I have a question about Chord progressions. You see i understand the basics of it
like in a major chord progression its Major minor minor major and so on.

As for the question, how would you explain a Chord progression that has extensions in it such as dom7 chords and 6ths and 9s and 13ths.
it is still the same.

6ths 9th 13ths dont change whether a chord has a minor or major quality to it.

You could relate the extensions to the melody saying the melody outlines this particular extension. Or you could say having these extensions in this particular part of the progression creates a chromatic line in the highest voice or something..

EDIT:
Re looked at your question, not sure what you're really asking. Could you tell us in what context you mean?
Last edited by mdwallin at Oct 14, 2009,
Do you mean chord progressions or chord scales?

If you mean scales, as in building a chord off each scale degree, have you learnt it by rote or do you know how to harmonise the scale by stacking 3rds?

If you learnt it by rote - learnt to stack thirds to work it out yourself.

If you can stack thirds - well then add another 3rd onto the triad to create 7th chords, add another 3rd on top of that to create 9th chords etc
Do you mean ho to notate it? It's the same really:
V9 - IM7
For example.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
sorry for the confusion I`m bad at describing things sometimes. What i mean is like in some music I`ll see maybe something like a Gb chord and then Next to it I`ll see another Gb chord with another extension.
You just write the given extensions as they are. Like the example mentioned above.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Extensions are exactly what they sound like. They extend beyond the basic triad. The most common extension would be the various 7th chords. You get them by simple adding another third on top of a triad.

[B]C[/B] D [B]E[/B] F [B]G[/B] A [B]B[/B]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[U]^   ^   ^[/U]   ^
  Triad     Extension

This is how you'd find the 7th chord based on the first degree of the major scale (in C for simplicity). It consists of a root, major third, perfect fifth, and major seventh interval.

There are four kinds of 7th chords in the harmonized major scale. They are the major seventh (written as Xmaj7), the minor seventh (written as Xmin7 or Xm7), the dominant seventh (written as X7), and the half diminished seventh (written as Xø or Xm7(b5)).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 14, 2009,
Well i get what an extension is But i guess what i`m trying to get at for words would be how would you describe some extensions qualities as major and minor?
Extensions themselves don't have Major/minor qualities.

You get how you stack thirds to make the extensions right?

Well, instead of it being a minor9 above the tonic, you call it a b9.

eg:

You have a chord: E, G, B, D, F.
E, G, B = Eminor Triad
D= b7
F= b9

all up = Emin7 b9

If you added an A you would have Emin7b9add11
Last edited by mdwallin at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by 7even
Do you mean ho to notate it? It's the same really:
V9 - IM7
For example.

Writing it with roman numerals, you'd usually see it with figured bass numbers rather than lead sheet symbols.
Quote by mdwallin

If you added an A you would have Emin7b9add11

I would just call that one Em11b9
Quote by deHufter
I would just call that one Em11b9

works too

in case elucid doesn't understand this. The 11 suggests there is a 9 and b7 underneath it.
Just like if you had a 13 it would suggest there is an 11, 9, and b7 too.
If you do want this, you say add 13.

eg
E, G, B, D, C = Emin7add13

E, G, B, D, F, A, C = Emin13

also, just having 7 suggests that it is flattened.