I want to start learning songs by ear instead of constantly having to read tabs. Any tips to make the learning process easier? Any help is appreciated!
Experiment a lot on the fretboard,press and combine different frets day in day out and combine them into power chords etc. Despite it being boring as taking a dump (tho some ppl find it amusing dunno) you'll notice how in about a week's time you'll be able to transcribe and FEEL the notes better
Transcribing usually means converting music from one instrument to another one that isn't in the same key, i.e. trumpet to French horn.

As for your question, I think it's a combination of loads of practice and knowing a bit of theory.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

^ I always thought that was transposing?

@TS - start with really simple stuff, like happy birthday. Then gradually work up to the stuff you want to learn. Do some ear training too if you can and learn your intervals - it helps, lots.
Quote by SteveHouse
Transcribing usually means converting music from one instrument to another one that isn't in the same key, i.e. trumpet to French horn.

No it doesn't.

Do a lot of ear training. Learn to recognize intervals, chords and scales through hours of practice. Spend just as much if not more time on ear training as technical training. Also i recommend a book called "Training The Ear" by Armen Donelian which really good.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by zhilla
^ I always thought that was transposing?

Lol yep. Damn similar words.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Ear training is immensely helpful in speeding up the process, but practice is the big thing. Just try figuring out simple melodies (i.e., Happy Birthday, Frère Jacques). A program that can slow down a song without changing pitch like Transcribe! would also be very helpful.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Anteaterking
Transcribing is usually when you listen for the intent purposes of writing down.

Actually, the intent is irrelevant. Based on the standard definition..... if you wrote it down, you transcribed it.

Main Entry: tran·scribe
Pronunciation: \tran(t)-ˈskrīb\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): tran·scribed; tran·scrib·ing
Etymology: Latin transcribere, from trans- + scribere to write — more at scribe
Date: 1552
1 a : to make a written copy of
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 14, 2009,
Learn solfege.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by GuitarMunky
Actually, the intent is irrelevant. Based on the standard definition..... if you wrote it down, you transcribed it.

Main Entry: tran·scribe
Pronunciation: \tran(t)-ˈskrīb\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): tran·scribed; tran·scrib·ing
Etymology: Latin transcribere, from trans- + scribere to write — more at scribe
Date: 1552
1 a : to make a written copy of

That's clearly what I meant, compared to the people who are saying playing by ear= transcription.
What helps for me is to focus on one small part till you can match the note you're playing and the note the song is playing. Then from that you can figure out the intervals for the riffs, and then from there figure out the key of the song. Then if you know theory, you can figure out the chord progression the song is using, which makes it really easy from there.

Some good songs to start out trying this on are pop-punk songs like Dammit by Blink 182. Iron Maiden's verses and choruses are also usually pretty easy to figure out- Iron Maiden (the song) came pretty easy for me.
I would recommend importing the song into Audacity so that you can select certain sections of songs more easily, as well as being able to slow down the song. Voice Trap is a helpful plug-in that you can use with Audacity (you will need this to use it) when you want to help isolate parts that are panned left, right, or center. Also, I recommend putting the transcription into powertab/Guitar Pro/whatever with proper rhythms because it's just as important to understand the timing of the song as it is to understand the notes.

And if you have trouble figuring out a chord, try playing one note at a time over the chord and finding all the notes that sound correct over it. Try listening for individual notes in chords as well.
Umm, I do it this way.

1. Identify the key of the song.
2. Use knowledge of keys to determine the common chords used within it
3. Experiment with the chords until you find the progression
4. Use relevant scales to identify the riffs/licks/guitar solo within the song
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud