat sound more trebly when on that pickup, which is a given, but some people may not like. What type of bands/genres are you wanting to sound like, I kind of need more then just crisp and more sustain?
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Im not too fond on pickups, this video lesson to interstate love songs this guy seems to have changed his pickups to something I might like.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOK8VWaR0w

Heres my fav bands Alice in Chains,Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction,Sound Garden, Nirvana,Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Metallica, Alice Cooper,Black Sabbath, David Bowie, The Dead Kennedys, The Doors,Led Zeppelin, Mad Season, Pantera, The Police, Queens of the Stone Age, The Sex Pistols, Wolfmother,Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Primus, BLUE OYSTER CULT, Van Halen, The Police, Allman Brothers Brothers Jerry Cantrell, The White Stripes, Weezer, Neil Young, Ac/Dc, Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Smashing Pumpkins, The Scorpions, R.E.M, The Dire Straits
jbs are amazing pickups and very versatile. however, it may be a little bright for a strat and the bands u listed. i would suggest a custom custom or stag mag by seymour duncan. im not too keen on dimarzio, so if anyone wants to suggest some, go for it.

please note every comment in this thread WILL be peoples personal opinions. if there is any be-all end-all advice when looking at new gear, youtube ur ass off, and go try it urself (which is tough for pickups, but most places will let u return them after so many days, and dimarzio has a full replacement program where u can keep trying ones till u get one u like).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Oct 13, 2009,
I agree with xxunder-takerxx. jb's would be an excellent pickup for the style(s) you want to play and would give you a very close sound to the list of your favorite bands. believe me, the jb is an amazing pickup to compliment a strat. my only problem is that they almost get too agressive for any slower style of music but hey, that's what your neck pickup is for
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
jbs are amazing pickups and very versatile. however, it may be a little bright for a strat and the bands u listed. i would suggest a custom custom or stag mag by seymour duncan. im not too keen on dimarzio, so if anyone wants to suggest some, go for it.

please note every comment in this thread WILL be peoples personal opinions. if there is any be-all end-all advice when looking at new gear, youtube ur ass off, and go try it urself (which is tough for pickups, but most places will let u return them after so many days, and dimarzio has a full replacement program where u can keep trying ones till u get one u like).

If he's already replacing pickups and he does it himself, then he could (if its not already done) rewire the tone controls so one of them affects the bridge. The other, affecting either just the neck, or both neck and middle. That way, he can roll off the treble and brightness that he might experience with the JB.

My vote goes with the JB based upon versatility, however. I've seen it used in many genres. I'm not too sure with DiMarzio on something that has an all around use. I've heard different things from the AT-1 to the Breed or Evolution. The versatility that comes with pickups is based upon your amp. If you have a one trick pony amplifier, then your pickups will most likely be a one trick pony too. Likewise, if you have an amp that can handle all your pickup needs, then your new pickup will be able to handle all those needs. If it still doesn't handle it, then you have to determine if its the amp or the pickups and you experiment till you find it.