I'll start this off by saying I haven't had a guitar in 7 months and good lord it feels good to be back.

And with that you should get a bit of an idea of what my question will be. How would you recommend I go about rebuilding my chops? I think I'm doing it the wrong way....heh. I just can't put my guitar down. In the two days I've had my guitar, I've put in 19 hours of practice. Not an over-exaggeration at all. Now while some of you might go going 'that's dedication!', hopefully the smarter of you will be going 'that's just foolish.' I, unfortunately, didn't listen to myself when I decided it was foolish and just kept on going. Now I'm paying for it. The tips of my ring finger and middle finger on my fretting hand are now bruising. Not the best feeling in the world. It hurts to type.

So...To reiterate, how would you recommend I go about rebuilding my chops? If any of you have ever gone through the same thing (months without playing and then finally being able to hop back into it) and found a regiment that works for you, that'll help. Speculation works fine as well.

Any help is appreciated.
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
Just go back into your normal schedule.. Bout an hour or 2 a day maybe, finger exercises and picking and stuff. Broke my arm twice, in plaster for about 6 weeks both times :P
yeah; i took just a 3 day break right after getting all of "erotomania" by dream theater down; and after that; i couldnt play it

now i have to work up to the solos everytime because of school taking time away, but it just building up to it from lower speeds.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by RyanIbanezMan
Just go back into your normal schedule.. Bout an hour or 2 a day maybe, finger exercises and picking and stuff. Broke my arm twice, in plaster for about 6 weeks both times :P

There's the problem. I never really had a schedule before this either. I suppose an hour or two of strict practicing and then just random jamming the rest of the day...might be worth a shot, but I can see that going south real quick seeing as 'random jamming' will end up being more practicing, hah.

15 minute breaks in between every hour maybe? Anyone have any previous luck with that?

GEAR:

I don't think there is any secret here. Use common sense. You can't play 10 hours a day right now. Duh. Work your way back up to it.

Are you independently wealthy? How is it that you have nothing else to do for 10 hours a day besides play the guitar?
Quote by Commodor 64
I don't think there is any secret here. Use common sense. You can't play 10 hours a day right now. Duh. Work your way back up to it.

Are you independently wealthy? How is it that you have nothing else to do for 10 hours a day besides play the guitar?

Not looking for any 'secret', just insight into what others have done to build themselves back up, if anyone has gone on certain regiments that have helped them. Obviously common sense is a factor, which I addressed in my initial post. I got carried away. I admitted fault there.

And I'm not too certain how my time or financial stability has anything to do with this thread or why it's of any concern, but if it's really a pressing matter to you, I don't sleep much. I work in the mornings, come home and play until I get tired (it's 5:26AM in Washington right now, for example), sleep, go to work, and do it again.

GEAR:

The common sense thing is important, you have to build back up to it. I pretty much put the guitar down for 7 years (I would strum every now and then on a beat up acoustic) and when I picked it back up a couple of years ago, I pretty much had to re-teach myself. It's frustrating because I can't really remember the majority of the songs that i used to play and my fingers wouldn't work the way they used to. they didn't move as fast and my calluses were gone making it somewhat painful to play at first. Take it slow, and if I were you, I would look at this as an opportunity to start good practice habits. I would limit it to 30-45 minutes a day doing scales and modes for probably the first 2 weeks just to build calluses back up and get your fingers in shape. After that, I would probably add another session for ear training or learning songs but I would take a break between sessions...You'll know when you can start increasing your session time- just listen your body (as gay as that sounds).