Page 1 of 2
(cell phone pr0n included)

OK. Well, I've played some of these before, but some were new to me. These reviews are based on 2 recent trips to Guitar Center, the last trip was last night. I didn't have a good enough handle the first time so I went back a second time namely for the Rebel 20, Night Train, and Blackstar. These 3 amps in particular do really well in the lower wattage lower cost arena that seems so popular right now.

Both trips I took my MIM Strat and played with both stock neck single coil and Duncan higher output humbucker. I also took my own lead cable as it is a pain sometimes up there to get a decent cable. In hind sight I should have taken my own power cable too, as there were a lot of amps that simply had no power to them.

My 5 star rating system is based on performance AND price. I live in the US. Sorry for poor pic quality, my phone doesn't take the greatest pictures and these were in the loud room which is not lit well. I'm not the greatest reviewer so bear with me

Blackstar HT-5S (stack)
$599
I've heard a lot of hype on these Blackstars and finally got to play one. I must say, I was quite impressed. This was the mini stack that includes 1 - 1x10 cab for $599. It had a nice gain structure for the OD and the clean channel was pretty impressive. The clean channel if I remember just had a separate volume control. The EQ was for the OD channel or at least shared. The EQ was 'backwards' in my book and took me a minute to figure out that the treble was on the left and the bass was on the right. The notable feature was the 'ISF' knob (infinite shape) that swung between 'USA' and 'UK'. Although I could definitely hear a difference, I'm just not sure yet how much of a gimmick this is. There was a difference, and all I can say is that in UK mode it had a lot of mids. Nice mids. It has 1 - 12AX7 preamp and 1 - 12BH7 tube which was unusual to me. The features that I liked were mainly the Headphone out, Record out, footswitch and FX loop. Overall, I really dug this amp and now have GAS for one. It was fairly touch sensitive and responsive to guitar tone changes but not as much as the other amps I played that day. Still, it could bring on some heavies.

Vox Night Train NT5H
$499
This amp seemed very versatile for its stripped down approach. It only has 1 channel but does have pentode/triode switching so it can switch from 15w to 7.5w and it has Bright and Thick toggle switch. Because it has a Master Volume you can get Vox AC type cleans out of it. I thought the cleans were great and very reminescent of the AC series so if that was the mark Vox was trying to hit I'd say they nailed it. It was heavier weight wise than the Blackstar but much much lighter than an actual AC15. I ran this amp through a nearby Egnater cab*. Rock and blues territory is it for this guy. It has 2-EL84s and 2-12AX7s. The 'thick' setting does not seem to respond to the amps EQ but I was told by GC dude that it is not supposed to??? It also has no FX loop and no Footswitch. Also, the all metal head housing is really cool looking (something my pics don't emphasize) but also I can see the tops getting really hot after playing hard and one actually burning their knuckles if one does not cool down. These may be downfalls. Otherwise, I think it is worth the $499.

Egnator Rebel 20
$599
(matching 1x12 cab is $249)*
I was pretty impressed. Decent gain. Very tight and articulate but not enough saturation and a bit harsh. It did have a nice midrange that I enjoyed. It has 2-6V6s, 2-EL84s, and 3-12AX7s. So basically it is designed to 'dial' between US and Brit voicings. I could hear a change when running the dial back and forth but you have to either go slow or wait a bit, it is not immediate. Verdict is still out for me as to if this is a gimmick or not. Something happened lol. Same thing with the variable wattage selector, another cool feature. It supposedly allows you to run between 1 and 20 watts. Again, not sure if this is a gimmick but I could have sworn I 'heard' a change. This amp has an FX loop, Master Volume and a Tight/Bright switch. Overall, I like the amp, but not sure if I'd buy one new for $849 total with cab. If I were to buy just the head, I'd rather have the Night Train or Blackstar head. Additionally, tThere are other amps out there.

