Let me start with a brief musical history. I've been playing about a year, mostly fingerpicking but I have also become proficient with a pick. I'd say the hardest song I've learned is Fire and Rain by James Taylor and I had a great time learning it while also holding myself back from breaking my guitar in two.

Getting to the heart of the matter, I've been saving up for six months to upgrade to an all solid wood guitar and I have can now afford one. Lately I've been in a rut though. I'm trying to learn the General by Dispatch but the how to video's are wrong in the exact chords because I have the legit sheet music it's even more difficult than the video's. This happens with every single song and it's really turning me off to guitar.

My question to all of you is should I get the guitar? My Takamine GS330 is only really good for fingerpicking and the low action makes all the barre chords buzz like a bee hive. I'm just worried that i'm going to lose interest right as I go into this 1000 dollar investment.
yes, you should get the guitar. a new guitar is always more fun, and hearing the improved sounds you make while playing a better guitar is inspiring.

but you should also try and learn more songs and different types of songs that are a little easier for you. a challenge is good, and keeps you going, although i hope you also take the time to play the songs you already have learned just for fun.

and while a challenge can be good, a huge challenge that is really hard to overcome is not fun and makes playing no fun, and that makes one not want to play. so maybe you're just trying to jump ahead to far. if you were taking lessons in person, your teacher would not jump you so far ahead in your skills but would teach a little at a time. maybe you could try and teach yourself the same way. maybe you can find some tab or lessons online that are more in keeping with your present skills.

did you have your tak professionally set up?

btw, do you jam with people who are near your skill level? i love doing that - makes it all worthwhile
it was professionally set up. it also has no pickguard and it has a satin finish so I already have a few pick marks on the sound board.

I think I'll take your advice and buy it while also playing some simpler songs before I move on. Do you have any recommendations for songs that use a pick? no fancy techniques though.
i wish i could help out there but i don't use a pick, and have rarely ever used one.

if you have that much buzzing perhaps your set up guy didn't do it right for you. or did you switch to lighter strings?

btw, what guitars are you considering?
Last edited by patticake at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by patticake
i wish i could help out there but i don't use a pick, and have rarely ever used one.

if you have that much buzzing perhaps your set up guy didn't do it right for you. or did you switch to lighter strings?

btw, what guitars are you considering?

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.