After weeks of deliberation and deep internal reflection, I have narrowed my choices down to 2-3.

Agile Dauntless EMG w/ Floyd Rose Trem

Xaviere 870 (neovin pickups upgrade and Neovin Active preamp upgrades)

Xaviere xv500/xv510 (bottom of the list IMO just because of the lower grade hardware, non locking nut. Would be upgraded to a 3 band EQ+ boost mod board from GF and probably hotter pickups.)

What do you guys think of:
The Agile's thinner top is said to have less brightness than the 3/4 Xaviere. True? Insignificant?

The Strat vs the LP? Strat seems like it would be brighter and probably more versital while the LP would have the lock on deep/dark tones.

I play pop/rock/metal/etc.

Thanks again!
What an original post!
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Quote by -tempest-
what a helpful post!

what a hurtful post!
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by -tempest-
what a helpful post!

Yours wasn't much better.

You're on about the strat vs. lp difference, TS. Strats are a little "Janglier", while LP's have a warmer sound. LP's also will sustain until the world ends.
Quote by DeadlyKombat
what a hurtful post!

What a truthful post!

/\ You ruined it.
SleepSoil
Quote by Anthony1991
I blame you for the fact my PC monitor is now covered in chocolate digestive, cheers
Quote by vsdornelas
That was, um... really, really funny. I lolstack you now.

Quote by -tempest-
what a helpful post!

what a helpful post!

for pop/rock/metal, i'd go with an LP. it'll get you a lot closer to metal than a strat will, and they are used all over the place in pop and rock.
Quote by DeadlyKombat
what a hurtful post!

What a repetitive post!

You're right on the sound differences. Personally I'd go with a les paul style, unless you can get a humbucker onto the strat style or you already have a guitar with a humbucker. If you are into metal/hard rock, then you HAVE to have a humbucker somewhere in your arsenal, but single coils can provide different textures to experiment with.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by T00l 46&2

/\ You ruined it.

meh, not everyone is required to think stupid internet shenanigans are funny
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
if you're looking to play everything from pop to metal i'd say go with the LP. the strat is definitely a versatile guitar, but the LP will get you the ability to handle high gain for metal, and still give you decent cleans.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
If you're willing to step a little out of your price range, I'd recommend a Jackson Custom Shop guitar. I own 5 and they all play amazingly.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Quote by OverUnderOnward
Yours wasn't much better.

You're on about the strat vs. lp difference, TS. Strats are a little "Janglier", while LP's have a warmer sound. LP's also will sustain until the world ends.

Strat's can sustain for just as long

My vote goes for a modded strat. They're used in pop, jazz,blues, rock, hard rock, and metal. You can either mod yours to be like Dave Murray's, with an HSH configuration and add coil split on the humbuckers, or an HSS configuration.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

My vote goes for a modded strat. They're used in pop, jazz,blues, rock, hard rock, and metal. You can either mod yours to be like Dave Murray's, with an HSH configuration and add coil split on the humbuckers, or an HSS configuration.

lol are you kidding?
Quote by Smarglefarb
lol are you kidding?

And that was in reference to what? The fact that a modded strat can play anything or the fact the strat can sustain just as well and long as an LP?
Quote by FallsDownStairs
And that was in reference to what? The fact that a modded strat can play anything or the fact the strat can sustain just as well and long as an LP?

More like the fact the the American Fender Stratocaster is what heat glowbach is to a Jackson Esquire. Absolutely worthless in every facet but malleability.
Quote by Smarglefarb
More like the fact the the American Fender Stratocaster is what heat glowbach is to a Jackson Esquire. Absolutely worthless in every facet but malleability.

they see me trollin'
Yup. Thanks guys. I am one incredably indecisive dude right now. Looks like an LP.

What about the Agile's thinner top vs the thicker version?
Quote by Smarglefarb

Well poor you for having bad experiences with Strats. It's too bad they've been used in every genre, I guess all of those famous guitarists must be worthless too.

Quote by ghiyath

they see me trollin'

I'll personally vouch for Xaviere and say they are the best guitars for the price.
Well poor you for having bad experiences with Strats. It's too bad they've been used in every genre, I guess all of those famous guitarists must be worthless too.

Yeah, I even was considering a Xaviere Telecaster too after finding metal guitarists who use those as well.

Honestly, with as much distortion as I will be using I expect it wouldn't matter very much, and the tone differences will just be really subtle.

