Hey I was looking at the chord progression for one of porcupine tree's new songs (kneel and disconnect) and i was wondering what key this particular chord progression is in as I couldnt put my finger on it.

Bmin -> Gmaj -> Amaj -> E maj

Any help would be appreciated.

- cheers
I'd say A major with a borrowed G major chord from the parallel minor.
Playing it on the guitar it sounds like it would resolve to Bm.

So I'll say it's in the key of Bm with an Emaj instead of an Em (ie. a IV instead of iv)

Edit: Therefore if I were to solo over the progression, I'd use B minor over the progression, except over the E maj chord where I'd use B dorian.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by AlanHB
Edit: Therefore if I were to solo over the progression, I'd use B minor over the progression, except over the E maj chord where I'd use B dorian.
Or B min pentatonic over the whole thing - as it omits the 6th it works for B min and B dorian
Quote by zhilla
Or B min pentatonic over the whole thing - as it omits the 6th it works for B min and B dorian

Sure that works as well, but I like emphasing chord tones a lot when I solo. It's obviously a matter of personal preference.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sure that works as well, but I like emphasing chord tones a lot when I solo. It's obviously a matter of personal preference.
Sure - just thought I'd mention it in case TS hasn't covered modes yet.
Quote by zhilla
Sure - just thought I'd mention it in case TS hasn't covered modes yet.

Good point
Soundcloud
I think it may be healthier to think of it as having a tonal center rather than restricting it to having a specific key. Explaining the EM as a chord borrowed from the parallel minor is a great explanation though!