Hi guys,
Are equalizer pedals worth it? What sort of uses do they have and how important are they in a pedalboard?

Is the boss ge-7 a good choice?

Thanks
It depends if you're happy with the EQ your amp can give..
Some people will say no, some will say yes.

Do you think you need one?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
It depends on what you are looking for. If your amplifier's tone controls don't give you as much control over your sound as you would like, then a graphic equalizer pedal might be the answer. They are very useful for scooping out the midrange and getting the classic metal tone. MXR's 10-band Graphic EQ is one of the best of its kind.
An EQ is the only pedal I'd say is essential, you can't appreciate how useful they are until you actually own one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the 10-band costs me about $160 australian dollars. the GE-7 is only like $100... thoughts?
Quote by sampsonx
the 10-band costs me about $160 australian dollars. the GE-7 is only like $100... thoughts?

The GE-7 I tried was a noisy tone sucker
The MXR 10 band I tried was not.

You get what you pay for in this case imo. I currently own a (cheap) rack EQ and it is less transparant than the MXR I tried.

Quote by steven seagull
An EQ is the only pedal I'd say is essential, you can't appreciate how useful they are until you actually own one.

Lets not start this discussion up again.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
The GE-7 I tried was a noisy tone sucker
The MXR 10 band I tried was not.

You get what you pay for in this case imo. I currently own a (cheap) rack EQ and it is less transparant than the MXR I tried.

Lets not start this discussion up again.

So you're saying the threadstarter shouldn't be allowed to ask his question?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
So you're saying the threadstarter shouldn't be allowed to ask his question?

No, I'm saying there's a big thread floating around with an EQ = essential vs. EQ is NOT essential theme. A bottomless pit discussion. I'm trying to prevent this thread from going the same way.

Please don't take my words out of context. There is more to the OP's questions than just this discussion as well.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 14, 2009,
He asked a question, I answered it - perhaps you'd like to tell the threadstarter to close his thread and post in the other one instead?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

calm down guys - steven - would you also say the MXR is a better choice? and worth the extra $60?
Quote by steven seagull
He asked a question, I answered it - perhaps you'd like to tell the threadstarter to close his thread and post in the other one instead?

Like I said there is more to the OP's post than just this discussion. He's also asking about the GE7 and the uses of EQs in general.

Speaking of which, an EQ in front of the preamp could also function as a gain boost (or reduction).

In any case, I really didn't mean to turn this into a discussion and I really don't appreciate the cynicism in that last post of yours. Come on man, you know me better than that. Post on my wall or send me a pm.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by sampsonx
calm down guys - steven - would you also say the MXR is a better choice? and worth the extra $60?

I own a GE-7, and I have heard that the MXR is a lot better and worth the extra money, if you have the extra money. If you just want a simple EQ I would go for the GE-7, if you want something that you will probably keep for a long time, get the MXR
what about the uhh DOD FX40b i think its an oldie, but a couple of good players seem to use it
Quote by steven seagull

I just sold my MXR 10band EQ because I did not find so much use for it. I felt it had too many sliders for me, but who knows if I'll buy a 6 or 7 band EQ in the future. Right now I can get a balanced tone from my VC15 even though it lacks a bit bass response.
Get a GE-7 and mod it. They are simply excellent with a few simple mods.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i dont use a eq pedal on my pedalbaord, but i do think everyone should put one in their effects loop
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
you can round off your sound. boost the lows, mids or highs. get much brighter or darker, and even cut out some unwanted noise or bass-heavy signals from pedals.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

ive tried all the eq pedals and the mxr 10 bands are the best, i use the kfk 10 band myself, love it, i put it in my effects loop to tweak my sound and i never turn it off.
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
gain boost
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss TR-2
Boss RV-3 (best pedal ever!)
Boss BF-3
Line 6 DL4
Peavy Delta Blues 2x10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
I find it depends on your amp. I bought an EQ pedal for my Mesa Boogie Single Rectifer and Line6 Vetta II, but it didn't really do a lot, and the same goes for my practise amp, a Valvetronix.
But once I stuck the EQ in the effects loop of the Vetta, it really came alive. And it worked decently with the Framus Dragon I had for a period.

