so, thats my seminar topic.

i gotta disscuss it in front of my class in a few days using texts as evidence

im using
novel - Triage by Scott Anderson
Film - Jarhead By Sam Mendez
im only using them cause we studied them in class this year.

after i disscuss these i gotta make it relevant to the class so ill talk to the class and show them how they are aswel and all that.

Im practically done i was just wondering if the pit would have any good points i'd like to add?
So yeah! does anything spring to mind?
Anything quite recent i could use as an example?
Lord of the Flies, not recent but it sort of ties in with the whole theme of kids being taken out of society and becoming animals.
Lord of flies? i'l have a look at it now.

thanks man
Last edited by Tster at Oct 14, 2009,
Fight Club.

I don't really understand the thread, but I heard the words "consumers", "products" and "society" in that film a lot.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Ok, so basically humans are born as blank slates and rely on natural instincts which govern their actions. Society molds babies into "decent" humans with general morals. You can also sort of tie religion into it by saying that a society is based off religion I guess.

Sources:What I learnt in year 9 english

EDIT:
Quote by briusgir
Hello everybody!
I am a new member in this forum.I love it so much .
I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :
How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?
Thank a lot!

Lolwatspam.
Last edited by Hybrid_Xer0 at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by briusgir
Hello everybody!
I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :
Thank a lot!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by briusgir
Hello everybody!
Thank a lot!

WTF? Troll?
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
Ok, so basically humans are born as blank slates and rely on natural instincts which govern their actions. Society molds babies into "decent" humans with general morals. You can also sort of tie religion into it by saying that a society is based off religion I guess.

Sources:What I learnt in year 9 english

EDIT:

Lolwatspam.

hahaha! thanks man! im actually gonna use that blank slates bit i think that'd be a pretty good point to bring up/ try to explian. itl back up my other points aswel
American Psycho

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Tster
hahaha! thanks man! im actually gonna use that blank slates bit i think that'd be a pretty good point to bring up/ try to explian. itl back up my other points aswel

Quote by skaterskagg1
This.

Forget Fight Club.

for any particular reason?
Quote by Tster
for any particular reason?

The main character is the perfect example of being a product of the society he's living in. There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman.
Uhm is this nature versus nurture? You could argue even humanity is undefined by using feral children as the subject of argument.
Of course study different cultures and civilisations...
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Oct 14, 2009,
What's there to argue about...? We obviously are. Wtf do you people think, we're a product of aliens or something?!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Cultural differences would probably be a good thing to bring up because it's cultural differences that make societies different, and interestingly, cultural differences are not just a human thing. Many animals display examples of cultural differences.
Take chimps for example, one group of chimps may open nuts with a rock while another seperate group may prefer to use a log, this is essentially a cultural difference caused by what young chimps learn off the older chimps in the group.

Here's an example of cultural change within groups of Macaque monkeys.
Scientists studying a species of Macaque that lives near the sea started feeding them sweet potatoes, which they washed in the sea to get the sand off before eating, possibly because they also liked the salty taste it gives them, then they gave them rice, but the rice became mixed with the sand and the monotony of picking out individual grains and washing them was causing them to give up trying and it all became too much for one elderly female who lost her temper and picked up a handful of rice and sand and started throwing it around. Some landed in the water and another younger Macaque noticed that the rice floated and scooped it up and ate it. So then the female, threw another handful into the water and quicky got a decent amount of salty tasting rice to eat without the monotony of having to seperate each grain individualy. Pretty soon, the rest of the troop caught on to this new discovery and they were all doing it, yet when the same experiment was carried out on another troop of Macaques, the accident never happened, so the discovery was never made and eventualy members of this group either just ate a few grains of rice or ignored it, regarding it as too much effort for too little reward, (which they learned from experience) so we are left with two groups of the same species of Macaque but with a cultural difference when it comes to eating rice.
One group instantly throws it into the water, the other largly ignores the rice, so in their particular case, the accidental discovery will probably never be made.

Now, imagine that that rice, rather than being something that was provided by the scientists, was a naturaly occuring resource. One group has discovered a way of taking advantage of that recource while the other did not, so it has effectively added a food source that might not have otherwise been available to them. In a time of famine, that can make all the difference to a life or death situation, where other groups die of starvation, this group may survive, passing on their genes and culture on to the next generation, so cultural differences can also possibly effect evolution.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by briusgir
Hello everybody!
Thank a lot!

You can't.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Here's how you demonstrate outside influence on your personality.
1. Show your class the Pit
2. Present your teacher with a Dick in a Box
3. Rape
4. Get top marks.