Hopefully this is in the right forum, it seemed appropriate but if I'm wrong please feel free to let me know where to post this.
I have two questions for you all, they are as follows:
FIRST:
What is your personal position on mic stands for the lead singer? I am contemplating getting one, but I don't know if I want to have to lug it around stage with me (I move around alot, never in the same place for more then a few lines), and I'm not sure how it would affect my stage presence, if it would be negative or positive.
SECOND:
What do I do while the lead guitarist is soloing?
His solos range from 30 seconds, to almost 2 minutes, so I don't want to just stand there like a tool, so do you have any tips on what I should do while he's wailing away?
Thanks in advance
EDITS:
My band plays classic rock in the vein of Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, and AC/DC
There is only one song where the lead guitarist solos for over 2 minutes, and it is at the very end of the song, and the song ends with the solo. And no, the solos are not all that long (@AlanHB), but thanks for that input. We'll keep that in mind as we're writing new songs
Best dirty pick-up line...
Quote by hide_the_beer
I wish you were my homework so I could slam you on my desk and do you all night long
Last edited by [Erebus] at Oct 15, 2009,
You can just play some air guitar in front of the guitarist with you mic stand
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by thorbor
You can just play some air guitar in front of the guitarist with you mic stand

Whatever you do, do not do that. As a guitarist I hate having my singer do that by me, because then it turns an opportunity for a great lead to be drowned out by an effort to make a laugh, which guitarists are never aiming for whilst performing a solo.

Your guitarist should be making center stage/front stage when his cue is up nonetheless, so as long as you are feeling the music in the background it shouldn't be too big of a deal, because the audience's attention should be on the guitarist anyway.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
FIRST QUESTION: I always think singers look better with Mic stands...just my opinion...and if you're moving around a lot, just yank the mic off of the stand and take it with you!

SECOND QUESTION: I'm not a lead singer, but I know that I'm very uncomfortable being on stage if I'm not doing anything.

ANWAY, here's my suggestion...if its a shorter solo, just kind of rock out in the back, or take a drink of water, and come back to the front JUST IN TIME to start singing again!

For Longer Solos...

I saw Dream Theater in concert about a month ago...and whenever John Petrucci was doing his thing, or if it was an instrumental bit, James LaBrie usually walked off stage, and gave the band their chance in the limelight. It was very classy, and allowed everyone to focus on the band as opposed to Labrie...

I'd say, if the solo is around 30 seconds, just kind of step back, and get a drink. If its a minute or longer, go back stage, or get out of sight of the audience.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Mic stands are perfectly fine - you can take the mike off them, you know. :P: For my current singer, we've found that it gives him something to do with his hands, and it gives him something to hold onto while he's not singing (whereas if you're only holding a mike, you do look a tiny bit lost on the stage unless you've got really awesome stage presence). However, if you're running about the stage while singing, it's probably not going to work.

As far as solos go, your main aim should be to avoid distracting from the guitarist. This is his moment to be at the front, you get most of the attention for the rest of the song. Take a few steps back, let him be the closest person to the audience, and just rock out a bit. If you can get hold of a tambourine, they're really good things for a singer to have anyway (again, makes it look like you're doing something on stage), and you can play that through a solo.
How many 2 minute solos does your guitarist have exactly? One per gig is acceptable, more is generally not.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Steven Tyler rocked the sash on the micstand, you could do much the same. Just take a breather, get some water, or run around the stage like Zach De La Rocha. You could sit on the stage edge and nod your head like Liam Gallagher from Oasis, its looks silly, but it works for him. I agree on one thing though, If the guitarist wants his momment in the limelight, you have to give to him, or youll look like an ass.

Too many solos is bad, unless he's the freaking pre-madonna of lead guitar, then its just annoying.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
It depends on the type of band you have really, some bands are really instrumental, hence you'll have a lot of soloing on drums or guitar or even bass.