I just think that maybe an LP will be easier to do metal with less pedal. *shrug*

The only reason I was considering the strat was the neovin pickups with an integrated preamp "active pickup" mod board would be neat and less common in the metal genre. The only strat I ever had was a POS about 13 years ago.

A tele could be neat too, and I like the idea of playing with heavy strings and getting nice semi acoustics with a semi hollow.

Christ. I would love to have a guitar collection, but it is so much easier to hide pedals and other electronics (amp mods,etc) from the wife. 3-4 new guitars would stick out like a sore thumb.

I guess I should just get the agile and work on getting others later.

Now for another question, floyd rose trem or no trem? I have read that floyd rose trems can "rob tone". How so?
Last edited by PimpSmurf at Oct 13, 2009,
I see why versus threads are the suck around here. Sorry.

And I search and read my ass off, here, and everywhere constantly. I have 100 questions a day, and the fact that I can answer all but the few I post is a testament to my dedication.

The problem is, I have played all types of guitars, gibson LP's, SG's, Telecasters, etc,etc, but only the SG/LP was setup the way I would use it, so it's kinda hard to imagine a hum-free, highly boosted strat, or high output distortion pickups in a tele. Not trying to make a **** thread, I am trying to find out a few things that are only ambiguously alluded to various places around the web. It seems like the 3/4" maple tops are more for design than tone. I do know this, whatever I get will be better than this POS Dean Vendetta XM. Can't even get the intonation correct
Quote by PimpSmurf
I see why versus threads are the suck around here. Sorry.

And I search and read my ass off, here, and everywhere constantly. I have 100 questions a day, and the fact that I can answer all but the few I post is a testament to my dedication.

The problem is, I have played all types of guitars, gibson LP's, SG's, Telecasters, etc,etc, but only the SG/LP was setup the way I would use it, so it's kinda hard to imagine a hum-free, highly boosted strat, or high output distortion pickups in a tele. Not trying to make a **** thread, I am trying to find out a few things that are only ambiguously alluded to various places around the web. It seems like the 3/4" maple tops are more for design than tone. I do know this, whatever I get will be better than this POS Dean Vendetta XM. Can't even get the intonation correct

You can pickup change. Dimarzio has hum canceling single coils along with stacked humbuckers.
I didn't care to actually read any post past the third one, but I was also in the same position as you at one time, I personally went with a les paul and eventually got a strat later; in my true opinion, you can't go wrong with either, and you could definitely use both. I honestly use both my strat and my les paul an equal amount, I love the chunkier/heavier sounds I can get with my les paul, but I also love the sounds I can get from my strat, and I truly use both equally when it comes to jamming/recording. So I'd personally tell you to pick whichever you prefer the feel to, and then in the long run, buy the other, it's been worth it to me, maybe not to you, but that's my personal opinion.
i'm about to get a dimarzio super distortion for my tele, and another single coil sized humbucker for the neck position of my strat soon. seymour duncan has a few single coil sized humbuckers too. they're great for getting the look you want with the sound you were really looking for in the first place.

they won't sound EXACTLY like regular humbuckers, but they'll get you pretty damn close
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yeah, The GFS line of neovins are what I have been looking at. I have played side by side and stacked humbuckers and didn't dig um.

This is what I have been thinking. The Ash version of the xv870 should have a different tone than the others (but swamp ash can be a good or bad thing, apparently depending on if the wood used is from the top or bottom of the tree. Lol)

I guess I just need. Uhm. Both. I guess I will get an LP first since it will require less modification.
Quote by PimpSmurf
Yeah, The GFS line of neovins are what I have been looking at. I have played side by side and stacked humbuckers and didn't dig um.

This is what I have been thinking. The Ash version of the xv870 should have a different tone than the others (but swamp ash can be a good or bad thing, apparently depending on if the wood used is from the top or bottom of the tree. Lol)

I guess I just need. Uhm. Both. I guess I will get an LP first since it will require less modification.

Swamp ash is generally a good wood, but it depends on the quality. Higher quality will lead to be better swamp ash for tone, while if you bought a $200 guitar made of Swamp Ash, it's most likely lower quality.

