Hey all,

it's been a while since I posted in here asking for help, but I just wanted some opinions before I start taking this guitar apart.

I recently bought this guitar for my girlfriends birthday:

The guitar sounds absolutely brilliant, far better than I expected. It's very resonant and lightweight and plays excellently (comfortable high action for blues fun). I'm having a bit of a problem with it though.

The problem is with tuning and strange intonation. If I get the guitar completely in tune it sounds great above the fifth fret. Everything is in tune with everything else. When I solo above the 12th is sounds wonderful. However, try doing an open G and it all falls apart. There's something seriously messed up towards the nut, where almost any open chord sounds slightly out of tune and messy as hell.

I was thinking this probably doesn't have much to do with intonation at the bridge, but more likely, the nut being too high. However, before I start filing it down, I wanted some opinions on where the opinion could lie.

If you need any details or I'm not being clear, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
hmm that is an interesting issue. You seem like you know what you're talking about, and not an average idiot in this forum, but I'll still throw out a few simple suggestions popping into my head.

Frets: make sure no fretwire is poking up out of the fingerboard, and that everything is set correctly. Perhaps it's not your action, but the fret compromising the playability.

Nut: What you talked about, too high or too low.

Bridge: Bad knife-edge on the saddles. Although, this would most likely affect every note played.

Pickups: Is the sound present when you're not plugged in also? Perhaps there is some kind of issue with the polepieces on the pickup?

I assume you also know to check basic intonation and action on the setup, as accurately as possible.

This one sounds weird, man. Good luck..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Sounds like nut height to me, maybe check the nut for burrs when you have the strings off. Is the issue across all of the strings, or just one or two?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy - I've ruled out most of those, but there's a possibility that a high fret is to blame, I'll give that a look. Definitely not to do with the pups as it's there when unplugged too. I think I'll take another look at it now.

bv310 - That's what I was thinking. The problem is across the high E and the B. They are completely out of tune with the rest when playing open chords (such as G and A, they make it most apparent). I'm thinking about filing the nut down to try and reduce excess tension when fretting open chords (as they're so close to the high nut).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Maybe just pick up some Mitchell's Abrasive Cord and try to smooth out the slots first. Might save you a bit of work.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.