for those who listen to bands like algernon cadwallader, super tennis, or street smart cyclist, does anyone know how to achieve the same "mood" that those bands do? this is mostly about the guitar, i'm aware what the bass and drums should sound like, but there's something about the notes they play on the guitar that make it sound so awesome. I know of course they use the major scale, so this isn't really a "what scale does this band play so i can sound like them hurr durr" question, it's more of a "how do these bands use the major scale to give it a different sound from other music that uses the major scale". i'm interested because i really want to start a band with the same sound, but everything i make up comes out as a maps & atlases style sound, which definitely isn't bad but it's not really what i want to play with a full band.
oh, also try to keep it in standard please! i know about open tunings but i really don't feel like getting used to a totally different style of tuning when i'm sure i can get the sound i'm looking for using standard tuning
thanks!
Last edited by keganonthedunes at Oct 13, 2009,
If you know that they use the major scale then surely that will help you transcribe some of their work. I don't know these bands, but do they normally have one guitarist, or two? If two, do they have a strict rythmn and lead i.e. chords with melody. Do they harmonise? If they do, what intervals do they tend to harmonise in. If they only have one guitar is it riff based, or just chords? Is there any particular intervals or chord progressions that they use more than others? Also, what effects do they use?

There are just a few questions that might help you start to get your head around their sound, of course you'll probably have to begin transcribing if you can. You could request a tab in the tab forum if you don't feel confident transcribing (however I'd recommend you give it a go, it'll only make you a better musician)
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Jul 30, 2015,
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If you know that they use the major scale then surely that will help you transcribe some of their work. I don't know these bands, but do they normally have one guitarist, or two? If two, do they have a strict rythmn and lead i.e. chords with melody. Do they harmonise? If they do, what intervals do they tend to harmonise in. If they only have one guitar is it riff based, or just chords? Is there any particular intervals or chord progressions that they use more than others? Also, what effects do they use?

There are just a few questions that might help you start to get your head around there sound, of course you'll probably have to begin transcribing if you can. You could request a tab in the tab forum if you don't feel confident transcribing (however I'd recommend you give it a go, it'll only make you a better musician)

they normally have two guitarists. they don't have strict rhythm and lead at all. they both play twinkly stuff in the same key and it sounds good. they harmonize but i have no clue what intervals they harmonize in. I don't know what chord progressions they use for sure but from what i hear they just play stuff in a key while the bass hits a lot of firsts, fourths, and fifths. they use no effects, usually either just clean electric guitar tone or they'll have a little bit of crunch but you can't really tell.

can you give us a youtube link to a song that very clearly demonstrates the sound you are looking for?

maybe we can help you analyse it.

a great example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jar0k_52IVw
Quote by keganonthedunes
they normally have two guitarists. they don't have strict rhythm and lead at all. they both play twinkly stuff in the same key and it sounds good. they harmonize but i have no clue what intervals they harmonize in. I don't know what chord progressions they use for sure but from what i hear they just play stuff in a key while the bass hits a lot of firsts, fourths, and fifths. they use no effects, usually either just clean electric guitar tone or they'll have a little bit of crunch but you can't really tell.

a great example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jar0k_52IVw

In the vid you gave us there was a bit of chorus on the start, then some reverb was added as the second guitarist came in, but not so much you noticed it considerably. You really don't need to have a lot of reverb or chorus. As you said, they still sounded 'clean'.

They emphasised what I think was a 6th? in the chord.. kind of hamering it on.

They tend to use the top end of the guitar, which makes for some nice very NON-muddy voicings. Kind of like "Domino" by... ahh I forget. But he uses just two chords in the verse, but comes up with a lot of voicings.

They seem to split the guitars so that one is on the chords (though still emphasising any extensions with hammers or slides) the other is playing arpeggios with a few inversions, sometimes missing the root, but with maybe a few added extensions.
can't hear it very well.. but guitars seem to be playing chords then #9 and #4 on top.

and arpegios like

----------0------
------0-------0--
----0--0---0----
--0------------0-

if that were the chord..

can't hear much. I could only really do the other song because it was similar to a song I had to play for school.

transcribe it, get the tab. analyse it that way. its the easiest way.
Most of this stuff seems to be based on effects, the major scale, and a careful use of dissonance.
i don't know why i feel so dry
The only thing i can think of to get more in that line of sound is changing the tuning. Trust me, I've tried learning this type of stuff in standard and it gets to be annoying when you're playing faster material. It's doable to learn it in standard, but I say it's easier just to do it in alternate tunings. Algernon plays in DAEAEC#e. As for SSC, I don't really know. But play around with different more open tunings. Its not very hard to learn them, and it really does free you up as far as composition. As far as effects go, I don't know too many bands like that that even use effects at all. I know when I saw Algernon live, Joe just plugged straight into a marshall cab.