I personally like the sound of a good swamp ash strat, which is why once I get a job I'll be saving up for a 1954 strat ($15000 here I come )

However, Swamp Ash is bright. It's how Fender got known for their glassy cleans. It's also good for telecasters as Swamp Ash doesn't have the balanced mid range mixed with the low and treble of Alder, it focuses more on the highs and lows and a little on the middle. That's how telecasters get that good spank and quack, aside from the shape and pickups.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Oct 14, 2009,
Wow. Fantastic information. Thank you. I definately need a Les Paul first after that information, and a strat after that.

Can you comment on the maple top thickness? (3/4" vs 1/16" top)

It would seem to me that the more mahagany, the more crunchy lowsa I can get out of it, and the thicker the maple top, the more highs I can get out of it.

Makes me think the Agile will be better for my first LP guitar since I am really interested in playing at the heavier end right now.

Trem or no trem?
Quote by PimpSmurf
Wow. Fantastic information. Thank you. I definately need a Les Paul first after that information, and a strat after that.

Can you comment on the maple top thickness? (3/4" vs 1/16" top)

It would seem to me that the more mahagany, the more crunchy lowsa I can get out of it, and the thicker the maple top, the more highs I can get out of it.

Makes me think the Agile will be better for my first LP guitar since I am really interested in playing at the heavier end right now.

Trem or no trem?

The trem is up to you. Depending on how thick the veener of the maple is, it will or will not have any change in the tone. The body of the guitar is made mostly of Mahogany, while flamed or quilted or any other type of textured wood is used as a visual appearance, just like binding on the fretboard.
I want the trem for it's ability, but the real question is why are they called "tone robbing" and "blasphemy" in parts of the tele world.

The tops compared are 1/16" and 3/4", what do you think the tonal differences would be?
^3/4" is a LOT more wood than 1/16". Maple is a fairly bright wood; it'll add a lot of spank to the XV's tone.
Now the pickups in there are already fairly hot (the bridge is a clone of a Duncan Custom).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Possibly because I've never played a top quality strat (played standard, but not American Standard) , but I've always found LP's to sustain much longer.
Not sure if spank/twang/etc is what I want. I have a Dean Vendetta, and it is only capable of a certain kinda tone. Whatever pedals I throw at it, it has little sustain, and so much twang (light, paultolina body) and so much twang cutting through whatever I play. With a GFS VEH pickup in the bridge it screams southern rock, but that is all I can manage.

When I bought it, the guy demo'd it and I assumed it was because of his age, but now I think it is because of it's only capability. Haha
Quote by PimpSmurf
Not sure if spank/twang/etc is what I want. I have a Dean Vendetta, and it is only capable of a certain kinda tone. Whatever pedals I throw at it, it has little sustain, and so much twang (light, paultolina body) and so much twang cutting through whatever I play. With a GFS VEH pickup in the bridge it screams southern rock, but that is all I can manage.

When I bought it, the guy demo'd it and I assumed it was because of his age, but now I think it is because of it's only capability. Haha

Strats will generally always twang, and you can get that twang also on LPs, just not as much. It's a good sound and sounds excellent in all genres. Gives the sound a different flavor.

Like I've said, I prefer high quality Swamp Ash over high quality Alder. They're both lightweight, they're both balanced and just overall good tone woods. I've never heard of trems robbing away tone, even floyds. I've listened to a lot of tone freaks, even some who sound so far fetched at things (EJ for example) and no one has come out and said it robs away tone.

Quote by OverUnderOnward
Possibly because I've never played a top quality strat (played standard, but not American Standard) , but I've always found LP's to sustain much longer.

This is definitely the case then. I just plucked an open G on both my EJ strat (Definitely high quality) and my MIM. The EJ strat definitely resonated more than the MIM. So I think quality definitely has a lot to do with how long something sustains. Generally Mahogany and heavy weight will sustain longer than Alder might, but even low grade mahogany (Epis) would have sustain problems too.

EDIT for my first response about strats in every genre.

Dave Murray's signature strat with Fender. Replica of the strat he mainly used which he retired. Proves strats are played in metal. Whether modded or stock.

Of course we all know SRV playing strats in Blues/Texas blues. Strats have always been used in blues.

and last but not least. Me being a fanboy, Eric Johnson shows what a strat can really do. Playing blues, rock, jazz, and fusion on his strat. More particularly, his 1954 stratocaster(Made with Swamp Ash) which was used in his 1988 Austin Performance.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Oct 14, 2009,
Hells yeah. I definately want one (well, a good one) but I would like to find one with a set in neck. I also definately want an LP with a thinner maple top and a trem.