I've heard they work wonders for cheaper tube amps, such as the Valveking.
I can think of a number of different ways of fine-tuning your tone, all of which I'd prefer over an EQ pedal. New speakers/cab, new valves, new pickups, a different guitar, differently voiced overdrives, anything. It's really a workaround to bad tone more than a method of getting good tone.

Possible uses are as a solo 'boost', or if your amp has a specific frequency that bothers you, or perhaps if you want to change to, for example, a Les Paul for a few songs when your amp is set up for a Telecaster.
I love my MXR 10 band, I have it in my FXs loop and it offers a lot of tonal control.
I probably should've mentioned that i'm just using a Roaland Cube 20 watt practice solid state amp. Thanks for the overwhelming and great responses
It all depends on what sort of music you play and how you want to control your tone. I have/use one. I have a Danelectro Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ, and for $35 it is a hell of a good pedal. You can use EQ pedals to boost solos (make them louder/stand out more) or just make certain sections of songs stand out more from the rest. You can use them to have even more precise control of your tone. You can use them for palm muted "chuggah" parts to get a nice sound. They have all sorts of uses.
Personally I'd only get an EQ unless you need it.

I used to use the MXR 10 band with my RM100 but now it kinda just sits out of the chain just to look nice.

If you really want to be precise about your tone and want to tweak it then it is a great pedal for the price, otherwise stick with your amp.

I'm not downing on the MXR I just don't have as much use for it as i did when i used it with my Valvetronix.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by patbuck2
It all depends on what sort of music you play and how you want to control your tone. I have/use one. I have a Danelectro Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ, and for $35 it is a hell of a good pedal. You can use EQ pedals to boost solos (make them louder/stand out more) or just make certain sections of songs stand out more from the rest. You can use them to have even more precise control of your tone. You can use them for palm muted "chuggah" parts to get a nice sound. They have all sorts of uses.

as you can tell from my dp i'm a tool fan aswell
Quote by sampsonx
as you can tell from my dp i'm a tool fan aswell

Yes. Also, if you like to play a lot of Tool on guitar, then an eq pedal is almost a must have. Adam Jones uses his eq boost on almost every single Tool song. He kicks it on for his solos, the palm muted "chuggah" parts, and for the sections of songs when he just needs to stand out more (like the beginning bend of Sober, for example).
instead of staring a new thread, can i ask does an eq pedal add to the sound you get from the amp or scrap it and change the tone to what comes from the pedal, it may seem an obvious question but im not all that sure and im questioning getting one
Hm.... There's also use for an EQ before your preamp/distortion pedal/what have you. This is how I mainly use mine. Boost the mids for much more distortion definition, then you can scoop em back out after the distortion section.

Anyway. I can always find a use for an EQ. If you know what you are doing, so will you.
Quote by hobson111
instead of staring a new thread, can i ask does an eq pedal add to the sound you get from the amp or scrap it and change the tone to what comes from the pedal, it may seem an obvious question but im not all that sure and im questioning getting one
To some, "colouring" the tone with an EQ pedal is a desired affect. While others, feel any alteration of the original sound and feel to be irritating and defeats the purpose of spending a shed load of money on a top quality amp.
I think in between is best, personally. Where you can shape and correct any misgivings in the amps onboard EQ circuitry--which is common among cheaper amplifiers--and also, the feel of the amp is slightly altered; maybe given more depth.
I found a used m-108 for $126 aussie dollars. Is it worth getting one thats two years old or spending the extra $34 to get one brand new
The difficulty i found once i got my EQ pedal was realizing where I really wanted it in the whole chain of things. I didn't want to EQ my guitar, i wanted to eq the sound that came out of the speaker. at that time i was fine with whatever the guitar was doing, but the sound that came out of the speaker is what i wanted to change.

with a FX loop, you are still EQing in front of a Amp, so i think thats just how it is.

I looked into it a bit further and i read that a Microcube(or possibly any modeling amp) does not use guitar specific speakers, they use speakers that replicate sound, so it may not be as bad as i thought it would be.