Howdy. I'm not really looking to buy one just yet, I'm just curious to see which amp is the most versatile for various genres without spending an incredibly huge ammount.

So... To clear this up, I am looking to buy one of said amps, just... not necessarily right now lol. I'm like... totally broke right now. So yeah.

But anyway, I realize that eventually I will need more than one amp anyway, I'm just curious to see which is most versatile and accurate for various genres, like I said. Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

mesa lonestar will go from anything clean to pretty hard rock.
mesa roadking will almost literally do anything.
marshall jvm (if your one of the people that like it) is very versatile.
if your not looking to play metal at all, than your options are much more diverse (and often cheaper) for one single versatile amp than if you just want to go to hard rock territory.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Boogie Mark V. retails right at 1999.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
budget?
genres?
new or used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Well for budget, for now, lets just draw no limits. ... That beind said, dont recommend me an 8,000 dollar amp either (Not sure if thats even realistic, but you get my point) Couple thousand at the most?

Genres, lots of rock. Anything from soft-ish alt rock to hard rock, everything in between. And, I also notice lots of people have different ideas of metal... My idea of metal is Old Metallica, things like that. I dont consider these new pricks who will drop to b and pound away mindlessly 'metal'. So yeah..

Doesnt matter whether its new or used, I suppose. I mean, theoretically, the essential things that could be wrong with a used amp can be repaired or replaced.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

I'll assume that $2,000 is a decent amount to pay for an amp. And if that's what the case I recommend these:

Engl Powerball
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie Road King
Randall RM100

Just for the record, although the amp I'm about to mention is very pricey, I've heard that it's very versatile and even looking at it gives the impression. It's Engl's Special Edition head worth around $4,000.
Last edited by punker_7970 at Oct 13, 2009,
How about an Ax-Fx and a used 2:90:2? Or a Peavey 50/50 or other tube power amp of that type?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Fender Supersonic. You can get damn near any tone you might want. New it's about $1,200
Harlington - Indie/Progressive/Hard Rock

Live Rig:
Gibson SG
Boss RT-20 Rotary Pedal
Fender Supersonic
Hughes and Kettner Tri-Amp
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Axe fx and a power amp
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Lol okay all of this is great. The problem is, I really... dont know much about amps. Like, with stratman's post, Umm.... Those would be great I guess.. I'd have to try them because I know nothing about them. Or, amps in general really. Except for the fact that tubes/valves are better than solid states.

Lol, I'm sorry about that, I mean I guess thats kinda my bad, but its the truth. I dont just wanna say "Sure sure" and not know what I'm saying sure about lol.

peavey vypyr 120/60watt tube head.
this is a modelling amplifier with 12 amp model and clean and dirty channel on all, it also has 21 additional effects and a built in tuner and looper all controllable by foot switch, the tone i absolutely perfect as its taking software made to replicate tube amps and then running it with tubes so the tone seems more like tube amps than most tube amps. its plenty loud, not too expensive at all. and when played through the right cab, i.e the pureness of the tone is shocking.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
peavey vypyr 120/60watt tube head.
this is a modelling amplifier with 12 amp model and clean and dirty channel on all, it also has 21 additional effects and a built in tuner and looper all controllable by foot switch, the tone i absolutely perfect as its taking software made to replicate tube amps and then running it with tubes so the tone seems more like tube amps than most tube amps. its plenty loud, not too expensive at all. and when played through the right cab, i.e the pureness of the tone is shocking.

Not really, else we would all want vypyrs instead of the real thing.

Look around to know a bit about tube types, I'd say a 2 el84 or 1 el34 output section would do tone without having way too much headroom for small spaces (if looking in newer amp models). Vintage amps are not bad at all if they work in the first place, get it for less & use the spare money to tune it up at a tech's, one thing to note: in vintage look for 2 el34 output sections, they're powerful as hell and most still-running amps are rugged tanks.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Most versatile amp ever would probably be an Axe-FX.

I say go for a Soldano SLO-100, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Randall MTS amp is probably the most versatile amp out there. If you want versatile, that is the amp to look at. You have about 20 different stock preamp modules to choose from, with more coming, as well as a plethora of mods that can make the modules sound unbelievably better. There are several major modder's, but if you know a thing or two about electronics and amps, you can do it yourself, although it would probably be easier to just send it to someone.

Each preamp module has two preamp tubes, while the amp itself has three and two to four power tubes (depending on the model). The tube bias section that these amps have makes changing and biasing tubes extremely easy. This allows you to put almost any set of power tubes you want in the amp.

Here is a thread make a while back that will give you some more info on the amps. Check out the link in post #4 for clips of several of the stock modules; this helped me a lot in deciding what i liked and didn't like. There are also several vids on youtube that might be useful. Also check out the list of modders in post #8....i strongly suggest you check out Salvation's soundclips page....his mod's are incredible. Also check out Pete Turley's Gigamods page and his youtube vids. I have his 1087 mod and it puts out the best tone i have ever heard come out of an amp. It is perfect for heavy downtuned metal; the lower and heavier, the better. I will have a clip/vid up asap. Also check out my post on the second page (post #30) if you want more info on tubes/wattages/bias levels; I'm pretty sure it is all correct.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188551

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Oct 13, 2009,
Quote by Gäbe

Look around to know a bit about tube types, I'd say a 2 el84 or 1 el34 output section would do tone without having way too much headroom for small spaces (if looking in newer amp models). Vintage amps are not bad at all if they work in the first place, get it for less & use the spare money to tune it up at a tech's, one thing to note: in vintage look for 2 el34 output sections, they're powerful as hell and most still-running amps are rugged tanks.

its is tube read my damn post before you make a condescending comment about it.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by punker_7970
I'll assume that $2,000 is a decent amount to pay for an amp. And if that's what the case I recommend these:

Engl Blackmore
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie Road King
Randall RM100 (which can basically be your favorite channels of any of the aforementioned amps at once)

Just for the record, although the amp I'm about to mention is very pricey, I've heard that it's very versatile and even looking at it gives the impression. It's Engl's Special Edition head worth around $4,000.

Fixed :P And the Special Edition is the most versatile amp ENGL makes.

But my vote goes to the Randall RM100.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'd say Mark V. It really did just about everything I tried to get out of it.

I haven't tried it, but the Randall MTS looks really sweet and versatile.
Considering you have no money know and I'm assuming you have a very small cash flow, a couple thousand is going to take forever. Give us a real budget and you'll get real answers. Until then, my suggestion is a used Line 6 Vetta (see sig).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
mesa mark v is the most versatile amp ive ever used, i vote mark v
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Gäbe
Most people don't know why they want the amp they want, except other people telling them what to get. Why do you think there are so many threads asking what amp to get. Ever notice that in most of those threads the poster doesn't even mention any amp he has in mind. They just want to be told what amp to get.
Quote by fly135
Most people don't know why they want the amp they want, except other people telling them what to get. Why do you think there are so many threads asking what amp to get. Ever notice that in most of those threads the poster doesn't even mention any amp he has in mind. They just want to be told what amp to get.

Agreed.

I've been suggesting the Vypyr Tube ever since I tried one out though, they sound great IMO. Unfortunately the rhythm guitarist in the band I play drums was going to choose between a Vypyr 60 with the floorboard for $350, a Carvin x100b halfstack for $450 or a Marshall JCM900 combo for $400... and he decided that he just wanted to keep his Line 6 Spider and still continue to make my ears hurt

He better at least buy a PA dammit
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com