So my parents got me a nice 12 string for my birthday, but after some thought I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't put it to enough use to have it, so I returned it and now I have around 800 bucks for a new electric guitar.

Criteria:

-Solid body, humbuckers
-Preferably no tremelo
-I play a wide range of sounds, but I focus on 90's grunge/alternative/post grunge
Think Creed, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins etc.
-THIN NECK, maybe not crazy thin, but a 60's slim tapered neck

I'm pretty set on les pauls, I'm not a huge fan of SG's. If you have a suggestion of other types thats fine, but I'm looking pretty hard at les pauls.

I'm definitely willing to go used, and almost prefer it although it will be Craigslist, I don't think ebay is really an option.

Some background on my gear:

I have a great amp (JCM 900) a boardfull of pedals, and a MIM Strat and LTD Explorer.

I love the strat, but I feel I need something more beefy, by no means a metal guitar (I already have that) but something with a little more oomph.

I've looked into Epiphones, and I love the neck on the standard plus top but I feel like I want something higher quality. I've also looked low end Gibsons, such as the Studio and Special, they seem pretty legit, but opinions are welcome on these.

I've also talked to MatrixClaw extensively about Edwards a company that has some pretty nice les paul copies. This seems like an awesome option, but I'd have to order it from Japan, and I wouldn't be able to play it before I got it.

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for the help.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I have a epiphone les paul standard, i think its plus top, and its alright... I would only use it as a backup guitar...

A very good guitar that is right in your price range is the fender highway one strat.

You could also probably get a gibson cheap from ebay or something.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Quote by manipulator70
A very good guitar that is right in your price range is the fender highway one strat.

You could also probably get a gibson cheap from ebay or something.

Did you even read his post?

A Fender Jaguar with the 2 humbuckers like this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Jaguar-Special-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=518749

If you could find that used it should be good.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
If you're willing to step a little out of your price range, I'd recommend a Jackson Custom Shop guitar. I own 5 and they all play amazingly.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Last edited by Smarglefarb at Oct 13, 2009,
try to find a used LP Studio. Make sure to try it, I have love my LP studio but I had to sift through 15 of them to find one I was willing to pay for. Also I second trying out the jackson. I'm not the biggest fan of 'shredder' guitars but jackson has some good ones that are worth looking at, especially for a thin neck.
Well I've played a couple studio's and they seem awesome, but I'm not a fan of their neck.

Does anyone know if their is a studio with a slim tapered '60's neck?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Prepare to be blown away... everything you need.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jaguar-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=511323

When I played one of these at GC I thought all the stars aligned...
but then I realized I needed a new amp.

But seriously, this is an absolute necessity, and it's Fender made in Japan so the quality is really good.

Do it!
Last edited by alwaysdancing at Oct 14, 2009,
Carvin Bolt built to your specs custom built in the USA. You can get real AAAAA maple, and all kinds of great wood choices and stainless frets etc. On that budget. Fastest necks you can find.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=boltplus

Gallery http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/process/getGuitarsByModelID.php?model=boltplus
Last edited by Thirtythr33 at Oct 14, 2009,
buy a used gibson lp. or look into the higher end epiphones. i play the new epis and i love them. they are deff a bang for your buck. but if you can find a older gibson in your price range obviously thats the way to go. the new **** isnt bad either. just take your time and if you use craigs list make sure you play it before you buy obviously. test every single thing twice.

side note, low end gibsons are pretty much american made epis. ive played the lower end gibsons more than enough times to be 100 percent behind what i say. nothign wrong with that, but you could get a guitar with a better finish atleast for the same price if not cheaper. ahah. if youve been looking at epis youre on a good track. i have a epi SG and love this thing. iv eplayed the pricey gibsons and theyre solid and sound amazing, but for my budget the epis are pretty spot on. the only thing i recmond is maybe looking into changing the epi pick ups out for gibson if you really like the gibson tone. at higher volumes the pick ups will get some pretty annoying sounds, but nothing unbareable compared to whatd you deal wth on a low end jackson or bc rich.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 14, 2009,