Vox, DSL, Blackstar, JCM800 Slash Sig (played before and love)

Blackstar and JCM800 Slash Sig

Vox Night Train

B52 ATX100 head and matching cab
$999
I really liked this animal despite some shortcomings. I've been waiting to play one for a long time I just never got the change. I rec them a lot due to price point and Bulletrocks522 youtube review. The clean channel was very crisp and glassy, not Fenderish, not Marshally, just nice. Maybe Mesa'y. The OD channels can def bring on some br00talz. It is a 100 watt amp after-all. The head is only $599 which I think is a good deal for new. If I found one used with maybe a 212 cab I think it might be worth it. The only pitfalls was that I could not for the life of me find a difference between OD1 and OD2. Additionally, the Gain did not seem to really work until you got it past 12 o'clock. I had the amp volume at 2 o'clock and the gain at 4:30 (almost dimed) and although it sounded great it was not necessarily that loud. If I ran my amp like that I'd have to wear ear plugs and I'm running at 50 watts so. Outside of that - I would have given it 5 stars. Overall I was very impressed with this amp. Edit: It had reverb too which the smaller amps above did not.

Marshall JVM210H
$1899
I know. I know. They are a better value in UK but for this price the amp just does not get it. The cleans are very nice. Extremely nice. But the OD on these amp just does nothing for me. Very artificial imo. I realize these amps are versatile but I'd rather give up versatility than have this crappy drive. It has 4-EL34s and 5 12AX7s, 2 Master Volumes, MIDI, Reverb, and crunch settings for both channels (green, orange, red). Why they have Orange and Red crunch settings on the clean channel is beyond me. I think that is part of the downfall. They tried too hard. Adding all that extra circuitry in there to make this happen just kills the tone imo. The cleans are very nice as I stated but who spends $1899 for 2 channel amp with only great cleans? I've also played the 410 and it is the same story only worse.

B52 and JVM (small amp on floor is the Fender SuperChamp - great amp!)

I'm not going to get into a full review of the DSL but they also had a DSL 201 combo. Same story. Great cleans, iffy disti. The other thing I keep noticing on all of latest Marshall amps is the pots (controls) seem to vary so much from dial to dial. Some are loose and some are tight. Maybe that is the nature of potentiometers but to me it comes across as a QC issue.

Bogner Alchemist 212
$1599
I've played these amps before and to this day I have mixed feelings. At first I hated them. Then I loved them. Then I hated them again. Then I had serious GAS for one. Now I'm not sure. A used Alchemist head with a different cab may be the only way to go. $1599 for a new 212 combo just does not make sense. The good news is the delay, reverb, 20-40w setting, and clean channel all make this amp very appealing. The gain channel is nice too. It has a very modern, compressed, almost thin sounding tho disti to it. Not in a bad way, just different. You would have to play it for several hours with your own guitar to come up with your own conclusion. I would not buy one on-line sight unseen. Very versatile like I said. Jazz, blues, rock, metal, modern, you name it. If it were not for the price I'd give it 4 or 5 stars easy.

Alchemist, Night Train, Egnater 20, and new Egnater Rangemaster 212 i did not play

(continued below)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 14, 2009,
(continued)

Peavey Vypyr 60 and 75.
$450 for 60w 112
I've played these amps many times and got to spend some more time here with recent visit comparing the 60w power tube version side by side with the 75w solid state power version. Hands down the 60w (or 120w head) is the way to go if you can afford the uplift. The harmonics and such are just so much more life like. After playing the 60 and then plugging into the 75 the 75 just seems so sterile and lifeless. However, on a budget $285 or whatever for the 75 is still a good deal. That is why I recommend it over the MGs and Spiders. But, if you can jump to $450, get the 60w. You'll be glad you did. The FX are a bit confusing at first but way more strait forward than a Spider and sound a hell of lot better than the MG. All of them have headphone jacks and USB ports (minus the 15w I think) so those are a big plus in my book. Hell, the 15w version is only $99 so that is good deal too.

Marshall MG4 102FW 100w 212 combo

$549
Sorry. No kudos here. The amp sucks. I played it for a good 15 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. An older guy walked up and complimented me on my tone and asked what amp I was playing etc. I told him I was doing some reviews and that I didn't care for it. Believe me, I tried to coax something good out of it. I suppose the cleans are Ok but that is not that hard to pull off. The disti sounds just like the original MGs. Blah.

oh, almost forgot. I played the new Vox TV

Vox AC4TV 4w 1x10 combo
$249
Cool amp. Very simple. Not the greatest drive tone in the world but worth the $249 if you want a low watt stripped down amp. I can't remember exactly but I think it had 2 knobs. It was EXTREMELY articulate. Almost to a fault. I wouldn't buy this if I was a beginner guitarist. This is for intermediate+ guitarists that want a low watt boutique style Vox amp at a low cost. Light rock is how I would describe its gain but that is to be expected.