I'd suggest you do what you like, developing a scheme or schedule seems really weird, do what feels appropriate, if you guys are in the middle of a jam and the guitarist is soloing, make up some words to fit into it, or a harmony at the crescendo. If the solo is more precise and is placed in a song, then you could walk off the stage or just walk around chilling in the music, just do what you would do if you were listening to a loud solo in your own home by yourself.
For a long solo I usually step to the back of the stage and drink some water. For the shorter solos I'll just step back and groove whilst watching him solo.

Here's the most important thing tho: do what feels natural, but don't detract from his solo.

Just watch what singers in similar bands do during solos.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Joey Ramone doesn't sing at all in the song "Wart Hog" but he stays on stage and fits in fine because he goes with the music, he always seems like he's about to start singing, and the band had such a strong on-stage image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8os467nF4

I think that's a brilliant example of stage presence, to take into account.

You may need a mic stand for this one to work =P
Quote by Plexi81
It depends on the type of band you have really, some bands are really instrumental, hence you'll have a lot of soloing on drums or guitar or even bass.

When your band is starting out, if you put in too many long extended solos into your songs, the audience will not like you and leave.
Soundcloud
Do what Roger Daltry did and just spin your microphone around in the air. It looks cool AND it's dangerous.
Quote by AlanHB
When your band is starting out, if you put in too many long extended solos into your songs, the audience will not like you and leave.

Except not everyone in the audience dislikes long solos and those who enjoy the extended solos will probably love you more for having the balls to do it.

Anyways TS, rock out and have fun during the solos. Chances are, if you aren't enjoying yourself, the audience isn't either.
Personally i think mic stands make the singer look awkward and tend to make them move less. I don't see the point of it if he's not playing an instrument.

For solos, just rock out, crowd surf (if the show is like that) and just jump around. One time when me and the other guitarist were having a guitar duel, the other guitarst started playing behind his back unexpectedly and the singer was just standing there completely still staring in shock.
I hate my sig
Quote by Meurglys3
Except not everyone in the audience dislikes long solos and those who enjoy the extended solos will probably love you more for having the balls to do it.

Here is a game you can play at home.

Go to a party with your guitar. People ask you to play a song. Play long extended guitar solo. Watch people leave. Then play and sing "Time of Your Life". You are now the focus of the party. After time of your life do long extended guitar solo. Watch people leave.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Here is a game you can play at home.

Go to a party with your guitar. People ask you to play a song. Play long extended guitar solo. Watch people leave. Then play and sing "Time of Your Life". You are now the focus of the party. After time of your life do long extended guitar solo. Watch people leave.

Ah yes, I call that game "Selling-out". But face it, stooping to the lowest common denominator will just result in people liking you while you play and mostly forgetting about you after the show. But if you can pull off long solos well, even if it only appeals to a minority, that minority is probably going to like the band a lot, remember the band, and spread the word.
Quote by Meurglys3
Ah yes, I call that game "Selling-out". But face it, stooping to the lowest common denominator will just result in people liking you while you play and mostly forgetting about you after the show. But if you can pull off long solos well, even if it only appeals to a minority, that minority is probably going to like the band a lot, remember the band, and spread the word.

Really? I call it playing for the audience. They'd obviously prefer a fully structured song that they're familiar with than a self-indulgent guitarist aimlessly playing for the same amount of time.

By your definition, all cover bands would be sell-outs.

Early in a guitarists live career, they believe that those long solos will impress the audience, and proceed to melt people's faces for 6 minutes. Afterwards an audience member will tell them that they suck, and ask why they can't play songs. This is the point where they start considering playing for the music rather than using the stage as an opportunity to show the audience how awesome they are.
Soundcloud
Quote by Meurglys3

Whether or not you like to admit it or not long guitar solos are alienating to the general listener. He's not saying don't play solos. He's just saying that people begin to find solos boring if they go on for too long. Except the rare exception.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I agree with a few things the mic can be taken out of the stand, so really you get both. I dont know if anyone agrees but songs that are maybe a little more intense emotion wise, using the mic stand seems to create better ambience, and demands more attention.