Sup,

Some songs just make you want to get up and dance to them. A good example for me is Santana's "I am Somebody" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrwxMRrWg3Y or a lot of Michael Jackson music.

What do you think creates the foundation of a song that makes people want to dance? I'm attempting to write a couple of my own to get the crowd happening.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Right tempo (I don't know what tempo that would be though) and a good beat - and ideally something you can sing to as your dancing

Edit: and a solid bassline - which kind of goes with the good beat thing
Cheers mate - I just found a link which stated that most modern dance music is 120-150bpm, so that'll act as a guide.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cheers mate - I just found a link which stated that most modern dance music is 120-150bpm, so that'll act as a guide.

The type of dance music that is referring to is the electronic genres e.g. techno, acid rave, house etc.

Try running a bpm reader on a few tracks that make you want to dqnce, then look at their grooves and stuff. It should really help. Major stuff is also really bouncy for me.
hi alan ,
my advice is to study african rhythms , african drumming , also south american latin rhythms , they are the core of most dance music in popular music , before that you had waltz's but i dont think that's what you have in mind with dance music .

empahisis on say beats 2 and 4 is a good place to start, also keep the notes staccato , short and crisp
the most important factor, as has been said, is a solid, steady bass rhythm to give people a solid rhythm

like in the santana song you posted, it has the solid characteristic thump that is often the driving force in a dance tune, a solid bump pause bump pause bump pause bump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqWBDiGX5_E&feature=related

The instruments have nothing to do with it, it's all about the rhythm, this particular song places the emphasis on the one.

What you want to make sure of is that you get a love of call and response in all of the instruments, interval changes that go back and forth in ostinato are what keep that latin/african rhythm going.
What was said above is good, check out Funk and Reggae though. They are similar styles, and definitly make people want to dance. As said above the bass line is SUPER important though.
I'm not sure if you're looking for stuff that fits this description, but regardless check out these guys, some friends of mine. Sadly they are no more, but I find their stuff outrageously danceable. I almost never dance but I was unable to restrain myself at thier gigs!

http://www.myspace.com/obeonline
Quote by hobson111
i never want to dance, ever

You must be exciting to watch on stage, and a real hit with the ladies

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to start writing music from the rhythm up, rather than the chords down and that should help.
Soundcloud