I also played the Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKII
$899
I've played it before. It is OK. Tones are decent, drive is 'OK' but it is just a pain in the ass to dial in. Not worth the $899. I'd rather have a Vypyr 60.

Hope you enjoyed. I've updated my 'Amps Played' blog.
What would we do without you, 311?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The night train's thick switch bypasses the EQ, which is why it won't respond in that setting.
Great reviews man. Totally agree on the Vypyr Tube. And for the Alchemist, I seem to prefer the 1X12 to the 2X12 by alot. I'm not sure how it worked out that way seeing as how I typically like Greenbacks better than V30s and the 2X12 config better than the 1X12. The best sound I've gotten out of one though was with the head through a legit Bogner 4X12 with V30s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
nice reviews

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I wish you would have reviewed that Super there though
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Roc8995
The night train's thick switch bypasses the EQ, which is why it won't respond in that setting.

Yeah, that is what I gathered. Not sure why though. Does it bypass the EQ to 'strip' the signal down even more or is there a preconfigured EQ for 'tight'? Didn't make any sense to me.

mmolteratx - yeah, the Alchemist is really a love/hate type amp. I think if it was cheaper I would love it more. I actually like the head better with the Alchemist 212 cab but I didn't do a lot of speaker investigation. With the right cab I bet is kicks ass.

Wes - I've played the SuperChamp plenty of times. It is a great all around amp especially for $320 or whatever it is going for now.
311: I meant the Super REVERB
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

mmolteratx - yeah, the Alchemist is really a love/hate type amp. I think if it was cheaper I would love it more. I actually like the head better with the Alchemist 212 cab but I didn't do a lot of speaker investigation. With the right cab I bet is kicks ass.

It really is. The first time I played it I hated it (the 2X12), then I thought it was awesome when I played the head through the 4X12 and then I tried the head through a Marshall 1936 with Greenbacks and didn't like it again. I was really close to buying it when I played it through the 4X12 but now I'm kind of glad I didn't because there's no way I could move a 4X12 around to gigs in my car.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
didn't you mean 6v6's in the rebel?

EDIT: the "thick" setting on the Night train bypass's the EQ for more gain.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Oct 13, 2009,
Awesome reviews man, although when I played the Vox AC4 I thought it had a pretty sweet distortion and a good amount of it. I played the mini stack (with a Tele w/ soapbars) though, not sure if that would make a difference...

Cheers man
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
the jvm amps dropped in price today. check for pricing online tomorrow.

i sell the night train head for less than $499.

also, we got the haze head/cabs in. while i am not a fan of the built in fx, i do like the actual amp. it isnt an mg with toobz imo. its decent, but there are better options at the price point. coughrebelcough,

cool thread 311.
Thanks Greg!

Even with the price drop the JVMs will still be over-priced in the States imo. No matter what. Always gotta plug your store don't ya? Ha ha jk.

Didn't care for the Haze myself but I know you and plenty of others do.

Some of the amps I wanted to play/review that they had before but didn't have this time were the Haze, Bugera 6262 and 1990, Peavey 3120, and Tourmaster. The latter I didn't care for so much the first time.

I think an important thing I learned on these last 2 trips is that going to an guitar store to play an amp before you buy is one thing. If you have the opportunity, one needs to go several times and play as many amps as possible within your timeframe but give each amp its fair shake.

It is amazing to me how the exact same amp can sound different on a different day even if everything else, like your guitar etc, is the same.

PS: even tho I knew about the Spider Valve's drastic volume changes on channel switching I still forgot to turn it down once and 'accidentally' hit the channel thing and BOOM - big time noise
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 13, 2009,
Sweet Vyper Tube FTMFW!

