hi, im a pedal noob, and i want to know, how to set up my overdrivepedal properly, i've been told to run it through my lead channel with the drives turned down. but i was talking to my guitar twacher nd he said if i run it through my lead channel (on my 6505+) then itll almost like cancel each other out nd just sound like ****?

can anybody give me a heads up on what to do please
No offense, but your guitar teacher doesn't know what he's talking about.

Set the drive to 0, volume to 10, tone set to taste. Run it over your lead channel to tighten it up and add a little more oomph.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
a good way of finding things out is experimenting, try both out and see who's right.

What happens when you run your guitar through the overdrive channel is that is turns the output signal of your guitar (it's voltage) from a sine wave signal (the nice, round headed wave that you see in most drawings of waves) to a sine wave with a more messed up, staggered top (imagine a hill with a smooth top, then imagine a bunch of bulldozers ripped up the dirt on top of it, that's what it looks like). This produces the sound effect of distortion, or overdrive crunchiness. The trouble is, the overdrive channel on an amp is specifically designed so that this messing up of the signal keeps your tone and your equalization in check, and isn't all over the place. That's why you can still get a responsive, melodic sound when you are distorted.

When you run an overdrive pedal through an already distorted signal, the overdrive pedal was not specifically designed for that amp, and was designed to convert a sine wave into a distorted signal, hence, you will get a much different response when you play and when you mess with the EQ. It's not necessarily a worse response, it might sound a bit muddier and be stranger to manipulate, but it's all what you prefer, listen to both and see what you like.
Quote by Plexi81
it might sound a bit muddier

Adding an OD to your amp on the distortion channel in the way I described will, 99% of the time, make your tone clearer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Adding an OD to your amp on the distortion channel in the way I described will, 99% of the time, make your tone clearer.

Hence the "might". And that's probably because you lowered the drive to 0, lol.
Quote by Plexi81
Hence the "might". And that's probably because you lowered the drive to 0, lol.

Exactly, you are boosting the signal, not adding external distortion so to speak

The Drive knob is for when you want to use it as a standalone pedal on the clean channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
A clever tactic. A school mate used to take advantage of pedal boosting for his 30 watt peavy since it was never loud enough (didn't play with a PA and the drummer was ridiculous), but he still used some drive.

Does it really completely bypass? I've gotta try that sometime.
Quote by Plexi81
A clever tactic. A school mate used to take advantage of pedal boosting for his 30 watt peavy since it was never loud enough (didn't play with a PA and the drummer was ridiculous), but he still used some drive.

Does it really completely bypass? I've gotta try that sometime.

It will add some dirty to the sound because it's pushing the signal harder, but for the most part it will tighten up the sound and add some more girth to it. Make it more saturated. It will produce a more natural "overdriven" sound than running the drive higher over the distortion channel (which will ultimately make the tone muddy if you put in too much drive).

It's not completely transparent though, not at all. Most overdrives will boost your mids (which is why a lot of people use them for solos, to help cut through even more), but there are clean boost pedals specifically designed to retain the sound before you kick it in, just adding a little more saturation from the increased signal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
okay... then why get.. say a maxon OD9 or 808 if all your doing is boosting the signal really? like is it wasting money on spending your money on something like that if your not really gunna use many of the feature if your keepin the drive at 0?
you dont have to keep the drive at 0 .. do whatever you want with it haha .. if you want more of a punch on your low end then use it as a boost if you want more distortion then use the OD knob up to you enjoy
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808