Page 1 of 2
Well what you say isnt gonna be my final decision but i need some advise

Ive been at college just over 4 weeks now and today i found that i failed the maths test and got 46% when the pass rate was 60%, but thanks to my homework the lecturer is giving me a resit tomorrow, but this really struck me as a warning.
If i fail again tomorrow it means im getting moved on to a course called Use of maths instead of the maths As level. At the min im doing maths business economics and ICT and ive been thinking about quiting but then what do i do then?

It would probably involve me getting a job and still going to college but taking music but ive only played guitar for a year and 1/2 and cant read music but im not sure if that a requirement

Any advise would be appreciated
, Thanks
Gear:

Westone: Thunder 2
BOSS: Heavy Metal HM-2
Marlin: HML 10L
Peavey: Vypyr 30
Let's say you quit school,then what?
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
pull yourself together, think about what you expect from your education.

Quit or Learn.

College is not for everyone.

Quoted from my headmaster.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Nexium
Let's say you quit school,then what?

I said, go on to another college course which involves guitar, and also get a part time job
Gear:

I've failed a class also, but it hasn't killed me. Hang in there. Maybe switch your major around some. Don't quit just yet.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Use of Maths is pointless don't bother with it, choose a proper subject instead of it if you can't do Maths. You've got a pretty tight spread of subjects there, why not do a humanity or a science?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Thing is, is i got an A in maths GCSE, then i fail the first test with 46%
Gear:

well rather then thinking about quitting, get your ass together and study.

last semester phyics 112 i got a 27 on the midterm, studied my ass off for the final and pulled of an 83 on hte exam. One bump in hte road is not enough to quit.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Cal UK
Use of Maths is pointless don't bother with it, choose a proper subject instead of it if you can't do Maths. You've got a pretty tight spread of subjects there, why not do a humanity or a science?

We've been told we cant swap subjects anymore, was just in first week of college
Gear:

Revise, extra lessons, get help from the person who's scoring highest! There's loads of options instead of quitting
Quote by Blagworth08
I said, go on to another college course which involves guitar, and also get a part time job

Guitar Performance studies lead to nowhere.

Learn something like music business or audio engineering.

Sure, alot of famous guitarists went to Berklee, but you would probably think about it twice because a master degree costs like 120k dollars there. (school costs, not the degree )
(Assuming that your not loaded nor rich.)
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Blagworth08
We've been told we cant swap subjects anymore, was just in first week of college

I'm sure if you have a reasonable argument and a sensible person in charge of subjects they will be able to see you are not happy or doing your best with the subject and you would do better in a different one.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

last semester phyics 112 i got a 27 on the midterm, studied my ass off for the final and pulled of an 83 on hte exam. One bump in hte road is not enough to quit.

While I do agree with this to a certain extent you need to think about the Maths. College's get brownie points for having more kids doing 'real subjects', Maths, English, Sciences, so they let people onto the Maths course with Bs in Maths at GCSE. I think that really you need an A* to demonstrate you have the ability to do it at A Level.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's someone on here who got a B at GCSE then went on to get a B at A Level. However, you'll probs have to be working at the maths for 1-2 hours a night.
Are you serious? You've been in college 4 weeks and you're considering quitting already? Well, not much I can say except suck it up. No college = no decent living in the future, regardless of what anyone else says. You won't be able to "jam" for a living, and your best bet is to study harder, get help with math, and stick out those four years or so. Try taking some courses in English, too. Those run-ons aren't going to impress anyone.

Oh, and study something you want to study. Balance your courses, get core courses out of the way, then do what you love. It's the only way, unless what you love is quitting college.
Quote by chrisdazzo
Are you serious? You've been in college 4 weeks and you're considering quitting already? Well, not much I can say except suck it up. No college = no decent living in the future, regardless of what anyone else says. You won't be able to "jam" for a living, and your best bet is to study harder, get help with math, and stick out those four years or so. Try taking some courses in English, too. Those run-ons aren't going to impress anyone.

Oh, and study something you want to study. Balance your courses, get core courses out of the way, then do what you love. It's the only way, unless what you love is quitting college.

Maybe across the pond...
take a year of then..

relax mature a bit..
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
Try to find an alternative option. Study something else, perhaps. And don't get too down. everybody fails a class at some point.

Quote by Blagworth08
It would probably involve me getting a job and still going to college but taking music but ive only played guitar for a year and 1/2 and cant read music but im not sure if that a requirement

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just take the lowest level music theory class you can. All of the other kids in my class can read sheet music, but I'm still doing better than a lot of them.