I really dug the cleans on the Alchemist head that I tried, wasn't too impressed by the distortion channel, but I've since heard clips of others that sounded great so I'd like to give it another chance next time I see one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like the JVM personally, I've only played the 410H though.
I guess to each his own, I don't like he Vypyr tube all that much. Granted, the JVM isn't worth the new price, but I've seen them used for under a grand, and I think that's pretty good. Plus, I've heard glowing reviews of them on all the other forums about the JVM. but I do love the Night Train, and with the coupons you can get, one for $399 get's you a hell of a recording amp and a small gig amp. It's certainly a great value and sounds great, especially with the NT cab with greenbacks.

Nice reviews 311.

EDIT: gregs, what's the rough number of the price drop?
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Thanks Greg!

Even with the price drop the JVMs will still be over-priced in the States imo. No matter what. Always gotta plug your store don't ya? Ha ha jk.

just pointing out the price drop is all. i like the jvm, now the prices are more realistic, and therefor, sellable.

also, I took in a supersonic today used, the guy traded it in on a spider valve 212. we all kinda went.... whhhhaaaaaaatt? reallllllly? mkay....
Quote by gregs1020
I took in a supersonic today used, the guy traded it in on a spider valve 212. we all kinda went.... whhhhaaaaaaatt? reallllllly? mkay....

You are a horrible person.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregs1020
just pointing out the price drop is all. i like the jvm, now the prices are more realistic, and therefor, sellable.

also, I took in a supersonic today used, the guy traded it in on a spider valve 212. we all kinda went.... whhhhaaaaaaatt? reallllllly? mkay....

I was referring to your Night Train price comment

Anyway, good to know on price drop. It's about time. $1899 for a 210 is crazy so we'll see what happens. I still despise the distortion on these amps so even a used one under 1,000 would do nothing for me. It's all personal opinion though (to-thrasher and others)

Maybe the Supersonic dude wants a super versatile amp with lots of effects built in to mess with

Otherwise I ditto the
I loved the AC4TV when I played it. The distortion was definately really loose though, but for $250, you can get a good OD/boost to take care of that very easily before you get into Blackheart prices.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I really liked the Alchemist. I agree that it really is a great sounding, versatile amp, but it is priced quite high. I feel it is a mix of the classic "buying the brand" and the fact that they are made in Germany (I'm pretty sure). Otherwise, great cleans, wide range of usable gain and great tone out of the OD channel. The boost switch gives you instant AC/DC on the clean channel and a tighter, more modern feel on the gain channel. I love the amp, not the price. If I can find a used one, I think it is worth the $1200-1500 that it is priced at.

Great review man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^The Alchemist is made in China.

Bogner is an American company, their "Custom Shop" amps are made in CA. If the Alchemist was made in Germany, it'd most likely cost even more than the USA made ones
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nice reviews 311
I've been looking to try out a night train since they were announced but can't find them anywhere around me. I imagine your right really, most companies will outsource something just because it makes them cheaper to make, they (probably) have to go through the same QC checks so it's not too bad
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Cool reviews. I disagree with your comments on the AC-4's drive however. It may all depend on what guitar you are using and what tone you expect, but I played mine with my Fender Strat with single coils and my old LTD Hybrid with a JB in the bridge and both sounded great clean and cranked. All subjective of course!

I haven't tried the Alchemist but I think it sounds great from hearing other people and reviews. People make too much of it being made in China and by Line 6, when other companies like Vox and Marshall make some of their top amps in the far east . At the price of the Alchemist in Europe at least, it seems like an excellent deal and would be something I would consider if I was gigging.

I liked the Night Train when I tried it, it is a very good amp. Very dynamic to my ears with very easy to reach pleasing tones. I'm not a big fan of the cosmetics of the amp to be brutally honest but that's hardly the point is it?

I think you got it completely right on the Blackstar, everything I thought about it you mentioned. The ISF is apparently best employed when the mids are on 12 o' clock according to something I read by Blackstar. Still warrants 5 stars though, especially at the price.

I found the Egnater Rebel 20 to be the most lacklustre of the amps you've mentioned. Why do I need to twiddle 2 knobs for the power scaling to work??? My amp has a dedicated power scaling knob that requires no f*cking about. Tone wise, it was okay, nothing I haven't heard before, and nothing very impressive. The tube mix is okay but it either shows that (a) the difference in tone between a 6V6 and an EL84 is in fact neglible (at least to my ears) or (b) that it is a gimmick. If I didn't need power scaling I would definitely pick the Blackstar over this over priced pile of meh any day of the week.

