I recently found out that if turned up over halfway my amp will make a hissing noise, like if i didn't have a guitar plugged in. I've tried a new cord, and it made no difference. i have a line six spider jam. any help would be appreciated.
badly shielded pickups? try lowering the volume on your guitar. If that fixes the hiss, then it could be your pickups. It's an easy fix though, waxing your pickups. Costs about 20€ if you let someone do it, probably less if you do it yourself.
Quote by skralan
badly shielded pickups? try lowering the volume on your guitar. If that fixes the hiss, then it could be your pickups. It's an easy fix though, waxing your pickups. Costs about 20€ if you let someone do it, probably less if you do it yourself.

It still does it when his guitar is unplugged so i'd say the power issue could be the problem. My dad's house has the same problem dodgy wiring causes really excess noise in my amps
The hissing is just white noise in all probability, caused by the random movement of molecules in the hundreds of components in your amp. They all do it but some are worse than others. Modelling amps are often particularly noisy.
what amp is it?

without knowing your answer to the above question, i say the following; however, my answer is subject to change based on yours.

often, with bad power, you'll be able to hear the cycle. if you don't my guess is amp noise. that's what happens when you crank it, and i'll take a stab in the dark that your gain is pegged, too. gate the loop or turn down the gain... or both.

if you do hear it turn over (white noise that seems to go up and down in intensity), then you, my friend, have bad power, not unlike most of the world. look into a conditioner or (a cheaper option) a "HumX."