title says it all pretty much. ive had my ac4 for a few months now and it sounded pretty good out of the box but i decided to swap the tubes the other day for shnits and giggles. i pulled the stock sovteks and loaded it up with jj's. i noticed off the bat that there was just a tad more hair on the notes than there usually was at cleaner settings, there seems to be a little less headroom if you will. the up side though is now it sounds even better when i turn it up, not that it didnt sound good before, it just sounds a little richer now. overall i like the way the jj's sound, but im going to try putting a 5751 in the preamp and see what that does. anyways just thought i'd share.

if any body else has swapped out the tubes in there ac4 please let me know what your outcome was
Guitars:
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/bigsby

Effects:
Boss tuner
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
Hot Rod Deville 410+orange ppc212ob
I've looked into swapping the valves a few times but haven't done it yet. Good to hear from someone who has though, wouldn't mind lowering the headroom a bit, on 4 watts it takes a bit of volume to breakup.

How does your Rat sound with it by the way? Considering getting one in the near future.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 13, 2009,
jj el84 and a tungsol 12ax7 was fine, not that different.
I will use them when the stock tubes need replacing.

But changing from the 10" to 12" speaker was a big deal.
Man I want to try this amp....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i havent tried the rat with it yet but my big muff sounds great through it so i imagine that the rat will also sound pretty good through it. ill try it out tomorrow and get back to you
Guitars:
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/bigsby

Effects:
Boss tuner
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
Hot Rod Deville 410+orange ppc212ob
Thanks, I actually had a Russian Big Muff but ended up trading it away. Sounded great but wasn't for me at the time.