I see lots of singing exercises and breathing techniques. These are all cool, but what I want to do right now is simple...hit the correct notes so I can make a few passable recordings with my guitar. I'm trying to sing Alkaline Trio songs because it seems like Matt Skiba fits my range, but I simply can't sing the correct notes. I can't practice anything because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So what does a complete beginner do to start singing
The singing exercises will help you hit the notes. The breathing exercises will help you sustain the notes and make them clearer.

Can you be more specific as to why you can't hit the note? Are you singing the wrong note?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The singing exercises will help you hit the notes. The breathing exercises will help you sustain the notes and make them clearer.

Can you be more specific as to why you can't hit the note? Are you singing the wrong note?

It sounds like it. I'm singing along to "Bleeder" by Alkaline Trio and the first line, which should be easy for me, just sounds bad when I sing it. And I can't seem to find the right note. I confirmed it when I recorded myself singing on my iPhone. It's like there's a fundamental problem with what I'm doing. Maybe I will run through the exercises for a few weeks and see if I improve?
Try singing along with a finger in one of your ears. This works for me, since I usually don't hear what pitch i'm singing otherwise.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Take a look at the stickies, they can help you figure out the proper way to breathe and sing. They give you directions that should be easy enough for you to tell if you are doing it wrong. (EG: Pain in throat after a short amount of time singing)

Now that we have that out of the way, here is a word that can be applied to anything you want to get better at.

Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

Also, when it comes to finding the right note. Guess what that takes?

Practice.

I found my keyboard actually REALLY helps me to find a note compared to anything (save a piano...) because I can play the note with just one finger, giving all the rest of my attention to hitting the right note, and it's easier for me to here when the pitch lines up.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Of course, you can also use your guitar to check/match pitches. One thing I find somewhat advantageous about that is you can also feel the vibrations coming through the body of the guitar while you play (if you're using an acoustic). It somehow makes it easier to match the pitches and sing in tune.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.