I'm looking to get a Les Paul and am wondering what the big differences (other than price and pickups) between the Gibson Les Paul Studio and the Epiphone Les Paul Slash Signature models in terms of overall quality and features.

Both can be found used for the $700-$900 range and I'm curious of the pros and cons of each.

thanks...
the only obvious spec difference is the powerbridge acoustic transducer, then theres the usual differences in gibson versus epi quality.....i think your talking about the mid-late 90s gibson lp slash at that price though..........or a fake
I cannot, for the life of me, see why someone would pay a premium on a Slash edition Epi. does it have ANY differences from your typical run of the mill Epi lp standard? (Other than the Duncans?)
Quote by al112987
I cannot, for the life of me, see why someone would pay a premium on a Slash edition Epi. does it have ANY differences from your typical run of the mill Epi lp standard? (Other than the Duncans?)

They made the neck closer to the neck pickup for more sustain but that's about it...oh and the fact it's got a proper spray job on it lol.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
I prefer the Slash Epi over the studios. I really like the neck profile compared to the Gibson. I would say find an Epi.

EDIT:The main differences are the custom Slash neck profile on the Epi, which is a pretty hefty neck. Also, the way the neck is set in is supposed to have more natural compression and sustain. Not sure besides that.
Last edited by minchew at Oct 14, 2009,
Gibby LP Studio all the way.
You are referring to the "worn cherry" at that price, correct?

"Worn Cherry" always makes me chuckle...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Gibby LP Studio all the way.
You are referring to the "worn cherry" at that price, correct?

"Worn Cherry" always makes me chuckle...

No, I found a Wine Red/Chrome LP Studio for a good price, that's the one Im considering vs the Epi Slash LP. I haven't seen it in person, but pictures look good.

So, the neck on the Epi Slash LP is not as thick as the neck on the LP Studio?
The Epi Slash model has just three unique things:
- Slash's choice of neck profile (which is neither good or bad, who knows if you'll like it).
- Set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers (which are next to useless for 99% of people and will actually just make it harder to get a tone like Slash's unless you own his exact amp head, cab and cables).
- Longer neck tenon (theoretically helps sustain and note attack, though on an Epiphone the difference is impossible to notice).

It's really, really pointless. The neck has just as much of a chance of being unsuitable for you as it has for being good (and in fact it's quite a thick neck, and lots of people already complain the regular Epi neck is too thick, so I imagine for the majority of people the Slash neck will be horrible), the long neck tenon does sod-all for the Epi and the pickups - even if they were ones which were more useful to more people - aren't worth the huge price jump from an Epi LP Standard.

Quote by notslash

So, the neck on the Epi Slash LP is not as thick as the neck on the LP Studio?
The neck of the SLash LP, from what I understand, is thicker than the current Gibson 50's neck profile, which I believe is what most Studio models are made with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
The Epi Slash model has just three unique things:
- Slash's choice of neck profile (which is neither good or bad, who knows if you'll like it).
- Set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers (which are next to useless for 99% of people and will actually just make it harder to get a tone like Slash's unless you own his exact amp head, cab and cables).
- Longer neck tenon (theoretically helps sustain and note attack, though on an Epiphone the difference is impossible to notice).

It's really, really pointless. The neck has just as much of a chance of being unsuitable for you as it has for being good (and in fact it's quite a thick neck, and lots of people already complain the regular Epi neck is too thick, so I imagine for the majority of people the Slash neck will be horrible), the long neck tenon does sod-all for the Epi and the pickups - even if they were ones which were more useful to more people - aren't worth the huge price jump from an Epi LP Standard.

The neck of the SLash LP, from what I understand, is thicker than the current Gibson 50's neck profile, which I believe is what most Studio models are made with.

OK, thanks, that was actually very helpful. I would prefer a thinner neck profile. I think I will focus on the LP Studio instead.
Depending on how slim you want the neck to be, it might be more worthwhile looking at the Epiphone Prophecy guitars, which have the slimmest necks of any Epi/Gibson guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by notslash
No, I found a Wine Red/Chrome LP Studio for a good price, that's the one Im considering vs the Epi Slash LP. I haven't seen it in person, but pictures look good.

Ah, you are looking used. Good move. The studios are a great value used, so many people dog them to no end but they are fine guitars imo. They sell used for $600-800 all the time. New, they are at $1200 before any real discounts.
go fer the gibson...the epi isnt that great for the price but hey! if its says slash why not buy it! *NOT*
Would you rather buy a used Mercedes or a new Toyota? The Toyota is guaranteed to have more cool **** on it. And yet, I think you'd be retarded not to buy the Mercedes, as it is a much nicer, better-built car.

So unless you really want the features on the Epi Slash, it's pretty much a non-issue. Next.
Quote by jean_genie
Would you rather buy a used Mercedes or a new Toyota? The Toyota is guaranteed to have more cool **** on it. And yet, I think you'd be retarded not to buy the Mercedes, as it is a much nicer, better-built car.

So unless you really want the features on the Epi Slash, it's pretty much a non-issue. Next.

Maybe he wants to support the Japanese market, yeah he wouldn't be retarded then
Quote by darkcheef
Maybe he wants to support the Japanese market, yeah he wouldn't be retarded then

Okay, okay, fine.

Lexus and Toyota.

Happy cheef?
what is a better all around guitar. the les paul Gibson traditional pro or gibson les paul studio limited edition ( only 400 made in the US and it came fitted with p90 and burstbuckle 3 pickups. it also has a kill switch.

i played both guitars and find that the tradional pro has much nicer warm sound and the limited studio sounds like any other high end metal guitar. the p 90 pickups did not sound any much better than my schecter Duncan Design humbuckles.

please help be decide which of the 2 are better guitars becuase i have 2 weeks to decide if i want to return the studio limited

thanks