I need to learn how lol, can anyone give me pointers on how to make learning songs by ear easier? or make me better? thanks!
yeah, I'm just starting to do this. But, I first just improvise over top of the song, just seeing what fits and what doesn't. Try every string, and not just one like I did when I first started out. And, then, do it with chords. Going drop D helps with this a lot. But, for solos and stuff, you are kinda on your own. Lol

As you do it, it gets so much easier. I'm no pro by any means, But I've learned almost all of our school's 'pretty guitar boy''s songs by ear. Lol
Ugh if you can't do it you should try learning some songs in other ways. Like using sheet music, then it will become easier and easier. Start with easy songs also. But understanding theory helps, because you can try a chord and be like "oh that D was too high, maybe I should try an A or B?"
If you have no understanding of theory at all, you're just guessing. You need to know your fret board like the back of your hand to play by ear. because you can't play a chord that you don't know exists.
Start simple - really easy - like work out how to play happy birthday, then move on to twinkle twinkle little star. Gradually work your way up to the stuff you want to play.
Learn intervals. Then listen really closely, and stick at it until you get it. Do this with everything, and only use tabs once you can't get any further with your ear. After a few years it should start to come naturally.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Learn intervals. Then listen really closely, and stick at it until you get it. Do this with everything, and only use tabs once you can't get any further with your ear. After a few years it should start to come naturally.

Or a few weeks if you focus on functional pitch recognition instead of intervals.
I learned songs by tabs for about three years because I was lazy, until I started picking up easy songs by ear. I thought doing it by ear would be impossible so I never tried, but now it's getting alot easier.

I learned half of the LA Woman album by ear in 30 minutes. It's pretty easy and repetetive.

I would also stress AC/DC songs BECAUSE they use alot of the same simple chords. So, when you learn one song you can hear the other ones and be able to say, "Hey that chord was an E, and then a G and an A." You can learn ALOT of AC/DC songs by ear once you have a few down. For example, Let There Be Rock and Whole Lotta Rosie are both the same three chords for the main riff just played in different strumming.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Learn tune the instrument according the song, then try to figure out the rythm. This takes a HELL LOT OF PRACTICE! I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just saying it will take an awful lot more practice than with a normal tab if this is a hard song you are thinking about. If it's easy and you know its standard tuning it wont take long, though. Just listen to every Green Day song. They're standard. They're easy if you're going to learn tuning by ear.