Yeah, this is kinda off the wall, and honestly I dont see too many other posts about it. .. But then again I didnt look TOO far, I admit. Anyway...

I've been feelin a little anti-big company lately. Plus not being able to whip out 3 thousand dollars and buy an amp on my own right this second...

So I was wondering, what would it take to build an amp on my own?
I'm not necessarily saying build every single little component myself,
primarily because I'd like to have this done before I'm old, and on the verge
of decay, and unable to play anyway.

But yeah. So... This is something I'd actually be willing to buy a book on,
too. Mainly because there's electricity and stuff, and it wouldnt be cool
for me to get fried before I have a chance to finish it,
let alone play through it.

But yeah... Nothing TOO complicated... I dont like homo amps that try to
do everything... Those suck decaying rhinocerus ass. So yeah,
just maybe a 2/3 channel tube.

Stop. Before you cuss me out and tell me how uneducated and un-
aware I am, let me tell you that I realize it will still be complicated.
Just not as much as some designs/models would be.

Books?

Schematics?

Help in general?

Anything is appreciated.

Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

...Maybe it's just me but that site isnt really telling me anything. I dont really know where to start, so yeah.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by Sublime_Dude
...Maybe it's just me but that site isnt really telling me anything. I dont really know where to start, so yeah.
Start by studying basic electronics. A year or so in HS or at a community college would be a good start. Somewhere along the line you'll need to read up on theory for thermionic valves. Build some pedals to gain some basic construction skills. Then maybe a single-ended amp, then a single channel push-pull, then move on to a 2 or 3 channel amp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Sublime_Dude
...Maybe it's just me but that site isnt really telling me anything.

They have guides and everything on how to build their amps. Combine the guides with the forum and being carefull and you can build yourself an amp. They have 4 classic designs and a building blocks section for more advanced projects.

It woun't give you the info you need to build your own amp from the ground up but it's a good place to start. If you want to design the amp as well as build it then like SomeoneYouKnew said - you'll need to get your theory down.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Where might I find said theory?

I've actually read up (A lot) on basic electronics, just kind of on my own, you know?

No offence, I'm thankful and grateful for ANY info, like I said, but how exactly will this help me understand? I can see it helping me understand the basics, like circuitry and whatnot... but... yeah. Maybe thats all there is to it? Lots of complex circuitry? And I've just got it in my mind that there's more?

Quote by Sublime_Dude
Where might I find said theory?

No offence, I'm thankful and grateful for ANY info, like I said, but how exactly will this help me understand? I can see it helping me understand the basics, like circuitry and whatnot... but... yeah. Maybe thats all there is to it? Lots of complex circuitry? And I've just got it in my mind that there's more?

If you really knew as much as you think you know (not calling you a liar, just saying you may think you know alot when you actually know little) you wouldn't be asking some of those questions. When I first came here, I thought I knew quite a bit (and boy was I cocky). I was quickly put into place.

What I'm saying is knowing what components are and knowing how to read a schematic aren't nearly enough. You need to know how the components work and how they work in circuits and interact with othe components.

Follow SYK's advice. He knows his ****.
AX84.com really is a great start.

Check this for theory on tubes and how the amp works:

http://www.ax84.com/p1.html go to "theory document"

They also have a build guide.

Check my sig for "kit build tutorial". I explain how to build their SEL (Single Ended Lead) from the ground up.

Between the theory document, their build guide, my build guide, and some googling of "basic electronics theory" you should be able to get there. buy one of their P1 kits and start there, when you're ready to go.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I understand what you're saying Invader_Jim. I'm not claiming I know a lot, I know I used the words "a lot", but i tend to use the wrong words a lot. From now on, for simplicity, I will enclose 'a lot' in brackets when i have no better term. Fair?

Anyway... I know some about that, about how they work, and what they do in circuits. I read [a lot] about the thermionic valves, just today alone. I learned something I didnt know, I admit. Like, just how the charges work in them. So, sure, I dont know 'everything', I'm not an ass like that. Im just saying I know more then some people would.

But yeah. So no worries.

But this is all GREAT information, thank you guys.

AX84 is a great resource, especially for starting out with amps.

I'd also suggest the following:

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/ (If you're going custom, especially)
http://www.aikenamps.com/ (you'll need to click "Tech Info")
http://www.drtube.com/ (have lots of Schematics and such)
http://schematicheaven.com/index_HTML.htm (have TONS of schematics)
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/index.php (Great tube datasheet search engine)