Like one of my high school teachers said: You don't take a math class if you already know math. You wouldn't take a history class if you already know the answers. You take a class to learn the subject.
Quote by Cal UK
While I do agree with this to a certain extent you need to think about the Maths. College's get brownie points for having more kids doing 'real subjects', Maths, English, Sciences, so they let people onto the Maths course with Bs in Maths at GCSE. I think that really you need an A* to demonstrate you have the ability to do it at A Level.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's someone on here who got a B at GCSE then went on to get a B at A Level. However, you'll probs have to be working at the maths for 1-2 hours a night.

if your classmates had similar marks to you, and are passing, you clearly are spending your time incorrectly. Going to university/college involves learning to adapt to the new learning environment. Spend an hour a night reviewing each class, and study hte ones you have trouble with. Its really not that hard if you are devoted. It comes down to "shouldnt have taken the class you dont care for" brings down your GPA and possibly fail.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by archangels666

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just take the lowest level music theory class you can. All of the other kids in my class can read sheet music, but I'm still doing better than a lot of them.

Can you read sheet music though?
Gear:

Quote by JimmyBanks6
if your classmates had similar marks to you, and are passing, you clearly are spending your time incorrectly. Going to university/college involves learning to adapt to the new learning environment. Spend an hour a night reviewing each class, and study hte ones you have trouble with. Its really not that hard if you are devoted. It comes down to "shouldnt have taken the class you dont care for" brings down your GPA and possibly fail.

Yeah I know that now mate, I really had little mathematical ability, which then made me not devote myself to it. I could have probably passed the course, I'm just saying, if it doesn't come naturally to you you'll have to work hard.
Well, what i was ganna do anyway was do the A levels and then try find a job in the music industry in nyway, i have no other job ideas
Gear:

Quote by Blagworth08

I had the same problem when i joined college

now i earn well because i stuck with it and got As
Quote by Blagworth08

only 50% of people who get an A in maths gcse get a C or above in maths A level. tru fax

drop it and do a different subject. what i should have done
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by JimmyBanks6

+1

if it were easy, then everyone would do it. It just boils down to whether you have the determination or not to get the job done.

Don't be a pus$y and quit just because you failed one test. Jesus, and to want to go to school for music is a really really really tough field and the fact that you can't read music and have only been playing for less than 2 years isn't helping your cause.

You could be playing piano your whole life and know how to read music and still not get into a music school for various reasons, so I'd say you're musical aspirations are gonna result with you poor and wishing you had stuck with the math and actually tried to do good.

So what if you were good at math before. Obviously if you got a 46% you aren't good at the new material that is being taught and THAT is what you have to focus on.

Get your act together kid. In college you are looked at as an adult. Judging by the topic of this thread you still seem to be in high-school mode. Grow up, study, and get a good-paying job. The end.
PM me about logos and merch

Quote by RU Experienced?
Sorry man, I only know how to program in Db.

Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm so underground that I make up bands and songs in my head and don't tell anyone about them.
1 minute!

a 45 % is an E not a fail! 60% is a C. as long as you dont get a U its alright so stick at it and actually try i got a D in my first unit last year through hard work as i was predicted a U. unfortunatly during the summer exams i got 2 U's in maths as i had to focuson other exams aswell. but yeah try and you will be ok
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Now I know you aren't talking about quitting after you failed one test.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Look into other majors. Just because you aren't good at math doesn't mean you shouldn't be at college.
You aren't ready to major in music, I can tell you that much.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Blagworth08

46% is an E, a pass.

Anyway I got an A at Maths GCSE, failed the first test with 42% (an E), got a D in C1, D in M1 and a C in C2, leaving me a a D overall.

I dropped the subject and am doing Bio, Chem and history for A2 , currently predicted AAB, and last year I got BBBD.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
yeah cause a work is so easy to get,,, you're a kid still enjoy whatever time you still got an take a year of....
Quote by KingJak236

Quote by Kensai
four weeks? Nah, you can still swap, argue your case and don't take no for an answer, explain how its because you're "not a mathematical person but you didn't realise." If you say those words, I'm sure they will let you swap.

If its because you are actually bad at maths, then do the above, if not, man up, I just got a C in maths after averaging 20-50% all year, that was because I had a terrible teacher, I'm relearning C1 and C2 myself and I'm sure I can get upto a B or even an A at a2.
Study more? Seriously, contemplating quitting after failing one test is kind of ridiculous. You should probably begin utilizing the resourches that are available to you. If you continue to fail after that...well, you just ain't college material.
edit: I didn't mean to post here again but now that I did: switch majors!
PM me about logos and merch

Quote by RU Experienced?
Sorry man, I only know how to program in Db.

Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm so underground that I make up bands and songs in my head and don't tell anyone about them.
Last edited by Acronikos at Oct 14, 2009,
Atleast finish college, that'll help you get a better job than someone who didn't.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Page 1 of 2