I'm scheming to build myself a rather shnazzy speaker cabinet for myself soon, so I'm wondering if any of you folks have any wiring tips or plans of your own for building one. I'm sure it's probably not much of a project to put one together, but I'd rather not just wing it.

Thanks in advance
I built a 1x12 with a custom design. You could just make it a bit bigger to house the 2 speakers. I tilted the baffle back to point towards the ceiling a bit to disperse sound better. I just dadoed the sides and slid the baffle in and glued and screwed. I also made the back removable so you can have an open back or close back tone.
Your best bet is going on the net and finding dimensions of an existing 2x12, once you have that cut the panels out of MDF, then work out what kinda joint you're using to put it together
don't use MDF. It's heavy, terrible when wet, and sound-dampening, not great for a cabinet for guitar speakers. I'd recommend gapless 11-ply spruce or maple plywood.
------

Shwiggity.
Or birch ply
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
+1 for birch or other ply. Particle board is better than MDF so long as it is high density but ply is lighter and tougher.

Your cab and speakers act as a tuned unit unless you are going for an open backed cab. There's no point going for a ported cab for guitar as the port is only effective below the lowest notes a guitar makes.

You need to match the speakers to a particular volume to get the sound you want. Either copy a commercial design you like or start reading about speaker design. loads on the web or get the loudspeaker design cookbook.

If you get stuck pm me
Quote by PhilR
Many branded cabs use ply (birch or otherwise) for the shell and particleboard (not MDF) for the front and back panels. I built a 2x12" bass cab years ago copying a basic Ampeg pattern (with the cab roughly 4x10" sized and the drivers diagonally aligned).

Unfortunatly I went a bit nuts with the dimensions and the thing was so deep it barely fit through a doorway. I had to abandon it when I left my parents house unfortunatly.

thats what i meant
Quote by Phil Starr
+1 for birch or other ply. Particle board is better than MDF so long as it is high density but ply is lighter and tougher.

Your cab and speakers act as a tuned unit unless you are going for an open backed cab. There's no point going for a ported cab for guitar as the port is only effective below the lowest notes a guitar makes.

You need to match the speakers to a particular volume to get the sound you want. Either copy a commercial design you like or start reading about speaker design. loads on the web or get the loudspeaker design cookbook.

If you get stuck pm me
Listen to Mr. Starr! Also, check out the following:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Phil+Starr/contributions/columns/

And it's always very useful to read various, available articles, not only for safety, but to get the tone you want based on the specs of your ideal.

Many manufacturers and many people will swear by birch ply, because plain and simply it's good.

My local supplier didn't have any so i opted for regular ply instead.

I think the main differences between birch ply and regular ply is that there is less voids in the ply's in birch ply.

Apart from that it all works the same.