hey can someone explain the sounds of the different slide materials? Like what's the difference between glass and brass? Im a noob when it comes to slide. Also why do people wear it on the ring finger? it makes more sense to me to be on the index, idk.
Last edited by cannerwrestling at Oct 14, 2009,
Glass is a very nice, smooth sound. Brass with give a "tinnier" sound.
Smart Pothead and Proud
there is no right way do do it bro, use it whatever way is more comfortable, and yes glass is smooth and brass is "tinnier" and more rude sounding.
try some out at your local shop before you buy
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by cannerwrestling
hey can someone explain the sounds of the different slide materials? Like what's the difference between glass and brass? Im a noob when it comes to slide. Also why do people wear it on the ring finger? it makes more sense to me to be on the index, idk.

I think it makes sense on nearly every finger except the index, it's good to have the index finger on the nut side of the slide as you can lay it out to help mute string noise etc.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
I think it makes sense on nearly every finger except the index, it's good to have the index finger on the nut side of the slide as you can lay it out to help mute string noise etc.

ok thanks yeah that makes a lot of sense! **** i feel dumb now. thanks guys!
Quote by Deep*Kick

And thumb Would be awkward wearing a slide on your thumb.

To contribute to the thread: There is no better, just with picks it's what you like. Glass and brass sound a bit different, but it's not really THAT noticeable. I use brass because I like the weight, it feels like I have more control over it.
I would recommend a glass slide with a thick wall for electric. that will give you a way smoother, warmer tone making your slide sound very versatile. Brass/copper/stell is definitely for steel string acoustic stuff because metal will have more of a loud, cutting tone that will compliment an acoustics soft mellow tone. also most people wear their slides on the middle or pinky fingers to fret chords and notes without having to remove and replace the slide mid song. tons of people from blues to rock use fretting/slide playing techniques, it sounds wicked and is fun as heck. these are all really just guidelines. it depends on what sound you want. Muddy waters played blues slide on a tele with a steel slide and had a really bright tone that he some how was able to control and he sounded awesome. I use a shotglass (highly recommended btw) bc of the extra thick wall on both electric and acoustic stuff bc I love the unique feel and sound.
whenever i use a slide i usually use a glass slide because of the softer tone but if i have to a brass slide it's usually chromed.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369