i've always dreamt about starting my own record company. i am korean american, i grew in california and i was exposed to all kinds of music from classical to a lot of underground stuff too. right now, i'm currently studying here in korea as a university student and i've decided to maybe start a record company here. the 3 major record labels here are pop, rap, and r&b focused.. rock bands here rarely succeed maybe due to cultural reasons but i also think its because of the limitations. majority of young adults here only know mainstream rock and crap.. i want to change this perspective in korea by starting my own record company.
but i was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about starting one. my friends here tell me it'll be really hard because its mostly buisness oriented than music, which i highly agree. so anyone suggestions and tips would be great!
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Quote by sketchy z
, $

ah.. what makes the world go around hahaha
i'll have to take some loans in the start i think
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Before you even begin to I suggest you do some consulting to figure out how much money you're going to need, what staff you will need, etc just to make sure you know what you're getting into.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
its gunna be tough at first. no one wants to be signed to an unknown label to my knowledge(which is small lol)
You'll need a lot of money, and a lot of investors if you can't put that money upfront.

These days, a loan from the bank is quite hard to get.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
As a music business major, I can tell you that music has nothing to do with starting a record label. You should not look at starting a record label as something musical, but rather as an entrepreneur of a business.

Things you are going to need:
-capital: start-up money to fund all of your costs.
-lawyer: to take care of licensing and publishing, which are extremely important.
-managers/partner: to help you manage the business.
-business plan: a crucial organizational packet that will clearly state what you intend to do and how you are going to get there.

You need to take at least an intermediate business class and introductory copyright law course before taking initiatives.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It seems lik eit'd be ccol to do, but I'm not sure I could ever pull it off .
Idk anything about business other than how to effectively market but it sounds like a badass idea and unlike most people who talk of starting their own company, your idea actually sounds like it could actually work.

Best of luck to you bro.

Also, if you need any marketing advice, I Aced advanced marketing in high school. I can help some.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Last edited by Fenderhippie69 at Oct 14, 2009,
I would definetly do some research at current labels and the reasons why they are loosing so much money. I am a freshman and in my intro to entrepeneurship we are doing a business plan for a final project. I am doing a label as well, while it is an intro course and my plan is very very basic, i have read of the decline of the big label.
thanks everyone for your words and wisdom i highly appreicate it.
i've actually taken a course in business management here in university and it was a bit helpful but i didn't learn the things that i expected to learn.
can anyone give me an estimate as to how much i might need in the beginning?
i can't really draw an amount in my head
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
I would start off a promotions and possibly management business before branching into record label. That way, you can help create a market and capital, getting bands gigs and helping to sell their merchandise. Once you get your legal and business head on a bit more, then think about moving into the label thing.
Satch did it. Why can't we!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Put an elephant in your logo. Everyone likes elephants.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I would start off a promotions and possibly management business before branching into record label. That way, you can help create a market and capital, getting bands gigs and helping to sell their merchandise. Once you get your legal and business head on a bit more, then think about moving into the label thing.

This. All of this.
hello
^What he quoted looks very good. But why not start a rehearsal studio anyway. You're gonna need one eventually, and it's always good to have your own

Start a small recording/rehearsal studio.

Yes, that is different to record company.
The record studio my band uses has been growing quite quickly recently.
It went from 1 room (for rehearsal and recording, so you can imagine what kind of a nightmare it was to book the place...) to about 6-8 rooms, each room is slightly bigger than the one before, and they go up in price as they get bigger.
They are now thinking about starting a record company once they get enough money from the new building.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
Put an elephant in your logo. Everyone likes elephants.

Oh, this too.
hello
[quote="osXtiger
Start a small recording/rehearsal studio.

Yes, that is different to record company.
The record studio my band uses has been growing quite quickly recently.
It went from 1 room (for rehearsal and recording, so you can imagine what kind of a nightmare it was to book the place...) to about 6-8 rooms, each room is slightly bigger than the one before, and they go up in price as they get bigger.
They are now thinking about starting a record company once they get enough money from the new building.
there are a lot of recording/rehearsal studios here in South Korea, so I'm not sure just how successful I will be with this idea.
i've noticed somewhat of a trend here in South Korea record companies. The owners of a few major companies were popstars at some point. So I assume they used the money they earned and started a record company.
man this whole money thing is a real bitch...
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
If you do start this business up, please, for the love of god: Learn to Spell and CAPITALISE correctly, Documents with errors make me cringe.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.