I'm wondering if there is enough of a quality/tone difference between the dimarzio/SD production pickups and WCR/Rio Grande pickups to justify the price difference?
Depends on amp, and needs.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
^That.

If a production pickup is the tone you're looking for, there's nothing at all wrong with that. But if a boutique pickup has the tone your looking for, there's nothing wrong with that either, you'll just wind up spending a bit more.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
let me try again:
are WCR pickups THAT MUCH better than dimarzios to justify the price difference?
^it depends....

what amp do you have?
what are you looking for?
what guitar are you putting it into?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by sethp
let me try again:
are WCR pickups THAT MUCH better than dimarzios to justify the price difference?

Like I said, it depends on the tone you want. It's hard to say one pickup is measurably better than another.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^it depends....

what amp do you have?
what are you looking for?
what guitar are you putting it into?

mesa 50 cal+
better tone
the jackson in my sig
He means what kind of tone are you looking for?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by sethp
I'm wondering if there is enough of a quality/tone difference between the dimarzio/SD production pickups and WCR/Rio Grande pickups to justify the price difference?
So, I've had a few boutique pickups...

WCR Fillmore neck and bridge, Crossroads neck, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and custom wind.

Yes, boutique pickups, in general, sound better. More attention goes into each one, and you can get them customized to what you want. But Seymour Duncans are great pickups, and back in the old days, Seymour was doing the same thing that Jim Wagner, Tim Mills, Wolfe Macleod, Dave Stephens etc. do now, and he was one of the best at doing it, he also has one of the best winders in the business winding pickups in his custom shop winding pickups for guys like Slash, Jimmy Page, EVH, just about any huge name that uses Seymour Duncans. But his regular production models are a clear step below his custom shop pickups as well as his Antiquity line.

That being said, I like my Wolfetones over any Duncan I've owned, including Seths and Antiquities. And I mean... and a set of antiquities are like... $240 anyway, something like a set of WCR Crossroads or Wolfetone Dr. Vs are only like $30-$40 more.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987
So, I've had a few boutique pickups...

WCR Fillmore neck and bridge, Crossroads neck, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and custom wind.

Yes, boutique pickups, in general, sound better. More attention goes into each one, and you can get them customized to what you want. But Seymour Duncans are great pickups, and back in the old days, Seymour was doing the same thing that Jim Wagner, Tim Mills, Wolfe Macleod, Dave Stephens etc. do now, and he was one of the best at doing it, he also has one of the best winders in the business winding pickups in his custom shop winding pickups for guys like Slash, Jimmy Page, EVH, just about any huge name that uses Seymour Duncans. But his regular production models are a clear step below his custom shop pickups as well as his Antiquity line.

That being said, I like my Wolfetones over any Duncan I've owned, including Seths and Antiquities. And I mean... and a set of antiquities are like... $240 anyway, something like a set of WCR Crossroads or Wolfetone Dr. Vs are only like $30-$40 more.

Exactly. In the States Duncans are worth it, but here in Europe they aren't. In most cases a set of Bareknuckles is less than $90 than a set of Duncans. I can tell you that the difference is BIG. I had decent production pickups (Swineshead) but then put in my Bareknuckles and everybody could tell straight away that it was a difference. Those pickups really lets the guitar through and gives you a lot of clarity. Plus over here we have guys like Rock Monkey who'll wind a boutique set of pickups for the same price as Duncans.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009