I'm intrigued by the Vypyr Tube but at present, there are none loocally I can try. In terms of how it feels, and sounds, if yuou were blindfolded, could you mistake it for a tube amp?

And the MG4 - I heard a guy playing it and thought it sounded okay, but it was more his technique that gave it any finesse. Technique is in the fingers, not tone. Still, I think it sounded a bit better than what I've heard before, but as I refuse to try one, I would not be able to give an opinion.
Quote by MatrixClaw
^The Alchemist is made in China.

Bogner is an American company, their "Custom Shop" amps are made in CA. If the Alchemist was made in Germany, it'd most likely cost even more than the USA made ones

Damn....oh well. My excuse is.........

*runs*
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sweet reviews 311.

I agree with the Alchemist statement, overpriced for what the amp that it is, but it sounds good. It's no Shiva, but it's cool none-the-less. Haven't tried the B-52 yet. I dislike the JVM too, personally. Couldn't get a useable sound out of it. Haven't tried an HT-5, but I think that it's a over-hyped item, but it's great for bedroom rockers. I liked the Rebel 20 and Night Train, but I still like my Tiny Terror more.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Thanks Greg!

Didn't care for the Haze myself but I know you and plenty of others do.

Some of the amps I wanted to play/review that they had before but didn't have this time were the Haze, Bugera 6262 and 1990, Peavey 3120, and Tourmaster. The latter I didn't care for so much the first time.

I think an important thing I learned on these last 2 trips is that going to an guitar store to play an amp before you buy is one thing. If you have the opportunity, one needs to go several times and play as many amps as possible within your timeframe but give each amp its fair shake.

It is amazing to me how the exact same amp can sound different on a different day even if everything else, like your guitar etc, is the same.

PS: even tho I knew about the Spider Valve's drastic volume changes on channel switching I still forgot to turn it down once and 'accidentally' hit the channel thing and BOOM - big time noise

totally agree. Brands like Marshall think that they can survive because of they're fame but i reckon at some point their gonna have to realize that they won't make money with their prices so high. New brands are making much better amps at lower prices and even if one has the money to spend there are far better options than anything marshall has now.

I'd love to go try out amps but i'm kind of a shy person so i hate asking to try all that stuff knowing im not going to buy anything. I haven't been in a while though, the last time i went i think i tried a Single Rectifier, it was good but back then i was a lot more shy about my playing so i kept the volume at like 0.25 so it didn't sound as good as possible.

Also was it just me or do you think that the HT-5 doesn't work well with single coils? When i use my coil taps on my Schecter i can never get a crunchy sound out of it. It cuts mids and gain way too much which is strange considering the SD JB in the bridge is the exact opposite. With the singles it always comes out muddy, almost like a fuzz pedal.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Thanks for the great review 311. I'm gonna have to try out that Vox AC4 one of these days.
Nice one man; amazing reviews! Glad you took the time to do them
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by MatrixClaw

You are a horrible person.

I have my days. I was "future selling".

the supersonic that is.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Maybe the Supersonic dude wants a super versatile amp with lots of effects built in to mess with

That was it exactly, he wanted the effects. Still, I'd of probably opted for a tonelab but
Quote by LaidBack
Damn....oh well. My excuse is.........

*runs*

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by TOMMYB22
totally agree. Brands like Marshall think that they can survive because of they're fame but i reckon at some point their gonna have to realize that they won't make money with their prices so high. New brands are making much better amps at lower prices and even if one has the money to spend there are far better options than anything marshall has now.

The new MA series looks very promising, as does the Class 5. I loved the Haze combo I tried too, but the Haze is stricken with a stigma.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I got tired of the Alchemist real quick..........it sounded great. But the 1x12 Combo Rattled and buzzed so bad.
Good reviews, very insightful.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
LaidBack, SimplyBen, greggybhoy, AJS19, fly135, LezPaulEpiphone, and ch0.

Thanks. I had fun doing it.

I'm surprised no one has flamed me yet on my JVM/DSL comments

The cool thing is we all have different opinions. If we all had the same opinion, this place would be awefully boring if you think about it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm surprised no has flamed me yet on my JVM/DSL comments

They ain't your flavor.

I dig on the DSL plus cab new at $1200.
Page 1 of 2