I've heard my singer talking about it a bit, and her teacher. I'm pretty sure head voice is the higher portion of your range? But I'm not completely sure.. What makes it your head voice?

I don't sing. I'm starting to contemplate getting a few secret private singing lessons, just to make sure I can sing the intervals I hear for exams, but I don't have the confidence to sing..

ANYWAY.
What is head voice? how many voices ARE there? Why is head voice called head voice?
In general, there is "head voice" and "chest voice". They are called so because when you sing a note it causes vibrations more predominantly in one part of the body or the other. If you sing a note and the vibration occurs in your chest area, this is chest voice. If it is more predominant in the head, it's head voice.

It's not super important to discriminate between the two for guys, it's been a source of debate whether guys even have a "head voice".

It's definately not important for where you are now. Practice singing those intervals at home so you can at least differentiate between the octaves when it comes to exam time.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Answered here: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=30

It is important to note that the terms 'head voice' and 'chest voice' are a little dangerous, though, because they suggest an exclusivity, whereas in truth, you are always using a mixture of the two. The proportion of head resonance vs. chest resonance changes as you go from high notes to low notes, but there is always a mixture of both.

There is also something called whistle register, which is an even more artificial means of producing the voice than falsetto and gives really squeaky high notes. Google some girl named "Georgia Brown" for someone who often demonstrates her 'range' by using whistle register. (I put 'range' in quotes because your range is generally not considered to include anything beyond your natural voice... that is, no falsetto or whistle register.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I think another word for "head voice" is also called falsetto.

The way I feel it when I sing in falsetto is it's not so much coming from my chest as it is when I sing lower.
Quote by daguy1234
I think another word for "head voice" is also called falsetto.

The way I feel it when I sing in falsetto is it's not so much coming from my chest as it is when I sing lower.

Not true. Head voice and falsetto are two very different things. In head voice, the only thing that really changes is where the resonance primarily resides; instead of the chest, it resonates most in the head. During falsetto, your vocal cords actually separate, producing that "airy" sound.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....