Ok I know I'm new here but this is kinda the formula that I use to write a song. It seems to work fairly well but I want your input on how to improve. and hopefully help new guys

Ok say I wrote a chorus containing 8 sylables, I always count my sylables by the way because it helps you with the timing in the music itself like

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
so once I have lyrics I like I hum it and try to figure out a melody for it

Am
blah blah
C
blah blah
E
blah blah
Am
blah blah

so now I have a chorus next I'll pretty much do the same thing for a verse then Ill try to come up with some sort of structure of course the verse needs to sound good in conjunction with the verse alot of times if you jump into the wrong mode or something it will sound like ****

Intro

verse 1

verse 2

chorus 1 sometimes I like to change my chorus up dunno if thats good or not though

verse 3

verse 4

chorus 2 etc
what I'm trying to get at here is that every song has to have structure if you've ever recorded and done all your tracks seperate you'll understand how important timing and structure become I hope this helps. I don't know if this matches up with any technical theories but it seems to work for me.
Last edited by Captain Capo at Oct 13, 2009,
Are you trying to help or are you asking for help?
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Oh. Well the way you write is fine, in fact I wouldn't really be asking for any help with the actual writing process because there's no real concrete right or wrong way to do it. Everyone is different. However you are most comfortable with writing, that is the right way. So if this feels right, go for it.

For the same reasons, this isn't going to help anybody.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I guess I just think about combining music with the actual writing so when people ask how to write a song I naturally want to go further than just the pen and pad.