So I am fairly new to learning about music and it's history. I am currently taking Music Appreciation and Music History in college, which is mostly Rennaisance and Baroque music, and I don't know if this is the right way to say it. There is a woman in my class, well in her 50's, who has a great ear for music. You could play any chord and she'll be able to distinguish what it is.

Well anyway, the way she talks slightly bugs me. It's a very pompous, "I know everything about what you are learning" tone. BUT IT IS SO ACCURATE.

My question is "In order to be a great musician do you really need to be able to know everything about it?"

This is a very opiniated question I know, but I wanted to get your specific opinion on this.

I want to know about music, but I don't want to become this type of person if I do. To me there are other things out there besides music, it is not the one thing that makes the world go round.
of course you dont need to no everything to be a great musician.

the term "to be a musician" is very diverse

she might no chords by hearing thing, another person may have speed and technique, another one may have the creativity like no one else

these are all musicians
Last edited by Martindecorum at Oct 14, 2009,
To be great you must do great things, and to do that in regards to music probably requires a very intimate knowledge of it's rudiments.

Instead of asking us, you might should just go to wikipedia and read those condensed biographies of great musicians. Some elements of their stories vary widely, others, not so much.

And for the record, and so that we're on the same page, when I think of 'great' musicians I think of Bach and Beethoven, not Gilmour and Malmsteen.
I built my own guitars. What dose that tell ya .lol

There were also moment in my life when i rather tapp the G string
rather then tapping my GF...
Last edited by 12notes at Oct 14, 2009,
The reason I am asking on here is so I have a basic understanding of how everyone else feels currently, not how it was or the most correct way to become.
Quote by nostr0tomas
So I am fairly new to learning about music and it's history. I am currently taking Music Appreciation and Music History in college, which is mostly Rennaisance and Baroque music, and I don't know if this is the right way to say it. There is a woman in my class, well in her 50's, who has a great ear for music. You could play any chord and she'll be able to distinguish what it is.

Well anyway, the way she talks slightly bugs me. It's a very pompous, "I know everything about what you are learning" tone. BUT IT IS SO ACCURATE.

My question is "In order to be a great musician do you really need to be able to know everything about it?"

This is a very opiniated question I know, but I wanted to get your specific opinion on this.

I want to know about music, but I don't want to become this type of person if I do. To me there are other things out there besides music, it is not the one thing that makes the world go round.
In order to be a great musician I believe you need to understand a lot about it - but that doesn't necessarily mean formal theory. It means you know what sound you want to create, and you understand how to achieve that sound.

I would call Bach and Beethoven, and Gilmour and Malmsteen great musicians. And Hendrix and Clapton. Imo you don't need to be a great composer to be a great musician, and you don't need to know formal theory to be a great musician. You just need to create great music

I also reckon there are two main reasons people learn theory - or any other subject for that matter - some learn it for themselves because they want to expand their knowledge about a subject they love. Some learn it to impress. And yes, for most people its probably a bit of both. But it sounds to me like the woman in your class is more interested in impressing people than she is in the subject itself.

If you want to know about music to impress people you're already that type of person and learning it won't change anything. If, however, you want to learn about music for yourself, because you're interested in it, then its not going to change who you are.