ok so here's the deal i have a roland cube 30 and the boss me50 pedal - i need to change things cause i'm getting bored with the sounds and i'm not happy with the me50 at all.

so i was thinking do i go for a new amp such as the spider iv 75 with its fbv foot controller? or do i simply change the boss me50 for a new effects board?

bear in mind that i will only be practice-playing at home...what would you do?
for the love of god DO NOT GET THE SPIDER!!!!!1

your current amp is way better!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The cube is an okay practice amp IMO but what kind of tones are you looking for? You could probably get a Blackstar HT-5 or something along those lines and use it for home practice.
Get an amp first, then you know what you want the effects to do.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

do you really need all those effects for home practicing? or is it just too boring for you to play the roland cube on its own?
Maybe you should get a small tube amp like the Blackstar HT-5, or if you dont play harder things maybe a Vox AC 4 ...
i basically do not need all those effects, and that's why i find the me50 a bit useless for me. i need a few simple channels: metal, warm blues tones, a nice clean channel and maybe something resembling acoustic.

the problem i have is i cannot play loud where i live so i need to get these sounds at low volumes.

the reason i thought of the spider iv is because it does have 4 customizable channels ready at-hand...however i do also worry that the 75watt will be loud and will not have good tones at low volumes.

how about the Vox VT30??
Last edited by design8r at Oct 14, 2009,
For what you want go with the Blackstar HT-5, Vox AC4 or wait for a Marshall Class V. Depending on what type of dirt you want. Keep the ME50 and experiment with it once you get to know the amp without effects. Then you'll know what effects you may want to buy. I would recommend dedicated pedals over any multi, but you have the multi so use it to find what pedals you may want down the road.
does anyone have any thought on the Vox Valvatronix VT30? it has 4 channels and an attenuator! i think im gonna go try it out
the vox ac4 can be switched down from 4 watt to 1/4 watt and 1watt so you can crank it without any neighbourhood wars. but maybe its not hard enough for you. the tone is orgasmic though
sell it all and get a tube amp such as a blackstar ht-5 and then get some good stompboxes, pick one at a time and build yourself a nice pedalbaord slowly, multi effects units never sound as good as individual stompboxes...and the crap digital stuff they put in modeling amps such as spiders and stuff are not worth it in my opinion, they just dont sound good and it wouldnt be a step up from your current setup
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by design8r
ok i will def. look into the blackstar does it have an attenuator?

No, it is 5w, so it isn't insanely loud. If you want an attenuator, go with the Vox AC4, it has a power attenuator.
I've heard nice things about the AC4!

But please, don't buy a spider!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by design8r
i basically do not need all those effects, and that's why i find the me50 a bit useless for me. i need a few simple channels: metal, warm blues tones, a nice clean channel and maybe something resembling acoustic.

the problem i have is i cannot play loud where i live so i need to get these sounds at low volumes.

the reason i thought of the spider iv is because it does have 4 customizable channels ready at-hand...however i do also worry that the 75watt will be loud and will not have good tones at low volumes.

how about the Vox VT30??

It just won't have good tones. I would definitely recommend the Blackstar, I tried one again today and fell back in love with it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

ok you guys have put me off the spider completely, i will try the blackstar but i will also try to the vt30 as it has many more effects and will save me from buying extra things...
What styles of music do you play, what is your budget, are you willing to go used? Answer those and I think we might make some more progress
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Those guys have recommended the right stuff, just don't but a Spider.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
i play mostly rock/blues warm tones, some acoustic stuff and of course if in the mood i will play metal (machine head / seps / down / pantera...you know chuggy stuff). but i'm more interested in mellow and warm tones. i guess my budget is upto 500 euros and i'd prefer to buy new.

i would ideally like a simple setup so i dont want to face 15 different pedals and effects etc...that's why i'm thinking of the VT30 cause its got a lot more to offer in terms of channels/effects. but the blackstar is very tempting and its tube amp...i am open to any ideas though.

thx!
If you're playing a wide variety of styles and only need tha mp for home practice then I would go for a VT30 as opposed to a low watttage valve amp. Plenty of effects to play with, loads of amp models for a variety of sound and a headphone jack for late night practice.

But thats just my opinion
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
i would go with an amp first, and i think the tone of the peavey bass system amps are pretty good.

but thats just my opinion.

by the way i havent played all that many amps, and i am partialy basing the quality of the tone off my crapy little 15 wat traynor.
Last edited by tycominime at Oct 14, 2009,